Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
Firefox
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://members.home.nl/cwroossien/
since: 04 Feb, 2004
1. Firefox
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Is there java support for firefox?
or is it disabled?
It loads the java plugin and it apears in the plugin list..
But there is no java.. in mozilla there are no problems
Firefox is great but I miss java and I need it...
java 1.3.1, latest version. (npoj16.dll)

Chris

Date: 07 Mar, 2004 on 20:00
davidfor
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/djfos2
since: 20 Jan, 2003
2. Re:Firefox
Strictly, there isn't Java support in Firefox under OS/2. There is a file missing from the Firefox build that enables the connection between Firefox (or Mozilla) and plugins that have been not been built with the compiler that Firefox is now built with. Based on posts on the newsgroup and bugs in bugzilla, this file is not in Firefox and other recent release builds (it was never in the nightly builds) because there was a major bug in it. And, it appears a legal problem has come up with distributing this file.

But, if you really want to use Java with Firefox 0.8, you can get a copy of IPLUGINW.DLL from a Mozilla 1.6GA installation. This seems to be working fine here. I suspect that Firefox is less stable with this enabling Java, but, it's working well enough that I'm not worried, and I haven't found a consistent pattern to the failure. In fact, I'm more tempted blame Flash than Java. But, I also think this uses IPLUGINW.DLL to work fully.

If have a copy of IPLUGINW.DLL, put it into the COMPONENTS directory of you Firefox installation. Then, in the same directory, delete the file COMPREG.DAT, and restart Firefox.

If you can't find the file, I can send you a copy.

David
Date: 09 Mar, 2004 on 00:20
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://members.home.nl/cwroossien/
3. Re:Firefox
Thanks a lot.. David
I found this DLL and it works perfect..
I did not encounter any unstability problems (yet) but I bet its definitely not as unstable as the exploder.. so what are we complaining.. we are not working free for M$ beta testing:-)

but.. its weird.. I know mozilla/firefox went from VACC to GCC, that understandable because on the 'other' platform its written in GCC also.
I have the impression the OS2 port of GCC is not very good (yet), I know more plug-ins (DLL's) only work with the older VACC versions.. but this should not be true.. when you compile a program with one compiler and a DLL with another compiler they should work with eachother.. at least its true for BCC VACC ect.. I never used GCC (yet) myself..
At the same time you have to get the GCC run-time libraries from inotec.. a lot of people never read read.me files.. they have a problem..
At the same time.. when I look at the size of the mozilla and firebird executables and whatever extra's.. and I look at the size of the GCC run-time DLL's.. I really wonder why it has to be linked dynamically.. personally I prefer static linking with big program's...
But OK.. never mind.. mozilla and firefox is great stuff..

Date: 09 Mar, 2004 on 17:21
davidfor
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/djfos2
4. Re:Firefox

ChrisR (09 Mar, 2004 18:21):
Thanks a lot.. David
I found this DLL and it works perfect..
I did not encounter any unstability problems (yet) but I bet its definitely not as unstable as the exploder.. so what are we complaining.. we are not working free for M$ beta testing:-)

Good to hear it's working. The instability I've seen isn't bad, just annoying, because it always happens just at the wrong time.

but.. its weird.. I know mozilla/firefox went from VACC to GCC, that understandable because on the 'other' platform its written in GCC also.
I have the impression the OS2 port of GCC is not very good (yet), I know more plug-ins (DLL's) only work with the older VACC versions.. but this should not be true.. when you compile a program with one compiler and a DLL with another compiler they should work with eachother.. at least its true for BCC VACC ect.. I never used GCC (yet) myself..

I'm not exactly sure of the reasons for the IPLUGINW.DLL myself. My comment about its use came from reading something on the Mozilla OS/2 newsgroup. The post was by one of the IBM developers, and, didn't explain it anymore than what I've said.

At the same time you have to get the GCC run-time libraries from inotec.. a lot of people never read read.me files.. they have a problem..
At the same time.. when I look at the size of the mozilla and firebird executables and whatever extra's.. and I look at the size of the GCC run-time DLL's.. I really wonder why it has to be linked dynamically.. personally I prefer static linking with big program's...

This is due to legal problems. Something about the GCC or Mozilla licenses, or the IBM lawyers, means that IBM is not able to distribute the GCC run-time with Mozilla. Hopefully, this will get solved, but at the moment, it's an annoyance. And missing the need for the run-times seems to me to be more to do with the announcements posted. Most of the unofficial ones I've seen only post a link to the actual release files, when they should be posting a link to the announcement page.

David
Date: 09 Mar, 2004 on 23:56
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
5. Re:Firefox
Perhaps if one copied the plugins/plugins directory from Mozilla or Netscape for OS/2 to where FireFox is installed? Could this work with Firefox?
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2 Warp-ed to the very end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 11 Mar, 2004 on 19:21
davidfor
Premium member
in user

6. Re:Firefox

BigWarpGuy (11 Mar, 2004 20:21):
Perhaps if one copied the plugins/plugins directory from Mozilla or Netscape for OS/2 to where FireFox is installed? Could this work with Firefox?

Yes, that does work for most plugins, is well documented, and, based on the original post, is what was done. And, it is well documented what plugins work. But, the problem is that for the Java plugin to work properly in the GCC built versions of Mozilla (from 1.5)and Firefox (from 0.7), something extra is needed. This is the IPLUGINW.DLL that I wrote about.

David
Date: 11 Mar, 2004 on 22:59
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

7. Re:Firefox
You were right, its the flash (commercial banners in flash) what makes problens in firefox.
Well, I don't need flash. actually its very irritating..
Without it I've been spared a lot of irritation:-)
Date: 15 Mar, 2004 on 09:32
Firefox
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: