Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
screen blanker with ecs 1.1
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
bobvirago
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 14 Feb, 2004
1. screen blanker with ecs 1.1
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
i just change my monitor for 19 "" flat screen
it is possible to sleep down the monitor after 15 minutes d'inactivity ..

i dont see this option on ecs 1.1

robert

Date: 10 Mar, 2004 on 13:56
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Nov, 2002
2. Re:screen blanker with ecs 1.1

bobvirago (10 Mar, 2004 14:56):
robert

Robert,

there is no "direct" option for doing this in eCS AFAIK. However, there are some other ways of getting it done. The two ways of enabling the sleep are
1) make sure the video card output is "blank" or
2) use a "command" to enter DPMS standby

Personally, I use Sigfried Hanisch's ScreenSaver which has an option to do the DPMS mode - in combination with the ScreenSaver modules running (or not).
This is one way of doing the sleep - the ScreenSaver's DPMS call equals what I said above (2: use a command)

If you have no such ScreenSaver (or other software) doing the work, you can still use the WPS lockup feature. Make sure you don't turn on the "screensaver" mode, because it will display a moving "lock" symbol which in return produces video activity. By turning off the screensaving mode the WPS lockup will only display a static bitmap (if selected) or just turn blank the screen - alog with a non-moving lock symbol. This is what we want to achieve, because it means that there is no video activities...
Then, depending on your machines BIOS features, you can try to set up the according video-off mode.
I can't promise that all this *will* work for you, as it's a matter of several prerequisites. Also, it depends on what power saving modes your flat panel display does support...

Hope this helps in any way. Keeping fingers crossed.

Thomas

Date: 10 Mar, 2004 on 15:09
bobvirago
Normal member
in user

3. Re:screen blanker with ecs 1.1
video ouput blank
my video card is a matrox 450g with snap video driiver

i check in my bios i have apm setup for video
i want just after 15 minutes , the monitor go to sleep mode

dpms it is a software includ with ecs

1) make sure the video card output is "blank" or
2) use a "command" to enter DPMS standby

Date: 10 Mar, 2004 on 23:20
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

4. Re:screen blanker with ecs 1.1
Hi Robert,

i check in my bios i have apm setup for video
i want just after 15 minutes , the monitor go to sleep mode

Okay, but as long as there is activity from your graphics card, it won't enter the sleep mode. So you have to make sure your operating system does not provide video activity. This can be enabled by the WPS lockup displaying either a bitmap background when the lockup starts or simply nothing. Check with right-click on desktop, then use the settings dialog. There should be a tab called "lockup".

my video card is a matrox 450g with snap video driiver

Okay - fine. You can check the power saving modes supported by snap and the video card via the "configuation program" (gactrl.exe) object in the snap folder. Use option "7" to test what happens if the video card switches to suspend mode: The LCD panel should enter "sleep".

dpms it is a software includ with ecs

No, DPMS is an industry standard for power saving modes of display devices. It uses special commands sent to the video card/monitor. Your display driver should support DPMS. But, as I said above, this depends on various settings. Either the system BIOS detects that there is no "new" output from your video card for a certain time and switches to DPMS standby/suspend or you use a software (3rd party) that turns the sleep mode on (in my case it's the screensaver).

Have you got a BIOS option like "video off method" ? Then set it to DPMS. Some BIOSes also have "DPMS mode" option that can be set to "blank" or "DPMS" or "V/H blank" or something else... what are your BIOS options? Maybe we can find the right setting for you...

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 11 Mar, 2004 on 09:40
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

5. Re:screen blanker with ecs 1.1
Robert,

there's a *free* program from hobbes that might solve your problems: go to http://hobbes.nmsu.edu and search for "black100".
This requires the emx runtime, but as you have eCS installed, this should already be the case... I just ran the program with the -g option (to turn off display immediately) and it works without problems here.

If you have any remaining problems, there is some more thing I recalled: Check the "energy" object in your system configuration. It has an entry "settings" (or is it "properties" in the english eCS?) in its system menu. This should give you information if APM mode is active (installed) in your eCS.

Hope this helps.
Greetings
Thomas

bobvirago (10 Mar, 2004 14:56):

robert

Date: 11 Mar, 2004 on 12:11
Cris
Premium member
in user

since: 20 Nov, 2003
6. Re:screen blanker with ecs 1.1
last updated at 11 Mar, 2004 15:13 (1 times)
Hi WarpCafe,

WarpCafe (11 Mar, 2004 00:20):
If you have no such ScreenSaver (or other software) doing the work, you can still use the WPS lockup feature. Make sure you don't turn on the "screensaver" mode, because it will display a moving "lock" symbol which in return produces video activity. By turning off the screensaving mode the WPS lockup will only display a static bitmap (if selected) or just turn blank the screen - alog with a non-moving lock symbol. This is what we want to achieve, because it means that there is no video activities...

Just a little correction:
it is not the "screensaver mode" option that needs to be turned off, but the "auto-dim" option (first page in the "lockup" tab). The "screensaver mode" option simply disables the use of a password to access the desktop. The "auto-dim" option instead is responsible for the screen going black and the moving lock being displayed. It is explained in the online help too.

Thankyou!
Bye

Cris

Date: 11 Mar, 2004 on 15:11
bobvirago
Normal member
in user

7. Re:screen blanker with ecs 1.1
finally i install blackout )black100)

with this parametrr

-l -m -t 30 -b 0 it is exaclty do , ,what i want

thanks

robert

Date: 12 Mar, 2004 on 17:11
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

8. Re:screen blanker with ecs 1.1

Cris (11 Mar, 2004 16:13):
Hi WarpCafe,

Just a little correction:
it is not the "screensaver mode" option that needs to be turned off, but the "auto-dim" option (first page in the "lockup" tab). The "screensaver mode" option simply disables the use of a password to access the desktop. The "auto-dim" option instead is responsible for the screen going black and the moving lock being displayed. It is explained in the online help too.
Cris

Cris,

thanks for the clarification. Sometimes it's not easy to "guess" what a certain option is called in the english version if you're having only a german one before you. I think I must have messed them up. You are right - I just gave it a try...

Bye
Thomas

Date: 12 Mar, 2004 on 18:12
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

9. Re:screen blanker with ecs 1.1

bobvirago (12 Mar, 2004 18:11):
it is exaclty do , ,what i want
thanks
robert

Nover mind - Great! Good to know that it worked and the problem is solved.
Greetings
Thomas

Date: 12 Mar, 2004 on 18:14
screen blanker with ecs 1.1
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: