Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
OS/2 and eCS mysteries ??
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://members.home.nl/cwroossien/
since: 04 Feb, 2004
1. OS/2 and eCS mysteries ??
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
last updated at 02 Apr, 2004 11:26 (2 times)
Many years ago I was using win 3.11.. then M$ came with win95 which I did not need but M$ told me that I needed it and stopped win 3.11 support trying to force me to use this 95 thing...
So I went to the shop and bought OS/2 2.1.. I'm in charge of my PC and not M$.
In these years OS/2 and later eCS became better and better but it still did run and supported my 2. (and earlier) programs.. I liked it. if I want I can still use 2.1 (with some newer drivers) so it did give me the freedom I wanted...
I learned a lot about OS2.. I did write many nice programs in it...
Still OS2 has some weird mysteries.;..

1- Xfolder came and it was interesting.. the startup folder of OS2 did have a few problems.. once about every 25 times at startup the desktop froze... the xfolder startup solved this problem but brought another problem..
Very randomly it could not start the programs in it.. sometimes it was one, sometimes there were 3 and different ones all the times, it did give this screen saying the file did not exist or a DLL was not found.. we all know it... but clicking on the icons myself there was no problem..
After some testing and debugging I discovered that it's the FFST.EXE, when I unlocked it and renamed it so OS2 couldn't find it the xstartup worked perfectly!!
So I have 2 choices, stop using FFST or back to the OS2 startup folder..
But where or what is the connection with Xstartup and FFST?? Its a complete mystery???

2- The FAT32 driver came and I needed it.. but the kernel crashed with it..
Because I needed it did look into the problem and after some weeks I found the course..
FAT32 has problems with the LAN encryption drivers like FWIP.SYS, IPSEC.SYS, CDMF.SYS and MD5.SYS.. its or FAT32 or encryption... not both..
But what does the encryption has to do with FAT32??? another mystery
Wait... there are more...

3- When I start my NETGUI.EXE (LAN admin.. ) it was missing a DLL.. CPPOOR3U.DLL.
This is not a standard OS2 DLL.. I did have it.. several times in the path of programs whom needed it but not in my libpath... (but does NETGUI behave on a system who doesn't have this DLL like a fresh OS2 eCS install?) ..
Okidoki.. I copied this DLL into my libpath.. and NETGUI goes a step further...
Now it gives me this error message ;
-------------------------
IInvalidParameter exception thrown on thread 4.
Location Information: (2 entries)
Location entry #: 0
function: UIFWStatics::getUIFWAtomTable()
file: F:\uifwmcs\src\admgui\uifw\mc\c\uistatic.cpp
line: 113.
Location entry #: 1
function: CMAP_InitProduct(ULONG)
file: F:\uifwmcs\src\admgui\uifw\mc\c\duicmapp.c
line: 903.
Error ID is 1
Exception text is:
Unable to load text from message file.
---------------------------------
How come NETGUI needs a DLL what normally shouldn't be present... and why does it not work??
OK.. lets see.. its a VACPP DLL, I have VACPP installed and I'm loading the performance driver on startup...
So. lets smoke a few cigars and see what happens...
Probably NETGUI is written in VACPP.. yeah... probably.. but then it could be an older version of VACPP..
Probably IBM left some testing/debugging code in it.. yeah.. probably ...
It does find my VACPP driver.. could be??.. but its a wrong version and still it tries to use it to report.. .. hmmm....
Am I still logical.. can you still follow me?.. I'm not sure I can... but my NETGUI freezezzz
Next weekend I have to do some testing.. I suppose you can quess what I do first.. ?
But I need my VACPP.. can I life without NETGUI??

I love OS2... it keeps my brain going and helps me to look young...
But its expensive on cigars....

Well. OK.. I did wrestle about a year with Linux (SuSe 6.1) when it became popular I got curious because when win 3.11 disappeared I did try it one day (before buying OS2) and one day was to much already for my poor brain.. Although the SuSe 6.1 was a big improvement I still needed half year vacation after it.. Linux is build on mysteries.. when something did work without my interference and without editing dozens of textfiles spread all over the hiargy.. .... I fell from my chair.... .... ... so I'm used to mysteries..

Chris..

Date: 01 Apr, 2004 on 16:57
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://members.home.nl/cwroossien/
2. Re:OS/2 and eCS mysteries ??
Nope... its realy not a April fools joke...
I should have placed it yesterday or tomorrow.. I have a sense of humor but I'm very serieus..
Date: 01 Apr, 2004 on 19:44
Fudeba
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.caetano.eng.br/
since: 31 Oct, 2003
3. Re:OS/2 and eCS mysteries ??
Do you have toolkit installed?
Take a look at SOM.IR order.
Also, take a look at your LIBPATH.
I had several "bizarre" problems like those you reported...
And every single time it was related to those subjects. (^=
Date: 02 Apr, 2004 on 04:26
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

4. Re:OS/2 and eCS mysteries ??
Yes I have the toolkit but the toolkit and VACPP use command lines to set their environments (libpath also) The installer does this and I left it this way,thats why I have no vppooxx.dll ect in my libpath..
I did experiment a lot with the libpath order.. and sometimes I wonder about the place of the dot, but always I end up with putting as the first one.
The libpath got my suspicion also..
The SOM.IR order I did not think about... That I could try..
Thanks for the hint...

Chris..

Date: 02 Apr, 2004 on 09:40
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

5. Re:OS/2 and eCS mysteries ??
Its not the order of the SOM... there is nothing wrong in it.
The libpath all seem to be correct.
But I discovered that the order of the config.sys statements is very important, specially the devices (and the call/run? )
Many years ago with OS2 2.1 I did read somewhere something about the order the kernel executes the config.sys statements and placing the config.sys in this order would improve performance.. so I did order my config.sys, no noticeable improvements but I liked it because it was a lot more readable..
Of course I soon found out this won't work for the network part
Anyway, I went to HOBBES and downloaded the latest config-sort utility but this only rearranged the types of my sys file, not the individual drivers... its logical of course..
So before testing every config-sort from hobbies... does anyone know of a real intelligent config-sort??..
Anyway.. for now I did solve a few problems.. (the FAT32 problem) by installing a fresh eCS inside VPC and copies this config.sys.. sort it with the above config-sort to make it more readable, printed it and order my config more or less in this way.. (of course I have a lot more in my 'real' config.sys.. )
This solved the FAT32 problem.. I did not test the Xstartup yet because I didn't have one anymore.. (I have to reregister this class ect. )
But netgui .. .. nope nope.. ..
Removing the VACPP performance driver changed nothing also so I wasted my cigars )
OK.. xfolder comes with a OS2 kernel class.. that's a big help...
This showed me that I had a few paths in my libpath and path whom don't exist anymore.. ..
(probably from programs I tested and removed) if its not a problem then its at least a waste of environment space..
But the OS2 kernel class did find duplicates in the paths.. and this was interesting..
It found duplicates of LSI.MSG and LSIH.MSG in strange places, the MMOS2 dir. and in the OS2\OBJDESK dir...
Editing these files it was clear it had to do with LAN.. they were different versions and one even still was in Dutch.. . .. its a long time ago I used a Dutch OS2 version.. !!!!
(What are these files doing in my MMOS2 and OBJDESK dir. )
So probably my NETGUI problems are related to a not properly removed very old LAN version..
I did not used LAN for many years because I had no network and a long time I used dial-in with a modem..
Actually I switched from cable to phone and back to cable again ..
(when I got Internet at work the cable was expensive at that time to use only about half hour a day.. but because of the ADSL concurrence now its very cheap again. (1/4 of what I had to pay before.. )
So.. the order of the config.sys is really important.. don't ever mess with your config.sys..
Still its weird the NETGUI wants a DLL what should not be present.. and never was in my libpath before.. so even if a class (or driver?) needed it.. it could never have found it before..
Those 2 programs what had it in their own dir. have nothing to do with drivers or classes..
I used SHOWDLLS to find out where this CPPxxx DLL is needed and SHOWDLLS don't trace it.. according to SHOWDLLS it shouldn't be needed.. ??
I'm out of cigars... ..

Chris..

Date: 04 Apr, 2004 on 14:55
DavidG
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 04 Apr, 2004
6. Re:OS/2 and eCS mysteries ??
2- The FAT32 driver came and I needed it.. but the kernel crashed with it..
Because I needed it did look into the problem and after some weeks I found the course..
FAT32 has problems with the LAN encryption drivers like FWIP.SYS, IPSEC.SYS, CDMF.SYS and MD5.SYS.. its or FAT32 or encryption... not both..
But what does the encryption has to do with FAT32??? another mystery
Wait... there are more...

What version of the driver are you using? The latest is 0.98 found at Netlabs.

David

Date: 04 Apr, 2004 on 20:56
icebear
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 17 Jun, 2001
7. Re: OS/2 and eCS mysteries ??
Hi Chris
let me ask you ONE thing first ...
... and express ANOTHER thing later:

1) Exactly what version and FP do you use ?

2) Collecting ALL mysteries into ONE posting is somewhat bad !
Why ?

If you post each of your problem(s) as a single post with its respective subject
it would attract the competent people better !!!

Another problem an OS/2 user faces today:
Without, quite expensive SWC, some driveris are un-available !

An alternative to OS/2 and SWC is eCS !!

With eCS one has support like with SWC subscription )

Good luck !

Date: 05 Apr, 2004 on 11:09
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

8. Re:OS/2 and eCS mysteries ??

DavidG (04 Apr, 2004 20:56):

What version of the driver are you using? The latest is 0.98 found at Netlabs.

David

The first thing to do is to get and try the latest drivers .. of course..
But accidentially (hoping to solve my netgui problem) the fat32 problem? is solved..

Chris

Date: 05 Apr, 2004 on 16:44
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

9. Re: OS/2 and eCS mysteries ??

sam (05 Apr, 2004 11:09):
1) Exactly what version and FP do you use ?

eCS 1.0 and the latest upgrade/fixpack CD I think its FP3?
Every day I look at eComStation.com but there is no new FP now some while.

2) Collecting ALL mysteries into ONE posting is somewhat bad !
Why ?

If you post each of your problem(s) as a single post with its respective subject
it would attract the competent people better !!!

I don't see why its bad?.. maybe it is.. maybe not..
But I think its all connected to same problem.. or at least I thought.
And I'm not only speciffic asking for answers here, I'm also sharing my experiances and thoughts about it..
I don't realty expect someone to have a straight solution.. specially from a distance..
Maybe some hints.. to put me on another road?..

Another problem an OS/2 user faces today:
Without, quite expensive SWC, some driveris are un-available !
An alternative to OS/2 and SWC is eCS !!
With eCS one has support like with SWC subscription )
Good luck !

Yeah.. the SWC is a story itself.. its a big book by now..
I can use some luck.. thanks..

Chris

Date: 05 Apr, 2004 on 16:55
OS/2 and eCS mysteries ??
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: