Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
Norman VC5: Teasing update reminder popup
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Nov, 2002
1. Norman VC5: Teasing update reminder popup
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hi folks,

for any reason I'm unable to imagine, my NVC5 keeps popping up the updat reminder, even if I just downloaded new signatures, even WHILE downloading new signatures. This happens at every bootup and even during work (each 60 minutes or so).
Okay - you might tell me "what the heck are you asking *us* - ask Norman support!" ...and you're right. Unfortunately, I *did* ask them two weeks ago, but they simply didn't react until now. So I'll ask here...:
Does anyone of you have an idea what might cause that annoyance? As far as I can tell, the whole mess started with a signature update. The serial number is okay and the license has not expired... suggestions, anyone?

TIA and greetings
Thomas

Date: 30 Apr, 2004 on 09:06
HarryWho
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.niclan.homeip.net
since: 24 Apr, 2004
2. Re:Norman VC5: Teasing update reminder popup
I have had that same problem and in my case, I found that after a update Norman had left a 'temp file' in Z:\Norman\Temp. It seeme to me that if Norman sees this file after an update, Norman will ask if you want to do a REBOOT and/or check for an virus update.

I just deleted the file and all was OK after that..

Apart from that, I've no real other idea.

bld

Date: 30 Apr, 2004 on 09:51
RDeCS
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 30 Apr, 2004
3. Re:Norman VC5: Teasing update reminder popup
Hi,

I had 2 times with NVC after virus signature upgrade.
The firsst problem was a popup message about NVC error.
The last problem I had was a very long scan time and finally OS/2 was unable to boot correctly (trap nvc driver).

The increased up to 1h00 on a XP2600+ with S-ATA disks
(after correction, time decreased to 14 mns !)

Each time, I could correct the problem after uninstalling NVC (go into the directory and run to correct program), re-boot and delete remaining files. Then, install NVC, re-boot, connect for updates, it will download the latest release and virus signature files and wait some minutes before attemping a new re-boot with the latest available scan engine and virus definitions from NVC.
To prevent from possible problems, I decided to not work with files during a few minutes after NVC update

The process didn't take a long time

Hope this can help you.
RDeCs

Date: 30 Apr, 2004 on 09:55
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

4. Re:Norman VC5: Teasing update reminder popup
Folks,

thanks for the hints.
I know the "you need to reboot" message as well. This is caused by a LANLK.SYS not being run correctly due to some error, which leaves a "nupd.sem" in the temp directory of NVC.
Delete it - and it's okay.
But the update reminder message (unfortunately) is different. I don't know why zanda (or is it zlh.exe?) pops up with that. I tried to uninstall, delete everything (even NVC-related entries within the OS/2 ini files) and reinstalled it, but it doesn't change a thing - the message is right back after the first internet update is run...

Maybe someone else has additional suggestions?
Thanks anyway!

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 30 Apr, 2004 on 15:11
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

5. Solved: Norman VC5 / Teasing update reminder popup
First of all: Thanks for all the suggestions. OS/2 World seems to evolve into a valuable source of user2user support...

Now here we go:
I found that the problem comes with an internet update that includes changes which require a file replacement based upon IBMLANLK.SYS:

After digging into what's under the hood, I found that although the IBMLANLK log says "completed successfully", the temporary files (from the internet update retrieval) still remain and NOTHING WAS CHANGED!
Thus, the update reminder will appear again and again and again, because the updates are retrieved but not installed.
The message thus actually IS RIGHT but it's the update installer process who's to blame!

To anyone who might have this problem with the update reminder appearing although you fell "up to date":
1) Check if there is a "NORMAN.LST" file in your \OS2\INSTALL path.
2) If so, restart OS/2, use Alt-F1 then F2 to boot into a command line session.
3) Perform the actions stated in NORMAN.LST manually. (Okay, a little tedious to move/rename files, but...)
4) You're done. Reboot.
5) If "norman.lst" contains a "DOSX ...NRMORB.EXE /Install" then simply run it that way - it will cause a safe reboot. I don't know if it does anything in addition (because of the /Install switch) but anyway: Reminder gone.

To complete this topic, here's what to do if you're prompted to reboot at each bootup: This one will appear when ZANDA is loaded and there is a "nupd.sem" file in the program directory...
If you're sure that you already booted once since the update was retrieved and there is no "norman.lst" left like described above: Go to the program installation directory (e.g. C:\NORMAN). There might be a "nupd.sem" file left which size is 0 (zero) bytes.Remove the file. Done.

P.P.S.: Four days ago, I sent another email to Norman's support and kindly aksed them to reply at least (even in case they cannot help). I tol dthem that I'm a registered user of three licenses of Security Suite and that I feel like not being a valued and welcome customer... No response so far. That's not polite.
Seems like noone is reading mails at Norman: My partner applied for a "Norman authorized reseller" contract and... no response. Strange. I had some good experiences with Norman support last year...

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 12 May, 2004 on 14:38
Sushenjit
Normal member
in user

since: 01 Jul, 2003
6. Re:Norman VC5: Teasing update reminder popup
Every once in a while I get the following error messge from Norman:

Error message: Unexpected error returned from library:

Context: TellThemImRunning
Routine: NrmCreateEventSem
Error value: 0x00000057
Error code: NRMRC_INVALID_PARAMETER

How do I fix this?

Sushenjit

Date: 13 May, 2004 on 01:44
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

7. Re:Norman VC5: Teasing update reminder popup

Sushenjit (13 May, 2004 01:44):
Every once in a while I get the following error messge from Norman:

Error message: Unexpected error returned from library:

Context: TellThemImRunning
Routine: NrmCreateEventSem
Error value: 0x00000057
Error code: NRMRC_INVALID_PARAMETER

How do I fix this?

Sushenjit

Hi,

NVC tries to create an event semaphore (probably for consolidating its own subthreads) but there is a problem. Could be a timing problem (running too early or too late and thus colliding with something else). But basically - I have no idea. Tell us...:
- is the error related to "some specific action" that happened before (like internet update)?
- When does it occur: At machine startup or while it's running?

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 13 May, 2004 on 11:38
Sushenjit
Normal member
in user

since: 01 Jul, 2003
8. Re:Norman VC5: Teasing update reminder popup
Norman is configured to look for updates in internet within 15 minutes of 1 AM. However, this messege pops up along with internet update window at all times of the day apparently at random.

On the brighter side, I have not seen this messege since the last reboot.

Thanks

Sushenjit

Date: 14 May, 2004 on 01:35
Rodders
Normal member
in user

since: 24 Mar, 2001
9. Re:Norman VC5: Teasing update reminder popup
I HAD the same problem - after an update Norman Anti-virus kept telling me to re-boot. After reading this thread I deleted NUPD.SEM & NORMAN.LST anf voila - no moer silly message. Thanks chaps.
Date: 14 May, 2004 on 14:46
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

10. Re:Norman VC5: Teasing update reminder popup

Rodders (14 May, 2004 14:46):
I HAD the same problem - after an update Norman Anti-virus kept telling me to re-boot. After reading this thread I deleted NUPD.SEM & NORMAN.LST anf voila - no moer silly message. Thanks chaps.

Rodders,

did you make sure that there was nothing but
"delete nupd.sem"
in the "norman.lst" before deleting it? If not, you might have missed some file update... (just to let you be aware...)

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 14 May, 2004 on 18:49
melf
Premium member
in staff

since: 11 Apr, 2003
11. Re:Norman VC5: Teasing update reminder popup
By the way... do one have to have a virusprogramme when running OS/2 and eComStation? As far as I know there is only three known viruses for OS/2 and I guess not many users use FAT -partitons in there OS/2-system. Could you give me a comment on that?
Date: 16 May, 2004 on 00:49
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

12. Re:Norman VC5: Teasing update reminder popup

melf (16 May, 2004 00:49):
By the way... do one have to have a virusprogramme when running OS/2 and eComStation? As far as I know there is only three known viruses for OS/2 and I guess not many users use FAT -partitons in there OS/2-system. Could you give me a comment on that?

Actually, on a stand-alone Warp machine, you won't need antivirus. In addition, you probably won't be running MS Outlook on OS/2, right? But if you find yourself on a network with Windows machines it might be useful to have at least one machine that has no security leaks. The ideal case would be a Warp server with antivirus software in order to protect the network attached machines to spread viruses via shares.
For me it comes in handy to have antivirus: Even if the viruses and worms won't hurt my machine, I am able to identify and intercept them (from within mails for example) and put them on a media I use in testing windows machines.

But as for an "ordinary end-user" stand-alone os/2 machine, you are right that there is (up to now) no need to have an AV software.

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 16 May, 2004 on 13:34
Rodders
Normal member
in user

since: 24 Mar, 2001
13. Re:Norman VC5: Teasing update reminder popup

melf (16 May, 2004 00:49):

Yes - that was the only entry

Date: 16 May, 2004 on 16:32
Norman VC5: Teasing update reminder popup
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: