Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
Palm Pilot and OS/2-eCS?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
1. Palm Pilot and OS/2-eCS?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Is there a way/program to sync a Palm Pilot with OS/2-eCS?
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2 Warp-ed/eComStation-ed to the very end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 19 May, 2004 on 14:52
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:Palm Pilot and OS/2-eCS?
Well the is always jSyncManager, check following news posting. I haven't tried it myself since I'm a Psion Revo user.... but, as far as I understand the jSyncManager is rather good.
Date: 19 May, 2004 on 16:19
Douglas Clark
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 29 Jan, 2004
3. Re:Palm Pilot and OS/2-eCS?

BigWarpGuy (19 May, 2004 14:52):

That depends on what you are syncing with. StarOffice 5.1 has a snyc program that will sync the palm device with some of the apps in StarOffice. There is an article about it in OS2Ezine.

ManplatoSync will backup, restore and load applications on a palm device. It will also sync between Lotus Notes and the palm (or else there is an add-on product that does it with ManplatoSync - I don't remember which.) That is available from IBM Alphaworks. ManplatoSync also has an API that you can write your own conduits for syncing between the palm handheld apps and OS/2 apps, butt there are no already-written conduits that I know of. This runs with Java 1.18, but you need a DLL for handling the communications between the serial port and Java. There is also an article about ManplatoSync on OS2eZine that describes the DLL, and how to install Manplato. I use this to backup my palm on Ecs 1.0 and 1.1

jSyncManager is an updated, open-sourced version of ManplatoSync, written by Brad Barclay, who also wrote ManplatoSync. Steve Levine is writing a conduit to sync the palm application(s) with Sundial's relish PIM. jSyncManager requires Java 3. I tried to get jSyncManager to work on my machine around Dec of 2003 and was not successful, although obviously lots of other people have gotten it to work.

As a side note - we are trying to get Brad to teach a class on writing conduits for the palm using jSyncManager at Warpstock 2004. He is very enthusiastic about it but doesn't know if he will be able to get the time off to come. If that interests you check www.warpstock.org to see if the class gets scheduled.

There is also a "sync" or communication product called PilotLink (I believe that is the name). It is a port of a sync/communication program developed in the Linux world. I tried that a number of years ago and was not successful getting it to work. As far as I know there are no conduits to sync data between OS/2 applications and the handheld for Pilot link.

Finally you have two other possibilites: ODIN and Virtual PC. In both of these instances you would load the Palm desktop and run that, either under ODIN or VPC. HotSync would happen via the HotSync Manager provided with the Palm Desktop. There is an article in a previous VOICE newletter (www.os2voice.org) describing how to run the Palm Desktop under ODIN.

I have tried both of those with no luck. If I remember correctly I never did get the Palm Desktop to install under ODIN. I got the desktop to install under VPC but the HotSync would never complete; it would run for a very long time and then fail.

I have heard some people talk about OpenOffice having a palm sync capabillity, which would make sense seeing how OpenOffice is basically StarOffice v 7. But I am not familiar with OpenOffice.

Date: 20 May, 2004 on 00:42
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
4. Re:Palm Pilot and OS/2-eCS?
Thanks for the information. I have StarOffice for OS/2 5.1 and I can download OpenOffice (if I don't find where I had it before on my hard drive) to try it.
BigWarpGuy
Date: 20 May, 2004 on 14:19
Sushenjit
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 01 Jul, 2003
5. Re:Palm Pilot and OS/2-eCS?

BigWarpGuy (19 May, 2004 14:52):

I have tried both PilotLink and JsyncManager with success. They both work with serial port. I like PilotLink better. The install routine generates a folder full of objects that makes backup and restore easy. I like the object that allows you to drag and drop a text file and it gets translated to memo-pad notes in the Palm. I couldn't find a way to do this via JSyncManager.

PilotLink is old but it still works for me. YMMV.

Date: 20 May, 2004 on 16:51
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

6. Re:Palm Pilot and OS/2-eCS?
I had won a bid on a Palm IIIC at eBay. According to the manual (I found it online and downloaded), it connects to the computer via a serial port. I will try the different program(s) recommended. The help is appreciated.
BigWarpGuy
Date: 21 May, 2004 on 15:15
Lazy
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://llazy.dyndns.org
since: 19 Sep, 2004
7. Re:Palm Pilot and OS/2-eCS?
Can anybody help with PilotLink? I'm using it at about one year, buh last 3 or 4 months it mainly didn't detect my Palm. Just as if it was not plugged on. But in the same time windooze PalmDsktop works fine. I've tried to replace COM.SYS with SIO, also to lock the lower speed, even use mode com1 dtr=on / off but nothing helps. Does anybody solve such problem?

---
The LazyEst/2 Station (2:450/146)
Date: 20 Sep, 2004 on 06:58
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

since: 26 Nov, 2002
8. Re:Palm Pilot and OS/2-eCS?

Lazy (20 Sep, 2004 06:5:
Can anybody help with PilotLink? I'm using it at about one year, buh last 3 or 4 months it mainly didn't detect my Palm. Just as if it was not plugged on. But in the same time windooze PalmDsktop works fine. I've tried to replace COM.SYS with SIO, also to lock the lower speed, even use mode com1 dtr=on / off but nothing helps. Does anybody solve such problem?

Hi,
most probably, it's a configuration problem. Some setting might have changed in OS/2 regarding either your com port(s) or the PilotLink software.
Did you try to do a "fresh reinstall" of PilotLink - even to a different directory?
Once you start a bakup for example, does it say "press hotsync button on cradle"? And then - what happens?

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 20 Sep, 2004 on 12:25
Palm Pilot and OS/2-eCS?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: