Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
OT: Linux over weight
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
devnul
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 04 Jul, 2003
1. OT: Linux over weight
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
>From: Jason Stefanovich

>I haven't been keeping up with the Linux desktop scene much, but after >reading this story on /. The troubles users claim with speed and stability are >enlightening. One user claims that another is crazy to try to run Linux on a >K6-300 with 128Mb and recommends a 1Ghz+ system with 256Mb.

Seems Jason (and others) are overseeing that a company in Redmond does currently what it can do (and OS/2 users should know what it can do) to blame Linux.

Do we have forgotten the FUD against OS/2, that we need to duplicate the one against Linux ?

No I don't want to switch to Linux, I have it since more than 8 years (starting with 486 computers having 24MB Ram) installed parallel to OS/2 and OS/2 remains main OS. Although I discovered some green-grass not growing on OS/2

Date: 12 Jun, 2004 on 19:55
devnul
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
2. Re:OT: Linux over weight
Some examples how 'over weight' can easily achieved using OS/2:

Use an Java Image application and open a slightly bigger image (let's say 50MB or so) geesh, although I have 512 MB RAM installed my swap file is endless growing even with the simpliest tasks. Conclusion OS/2 needs more than 512 MB RAM

So I'd better open with another app a really small (450Kb !) image and do some advanced manipulations (like e.g. projective transformation). Oh my good what's that ? The app crashes due to having too less memory (remember 512MB are installed). Conclusion OS/2 needs - at least - 1Gig of RAM.

Okay I'd better watch a DVD for relaxing. Hm with a P3 800 I get ~100% CPU usage and the video is stuttering (haven't I read that other OS need 450Mhz min. ?). Conclusion OS/2 needs - at least - a 1Ghz CPU.

I see OS/2 is not capable to do enhanced tasks, so I'd better stay writing some letters (was even possible with my 8086 having 512KBRam) luckily OpenOffice 1.1 is now available for OS/2 too. Damn what shitty OS is this ? it needs more RAM and more CPU cycles than the Windows version without Odin-wrapper...

Conclusion, to be on the save side use for OS/2 a (min. P4 2Ghz and 1Gbyte of RAM. Wait a little, if OS/2 will ever get dropshadows (like latest patched Kwin Windowmanager) or transparency effects (like it can be enabeled by default on KDE 3.2.*) or all the other Eye-Candies other OS already offer ... How many Horses will I need then ?

Date: 12 Jun, 2004 on 23:57
stefanj
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home1.gte.net/vzn05zki/
since: 25 Apr, 2003
3. Re:OT: Linux over weight
Have you read the /. post?
It's talking specifically about KDE and Gnome desktop fat! Not saying that linux is fat in and of itself. Regardless, your comments about Java are specious and would apply on any and every platform it runs on.

Cheers,
Jason

Date: 14 Jun, 2004 on 15:13
devnul
Normal member
in user

4. Re:OT: Linux over weight

stefanj (14 Jun, 2004 15:13):
Have you read the /. post?
It's talking specifically about KDE and Gnome desktop fat!

I've stopped reading after some several hundred replies ...

Do you remember the times when the WPS was considered too fat and several replacements (with reduced functionality) where available ?

It was/is no my aim to defend Linux/KDE/Gnome, nor to blame OS/2.

But you should know that it's always easy to find hundreds of con's for every OS.

If you would have written that you can't understand why so many people want to see an Gimp port for OS/2, although it has difficulties to work with files >25MB Ah, that reminds me on situation with actual Image processing apps on OS/2. So maybe one in the hand is better than two in the bush (especially when it is in a desert

Date: 14 Jun, 2004 on 16:23
OT: Linux over weight
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: