Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
Support information for Sytos
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Sam
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 05 Feb, 2004
1. Support information for Sytos
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hi

Is there any where in the internet one can search the support information of sytos for OS/2 2.x (from Veritas) ?

Or is there any end user community which share the usage experience of discontinued OS/2 products ?

Thanks in adance.

Date: 16 Jul, 2004 on 16:46
icebear
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 17 Jun, 2001
2. Re: Support information for Sytos ;-(
SYTOS, I am still using it too, is a very old SW and came from Sytron !
Sytron went to Seagate some years ago !!
In the meantime they are nowhere !!!

One has only one chance:
Either it works with your environment ...
... or one has to forget it !!

If one needs a serious Backup Tool, with OS/2 Support, there is:

Christies PC-BaX and here is the link (in German only):

http://www.cristie.de/index.php?id=26

Date: 17 Jul, 2004 on 11:50
Sam
Premium member
in user

3. Re:Support information for Sytos
Thanks first for the info. But I am out of luck becasue I don't know German.

I asked this question because I am aslo the user of Sytos Premium software. Just want to see whether help can be found somewhere.

I remember there should be a end user based self help sites for OS/2 related software, but cannot recall its exact URL.

Would appreciate for any information for this.

Thanks again

Date: 17 Jul, 2004 on 18:12
icebear
Premium member
in user

since: 17 Jun, 2001
4. Re: Your very, very little chance of Support for Sytos ...
... is at Seagate !?

But as previously mentioned: Sytos SW is very, very old !!!

(Y)our chances are really very very little ;-(

BTW: Write to Cristie's contact address !
I am sure you get an answer in English !!
You will also get trial version if you ask !!!

Date: 17 Jul, 2004 on 19:11
Henk
Normal member
in user

since: 25 Feb, 2003
5. Re:Support information for Sytos

Sam (17 Jul, 2004 18:12):
Thanks first for the info. But I am out of luck becasue I don't know German.
Would appreciate for any information for this.
Thanks again

try this:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sourceid=mozclient&u=http%3A//www.cristie.de/index.php%3Fid%3D26

---
With kind regards,

Henk/2

Date: 18 Jul, 2004 on 11:41
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

since: 26 Nov, 2002
6. Re:Support information for Sytos
last updated at 19 Jul, 2004 18:46 (1 times)
Hi folks,

of course there is an english site of Cristies:

http://www.cristie.co.uk/index.php?id=26

They don't explicitly mention PC-BaX for OS/2, but they dont mention other OSes as well - you might try out to register for free and download a trial version of it.
I've been using it for more than 2 years (and I used Sytos previously as well as IBM Dualstor and BackAgain 2K) and this is the best and most reliable piece of backup sofware for OS/2 I have used so far. Once you get used to their way of "GUI", it's a great piece of software.
I bought mine at eBay BTW for about 10 US$.

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 19 Jul, 2004 on 18:44
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
7. Re:Support information for Sytos
Well, if there hasn't been made any radical changes at Cristies, the OS2 version is still around, sold and maintained.

Another good thing about PC-Bax is that it supports cross-os (os2, win, linux and I think also aix).

Date: 19 Jul, 2004 on 19:44
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

since: 26 Nov, 2002
8. Re:Support information for Sytos

Kim (19 Jul, 2004 19:44):
Another good thing about PC-Bax is that it supports cross-os (os2, win, linux and I think also aix).

Right.
I use a Tandberg SCSI Streamer (TDC3700) that uses qwx 3210 xl tapes (qic-wide 3210) which is a quite outdated product but works reliably. Although that device is supported as a "SCSI" device, I prefer to use Cristies ASPI driver instead of SCSI driver - I feel it works more smoothless and a bit "faster" than hte SCSI driver. So if anyone here has troubles with SCSI streamers, I suggest to use the ASPI driver... anyway PC-BaX supports other devices as well - quite a lot. I don't know however if it supports writing to CDR/RW/DVD...

I tried desperately to get support/info on Sytos when I was using it but I quickly decided to move away from it as Seagate seemed to only purchase it in order to have a control on letting it die
I then used BA2K from CDS but I had some problems with trying to restore data from a tape that was "successfully written" - that was annoying, as it was the disaster recovery tape. Support didn't answer me in any way and when I was able to get my hands on a 10 Euro version of PC-BaX for OS/2 (server version) at eBay, I said to myself "heck - why not ?" and I was surprised how good that piece of software actually is.
Anyone not satisfied with BA2K (which I still believe to be a good product!) should try PC-BaX!

Greeting
Thomas

Date: 20 Jul, 2004 on 09:07
Sam
Premium member
in user

9. Re:Support information for Sytos
Icebear, Henk, Thomas, Kim

Thank you very much for your information. Greatly appreciated

Date: 20 Jul, 2004 on 18:37
Support information for Sytos
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: