Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
Memory leaks?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
hausmaus
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://outpostbbs.net
since: 11 Aug, 2004
1. Memory leaks?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I really need some help here... I'm completely lost as to what is the problem. This is a bit of a lengthy post because the problem's a little complicated...

I run a BBS under OS/2 Warp 4.52 (no other fixpacks). I'm using the stock OS/2 driver for a S3 Savage 4 video card. The computer is a 850mhz Athlon Thunderbird-powered system with 256MB RAM.

From Squish (the mail tosser), I keep getting this error:

30 Dec 05:50:49 SQSH ZIPing mail for 1:140/1 (1392 bytes)
! 30 Dec 05:50:49 SQSH Archiver error: Can't run archiver (-1)
! 30 Dec 05:50:49 SQSH Archiver command was: "d:\arc\zip -9Dj d:\bt\out\ff8600c7.th1 d:\bt\out.sq\1d3dd890.pkt"

The memory count is always in the negative as shown here:

+ 30 Dec 05:50:29 SQSH Begin, Squish/386 v1.11 (mem=-1464852K - main=00020010)

From what I was told, that error usually means that Squish (in this case, Squish/2-the OS/2-native version) doesn't have enough memory to run the archiver (Info-Zip's ZIP). However, oddly enough, if I use the DOS version of Squish, I have no problems whatsoever.

All of this is done automatically via command line. I attempted to install Theseus to find out what's going on, but even /THAT/ refuses to work:

Theseus3 error log opened at 6:04:53 on 12/30/2004.
T3VER0903E DosOpen error = 110 openning C:\os2\install\syslevel.FPK.
T2INIT0: PTDA_size finished with the following:
Ptda size = 00000760.
PtdaVersion = 000000C9.
fSMP_Kernel = 00000000.
fHIGHMEM_Kernel = 00000001.
fNOTHIGHMEM_Kernel = 00000000.

I searched for the SYSLEVEL.FPK and couldn't find a SYSLEVEL in my \OS2\INSTALL with that extension (found a bunch o' others though).

It was also suggested to me that it was because I was (formerly) using a program that used EMX, so I put this line into my CONFIG.SYS:

SET EMXOPT=-h256 -!0x800

I quit using that program and I'm still having problems. This is a real serious problem for me because I have to manually toss mail into the BBS and I get a lot of mail and my downlinks depend on me. Everyone else is at a loss as to why it's happening. My OS/2 install is pretty much "stock" save for a few small changes I've made in CONFIG.SYS, but I don't think it's anything that would cause this problem.

On a side note: all of my programs that give me a report on how much memory I have free (all are OS/2 native) always give me numbers in the negative. Should I toggle the "OS/2 Memory over 64MB" setting in my BIOS? I was told that only affects Warp 3 systems, but I don't know...

Any and all help and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm really at my wit's end with this problem and I don't know where to go from here.

--Sean (aka hausmaus)

Date: 30 Dec, 2004 on 13:20
phaelonimaire
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 03 Feb, 2004
2. Re:Memory leaks?
Is the system hitting the swapfile? Is there a chance the drive with the swapfile is filling up? There are loads of swap watcher apps out that you may try. I have had similar problems due to this, and defective hardware. You might also check your popuplog (if you're using it) to see if you've got a nasty app. What software are you using? What all is running during the normal (idle) BBS operation?
I ran a BBS through OS/2 for years. Hopefully I can be of some help.
Are you using SIO/VMODEM, or supplying direct modem connections?
Date: 02 Jan, 2005 on 23:18
hausmaus
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://outpostbbs.net
since: 11 Aug, 2004
3. Re:Memory leaks?
It got fixed using this line in config.sys:

set shellhandlesinc=60

Just seems that I was just running out of handles... all fixed now.

Thanks for your help though.

Later,
Sean

Date: 03 Jan, 2005 on 04:20
Memory leaks?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: