Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
Scitech Snap
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Kicklighter
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 08 Jan, 2005
1. Scitech Snap
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hi,

I have tried both Snap commerial package and non-commercial version on my OS/2 Warp 4 system. Currently I'm using the 1st writen down. My problem is the following: After I installed snap my
system my mouse starts acting weird. It doesn't do the things I want him to do. Like when I point on an icon nothing happens or a other program starts up and I can't move the mouse not entirly over the screen. Fortunely with a few keyboard tricks I menaged to get lose of the defauld resolution and rebooted. Once I got to a higher res. everything seems to works ok, but when I tried to open a boxed dos window or a boxed win-os2 windows a get a black screen. The mouse pointer is gone then . The only command that does work is ctrl-alt-del. Does anybody has a cure for my problem? My videocard is a Chips & Technologies 65555 and I'm using fixpak 9 (dutch).

Thanks

Kicklighter

Date: 08 Jan, 2005 on 03:37
mikeg
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 27 Nov, 2003
2. Re:Scitech Snap

Kicklighter (08 Jan, 2005 03:37):
Hi,

I have tried both Snap commerial package and non-commercial version on my OS/2 Warp 4 system. Currently I'm using the 1st writen down. My problem is the following: After I installed snap my
system my mouse starts acting weird. It doesn't do the things I want him to do. Like when I point on an icon nothing happens or a other program starts up and I can't move the mouse not entirly over the screen. Fortunely with a few keyboard tricks I menaged to get lose of the defauld resolution and rebooted. Once I got to a higher res. everything seems to works ok, but when I tried to open a boxed dos window or a boxed win-os2 windows a get a black screen. The mouse pointer is gone then . The only command that does work is ctrl-alt-del. Does anybody has a cure for my problem? My videocard is a Chips & Technologies 65555 and I'm using fixpak 9 (dutch).

Thanks

Kicklighter

I guess the first question to ask is what fix level is your Warp4 install?

Date: 08 Jan, 2005 on 04:18
Kicklighter
Normal member
in user

3. Re:Scitech Snap
How can I see which fix level my Warp 4 install is?

Kicklighter

Date: 08 Jan, 2005 on 13:37
jorejarena
Normal member
in user

since: 18 Oct, 2003
4. Re:Scitech Snap
Perhaps you wish to try the new SNAP Personal Edition with current fixes/patches, available at my.scitechsoft.com (registration required, free for personal use).

Javier

Date: 08 Jan, 2005 on 16:14
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
5. Re:Scitech Snap

Kicklighter (08 Jan, 2005 13:37):
How can I see which fix level my Warp 4 install is?

Kicklighter

Well, if you're system is out of the box installation it's simple, none installed then. If the system have been installed by some one else, open a OS2 command line window and run syslevel and you'll get all the info about the system.

Date: 08 Jan, 2005 on 18:56
Kicklighter
Normal member
in user

6. Re:Scitech Snap
Ok, thanks about the tip about Scitech Personal but I tried that already and still the same error appears. I tried syslevel and I got the following information, I didn't know what information you wish to know so I wrote it all down (I translated it all from Dutch so there can be some spell mistakes)

IBM LAN CID Utility

Version 5.10 Component-ID 5639A5700
Current CSD-Level: WRH8400
lLast CSD-Level: WRH8210

IBM OS/2 DMTF Service Layer

Version 1.10 Component-ID 576562200
Current CSD-Leve:l CA00000
Last CSD-Level: CA00000

IBM OS/2 LAN Adapter Protocol Support

Version 5.10 Component-ID 5639A5700
last CSD-Level: WRH8210

IBM I18N Toolkit

Version 1.05 Component-ID 5639A5700
Current CSD-Level: WRH08400
Last CSD-Level: WRH08210

OS/2 Warp Networking Services Installation

Version 4.00
Current CSD-Level: IPH8400
Last CSD-Level: IPH8400

Java Runtime

Version 4.00 Component-ID 563983300
Current CSD-Level: XR04000
Last CSD-Level: XR04000

Java Toolkit

Version 4.00 Component-ID 5639B3300

Java Samples

JEmpower

IBM OS/2 Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Services

Version 4.00 Component-ID 563B1600
Last CSD-Level: WRH8210

IBM OS/2 TCP/IP Stack

Version 5.10 Component-ID 5639B1700
Last CSD-Level: WRH8210

OS/2 Warp Service Level

Version 1.00 Component-ID 566933010
Typ Fixpak
Current CSD-Level: XRHM009
Last CSD-Level: XRHM009

IBM OS/2 32-bits Graphics Engine

Version 4.00 Component-ID 5639A6100
Typ 0C
Current CSD-Level: XRH4000
Last CSD-Level: XRH4000

IBM OS/2 - Operationsystem

Version 4.00 Component-ID 5639A6100
Typ 0C
Current CSD-Level: XRHM009
Last CSD-Level: XRH4000

Distributed SDM Framework

Version 2.01.5 Component-ID 562222700
Current CSD-Level: SM20012
Last CSD-Level: NONE

SOM Event Management Framework

SOMobjects Interface Respository Framework

SOM Run-time Kernel

SOMobjects Utility Classes

Hopefully this helps to what kind of a error I have....

Kicklighter

Date: 09 Jan, 2005 on 22:01
gapcon
Normal member
in user

since: 13 Jan, 2005
7. Re:Scitech Snap
This sounds like a problem I had which was fixed by changing acceleration.

From a cmd prompt go to the snap directory and run gaoption.exe.
You will see a line like this:
gaoption accel [none | basic | most | full] <device>

then do this:
gaoption show

You will see a line like:
Hardware acceleration.... Full

Try changing the acceleration with:
gaoption accel most

and reboot.

Date: 14 Jan, 2005 on 00:03
Kicklighter
Normal member
in user

8. Re:Scitech Snap
I tried what you wrote down but it didn't help...I also send a e-mail to Scitech they said the following: This would be due to a bug in IBM's VSVGA.SYS. We don't have any
control over that; you'll need to contact them about it.

I send a e-mail to IBM but I have very little hope that they send a
e-mail back.

Kicklighter

Date: 14 Jan, 2005 on 21:21
gapcon
Normal member
in user

since: 13 Jan, 2005
9. Re:Scitech Snap
A second option I have used for wacked mice is to change to a USB mouse.

You can add an adaptec pci usb controller and load the usb mouse driivers from ibm.

The current usb files are included with eComStation.

Date: 14 Jan, 2005 on 21:39
Sebadoh
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.newterrasoftware.com
since: 10 Apr, 2001
10. Re:Scitech Snap
Fixpack 9 as you said you are running is kind of on the old side, are there any newer fixpacks available for your language. This problem I have seen with the english version with some of the older fixpacks. I am not 100% sure since I've been running wseb for so long now
Date: 15 Jan, 2005 on 07:32
geert
Normal member
in user

since: 30 Nov, 2003
11. Re:Scitech Snap
Hello,

it 's possible to upgrade your Dutch fixpak 9 to fixpak 15 US
Dutch link : http://www.sjoerd-visser.demon.nl/os2/fixpack.html#Een update naar kernel 4.50

Date: 15 Jan, 2005 on 11:25
Kicklighter
Normal member
in user

12. Re:Scitech Snap
I downloaded kernel w420050113.zip and installed it. But still when I go into a dosbox I get a black screen. Can anybody tell me if this
is the good kernel to download I think so if not please let me know...

Kicklighter

Date: 17 Jan, 2005 on 21:40
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

since: 26 Nov, 2002
13. Re:Scitech Snap
Hi,

I might be wrong on this, but... does your graphics adapter use IRQ 12? BTW: The C&T 65555 is it a PCI adapter? What about the machine - is this a notebook or machine with onboard graphics or is the C&T a "plugin" card?
If you don't know about the resources (IRQ) you might run the PCI sniffer program available at hobbes (-> "pci048vk" or newer).

It seems that either the hardware cursor of scitech causes trouble or (the more likely solution) there is a resource conflict with irq12 which is the PS/2 mouse adapter usually.
Eventually you might want to check the machines BIOS for a setting that enables it to run without IRQ ("use IRQ for VGA = NO").

Keeping fingers crossed - good luck.
And tell us what you could find out...

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 19 Jan, 2005 on 22:40
Kicklighter
Normal member
in user

14. Re:Scitech Snap
Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I use a laptop system. So it's a intergrated chipset. It seems there are no conflicts but I read something about BASEDEV=RESERVE.SYS. With this line you can specify the IRQ usage in a way that Resource Manager can see it. Is this a option for me? Maybe then I can say don't use the serial mouse it's IRQ or so....or does this sound weird...can somebody tell me how to use this line in the config.sys and if it's not or if it's a option for me...cause I'm very limited what mathers to my bios settings....

Many thanks,

Paul

Date: 20 Jan, 2005 on 01:50
Sebadoh
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.newterrasoftware.com
since: 10 Apr, 2001
15. Re:Scitech Snap
You don't need to just upgrade the kernel, you need to install the entire fixpack. This problem has nothing to do with the kernel, it has alot to do with the dll's which provide the api.
Date: 20 Jan, 2005 on 05:55
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

16. Re:Scitech Snap

Kicklighter (20 Jan, 2005 01:50):
Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I use a laptop system. So it's a intergrated chipset. It seems there are no conflicts but I read something about BASEDEV=RESERVE.SYS. With this line you can specify the IRQ usage in a way that Resource Manager can see it. Is this a option for me? Maybe then I can say don't use the serial mouse it's IRQ or so....or does this sound weird...can somebody tell me how to use this line in the config.sys and if it's not or if it's a option for me...cause I'm very limited what mathers to my bios settings....

Many thanks,
Paul

Hi,

the resource manager tries to allocate all "free" resources in order to give them to the devices which are "resource manager aware". RESERVE.SYS is used to specifiy resources that you *don't* want to handle via resource manager (i.e. because the device is not "resource manager capable").
In general, the resource.sys is not needed in most cases - except for some really exotic or nasty / old hardware. In your case, I'm sure is has nothing to do with your problem - or won't help you to solve it.

Note that OS/2s resource manager can only show you the resorces and devices that are capable of dealing with resource manager. You won't see all devices and resources automatically like with windows hardware/device manager. To know what is *really* going on, you'll need the pci bus sniffer I mentioned.

What kind of mouse are you using? A serial or PS/2 external mouse attached to your notebook or the built-in touchpad/trackpoint? Or both?
Before installing the Snap driver - did you convert back to standard VGA? Did you had any messages about "files already existing and newer" while installing snap? In this case note that you should always select tho overwrite them...

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 20 Jan, 2005 on 09:24
Kicklighter
Normal member
in user

17. Re:Scitech Snap
Hi,

We are dealing with a touchpad and serial mouse (both). I have done exactly what you said....first back to standard vga and then installl the snap drivers. Nothing said about overwriting. I also tried to disable the serial mouse in the bios of the laptop, but even then
os/2 reconizes the mouse and I get a black screen. BTW I installed
Fixpak 14 but that also made no difference.

Now I'm really sitting with my hands in my hair,

Paul

Date: 20 Jan, 2005 on 11:32
Kicklighter
Normal member
in user

18. Re:Scitech Snap
Hi,

I have an idea. Could it be a conflict with the serial mouse and the
touchpad? And can I disable the touchpad somehow?

Paul

Date: 20 Jan, 2005 on 11:56
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

19. Re:Scitech Snap

Kicklighter (20 Jan, 2005 11:56):
Hi,
I have an idea. Could it be a conflict with the serial mouse and the
touchpad? And can I disable the touchpad somehow?
Paul

Hi,

for the conflict question... I suppose yes - I know that OS/2 has troubles on some machines that use a touchpad and PS/2 mouse at once... the PS/2 mouse then works and any action on the touchpad causes trouble... in your case, with a serial mouse, it's very likely that there's even more trouble.
AFAIK, you can't disable the built-in touchpad via BIOS (that depends on your BIOS), but first you can go for simply detaching the serial mouse before powering up the computer. If this should improve the stability, we'll check your config.sys for possible actions to "disable" the PS/2 port...

BTW: I remember some notebooks (or even certain combinations of graphics adapters and a TFT panel) have problems with full-screen DOS - even in windows, because it's rather a problem of the graphics adapter and/or display driver... but we'll check this, once your mouse stops making trouble.

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 20 Jan, 2005 on 14:13
Kicklighter
Normal member
in user

20. Re:Scitech Snap
Hi,

That sounds good I already tried to detachted the ps/2 mouse but
without any luck. Does this mean I can say "goodbye" to my ps/2 mouse in os/2? A touchscreen isn't that easy in use as a ps/2 mouse. But let's give it a swing...!!!....maybe it works and then I'm very happy.

Paul

Date: 20 Jan, 2005 on 14:52
Scitech Snap
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 2 | Next >
Go to: