Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
QEMU Virtaul Machine Achieves Near-Native Performance
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
user_ecs
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 25 Feb, 2005
1. QEMU Virtaul Machine Achieves Near-Native Performance
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I have read that some people can get OS/2 guests running on Linux, FreeBSD and even Apple PowerPC.

I need to get a larger hard drive so I can try this. Always thought OS/2 would be nice on an Apple PowerBook.

--------------------------------------------------------
http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

QEMU Accelerator Achieves Near-Native Performance

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/19/1538231&tid=190&tid=126&tid=1
Saturday February 19, @12:33PM
from the one-fine-runtime dept.
An anonymous reader writes "QEMU is a generic and open source processor emulator which achieves a good emulation speed by using dynamic translation. Its sporting a new module called the 'Accelerator' which can achieve near native speeds, and currently runs on Linux 2.4.x and 2.6.x kernels. This means you could theoretically run Windows (or another OS) on a Linux machine at near native speeds without buying a commercial emulator. The catch is that although QEMU is released under various open source licenses, the Accelerator uses a free (as in beer) license because the module is a 'closed source proprietary product.' Fabrice Bellard does mention that he would consider open sourcing the Accelerator under certain conditions."

Date: 25 Feb, 2005 on 04:31
madcrow
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 23 Feb, 2005
2. Re:QEMU Virtaul Machine Achieves Near-Native Performance
the ultra-speed module is less comaptible than the normal speed version and is only good for running an OS on a processor that could already run it. therefore, the apple ibook couldn't run os/2 at native speeds. still normal cpu emulation is pretty fast anyway, running at about 1/4 -1/8 of native speed. on my p4-2ghz, that means i can have a 500 MHz os/2 box living inside linux... sadly, however, things aren't that compatible yet. among other things, i'm stuck with 640x480x4bbp as the video card emulation isn't good enough to work work the os/2 drivers for the theorhetically emulated card and except for a few proggies that get preinstalled with os/2, things seem to crash a lot (including star emperor, the main reason i installed qemu ) still win-os2 works pretty good, meaning that i now have a better environment than wine to run my win16 proggies in...
Date: 25 Feb, 2005 on 15:14
user_ecs
Normal member
in user

3. Re:QEMU Virtaul Machine Achieves Near-Native Performance
Should be able to get better video. There are OS/2 drivers for the Cirrus Logic GD5446.
The Cirrus Logic GD5446 is supported by Scitech SNAP, also Cirrus Logic had a OS/2 driver for the GD5446.
Date: 26 Feb, 2005 on 05:36
user_ecs
Normal member
in user

4. Re:QEMU Virtaul Machine Achieves Near-Native Performance
I can get Warp4 to partially install.

The base OS installs including the WPS. It gets to the "selective install" screen. I can make all the selections but when it tried to start the "network" configuration screen it crashes. The error says somehing about "npconfig.exe"

I can reboot the machine and it will again boot from the hard drive and restart the "selective install".

I don't have the new QEMU accelerator working yet. OS/2 Warp4 is really fast and responsive even without the QEMU "accel". Very useable.

QEMU http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/

Also found this
-----------------------------

http://www.dad-answers.com/qemu-forum/viewtopic.php?t=326

On Tue Feb 15, sunbear17 wrote:

Just wanted to let those who might be interested know that I managed to install OS/2 Warp 4 in qemu on MacOS X (assuming it also works on other platforms). There are a few smaller caveats as you can see in my little "howto": http://lichtenauer.co.za/lichtenauer/qemu-warp4.html

Maybe somebody with access to the website also wants to update the http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/ossupport.html status page from "OK?" to "OK" (I didn't know who to contact...)

Cheers,
Stephan

Date: 03 Mar, 2005 on 18:16
user_ecs
Normal member
in user

5. Re:QEMU Virtaul Machine Achieves Near-Native Performance

madcrow (25 Feb, 2005 15:14):
i'm stuck with 640x480x4bbp as the video card emulation isn't good enough to work work the os/2 drivers for the theorhetically emulated card and except for a few proggies that get

Scitech doesn't work but the regular IBM GENGRADD driver works very good. I can do 800x600 and even 1024x768 resolution on Warp4 in QEMU.

I have run Warp4 , Warp4 with FP12 and Warp4 with FP15

Date: 25 Mar, 2005 on 20:14
QEMU Virtaul Machine Achieves Near-Native Performance
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: