Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
OS/2 SMP
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
hausmaus
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://outpostbbs.net
since: 11 Aug, 2004
1. OS/2 SMP
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I guess that's an application.

I am trying to find a copy of OS/2 that will do SMP. I was given a dual-processor (P2) motherboard with onboard scsi (ATX) and I'd like to try to run OS/2 on it.

Ideas or suggestions?

Date: 09 Apr, 2005 on 05:35
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 09 Dec, 2002
2. Re:OS/2 SMP
eCS has support for SMP with an additional license, which includes the software/kernel.

www.mensys.nl has eCS. Of course any applications would need SMP support also. OS/2 (eCS) is very scalable with SMP. This really helps out in server situations. You may run to run the server version of eCS with SMP, as your motherboard seems to be built for it. Once eCS Server with SMP is running, you'll probably want to look at Apache, SMTP services, etc. for a home/small business LAN.

I think you could have fun with this. After all, it is nothing but time and money.

Date: 09 Apr, 2005 on 18:50
Stuart
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 16 Jul, 2003
3. Re:OS/2 SMP
Warp Server 4 Advanced (the one based on Warp 3) is SMP, as is Warp Server for eBusiness (the one based on Warp 4). I have run both on SMP machines, very stable and nice. One thing: applications do not need to be SMP aware, in fact there is no such thing as "SMP aware applications". If an app is multithreaded, it will work better on an SMP machine, as threads can be run simultaneously (this is the same on Windows, BTW). Fortunately, many OS/2 programmes are threaded, since this is the most efficient way to programme, and is the preferred method of writing.

Stuart

Date: 10 Apr, 2005 on 00:31
hausmaus
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://outpostbbs.net
4. Re:OS/2 SMP
Thanks for the responses (any reason why OS2World isn't sending me emails anymore even though I have that checked?). I'll start trying to hunt down a copy.

Thanks,
Sean

Date: 10 Apr, 2005 on 04:12
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
5. Re:OS/2 SMP
I've never tried this, but there is a web page at:

http://tam.belchenstuermer.de/tipps/w4smp/

which offers a suggestion on how Warp 4 might be made into an "smp" system. Do take note that this calls for using files from a public fixpak for Warp Server for E Business. If you don't own a license for WSeB, then technically and legally you're not licensed to use that fixpak.

Date: 11 Apr, 2005 on 00:23
Stuart
Premium member
in user

since: 16 Jul, 2003
6. Re:OS/2 SMP

hausmaus (10 Apr, 2005 04:12):
Thanks for the responses (any reason why OS2World isn't sending me emails anymore even though I have that checked?). I'll start trying to hunt down a copy.

Thanks,
Sean

I've got a copy of Warp Server Advanced 4 if you're interested - comes with manuals, so postage (from France) might be a bit hefty. email me privately (srtgray@clara.co.uk) if you want a quote!

Stuart

Date: 11 Apr, 2005 on 07:51
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
7. Re:OS/2 SMP

hausmaus (10 Apr, 2005 04:12):
Thanks for the responses (any reason why OS2World isn't sending me emails anymore even though I have that checked?).

There is some kind of bug some keeps giving also me this problem; but I haven't been able to find it. But, as it looks now I'm looking into to switch to a new forum system due to that the current has been a dead product since year 2000. So it's not that high on the list of things that will be fixed.

/Kim

Date: 11 Apr, 2005 on 08:46
hausmaus
Premium member
in user

8. Re:OS/2 SMP
It helps if I give OS/2 World a working email address, now doesn't it? <G>

Boy, I feel dumb.

Date: 27 Apr, 2005 on 22:10
OS/2 SMP
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: