Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
Wow
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Questor
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.t-w-o.info
since: 25 Apr, 2005
1. Wow
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Eventually, I was forced to stop writing OS/2 applications. Around that same time I handed control of EDM/2 to Carsten Whimster, and officially felt like part of my life died.

The time was 1996 (or sometime thereabouts). Larry Margolis was known as "Mr. EPM," Bert Moshier and David Barnes were the "everyday man's" OS/2 advocate within IBM. What a time to have been alive. I'm glad to have been part of it all.

It's about 10 years later, and I've of late taken an interest to see where OS/2. I'm happy to have found that it is still alive, complete with the fanatical devotion that spurred the community back in the early 90's when IBM and Microsoft finally decided to go their separate ways (at least as far as this was involved).

I'm going to be presumptuous and trump everyone here. There will undoubtedly be questions about what I've been up to since the end of my involvment with EDM/2 and the release of "The Art of OS/2 Warp Programming". To wit, I've been up to a lot of everything and nothing. I've settled into mediocrity, against my wishes, but when the rest of the world woke up and realized what people like Steve Mastrianni knew back in late 80's - that you could make a lot of money in programming - everyone and their dog wanted to be a programmer. This diluted the market, for sure, and with the expansion of the role of the operating system to include things such as encryption, Internet browsing, etc. (note that I'm not referring to OS/2 here), it literally became impossible to be the "Jack of All Trades and Master of More than a Few" as you once could be.

I'm doing (gasp!) Microsoft development, but I couldn't care if it were BeOS as long as it pays my bills. I've accumulated enough equipment to open a small recording studio and write / record original music when inspiration strikes. I also play in a 7 member dance band, etc. blah etc.

In any case, this posting is part reminiscing, part congratulatory (i.e. it's great to see so much interest still in OS/2), and part encouragement ("keep the faith alive!").

Hopefully, an OS/2 trade show will stop by Manhattan and I'll get a chance to relive the glory days once again. ("Mr. Incredible" anyone? Only if "Mirage" shows up to entice me as well...LOL) Maybe I'll even get a chance to meet some of the ones who started around my time and had the priviledge of being able to stay in the OS/2 realm.

Good luck, and I'll try to pop my head in here from time-to-time. (Now, if I can simply convince the Moderator to allow this post to be born...)

Old skool OS/2 Developer
Former EDM/2 Publisher / Editor-in-chief
Date: 25 Apr, 2005 on 19:58
os2power
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 08 Mar, 2003
2. Re:Wow
For sure life it's funny, when we no longer can give bad examples, we all start to give good suggestions.

Manhattan for sure would be a nice place to have an OS/2 reunion, New York New York the City that never sleep and the OS that never dies.

Date: 26 Apr, 2005 on 05:20
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 09 Dec, 2002
3. Re:Wow
Welcome back. I always wanted to read your book. It had good reviews. Even though you may not have time for OS/2, you can still support it by spending money on it. I know many people who have bought eCS, but haven't installed it due to time, commintments, etc. However, any help is appreciated.

Come back with your OS/2 memories. I am sure any of the OS/2 sites could use an article, even if it is from memory lane.

Date: 27 Apr, 2005 on 16:38
RadarCat
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2warplinks.com
since: 29 Jan, 2005
4. Interview ??

Hi, Questor,

Maybe Kim could do an interview with you on your OS/2 years and put it on OS2World.
That would be very interesting!

Gosh, maybe someone could interview Kim about his OS/2 years and this web site and put it on OS2World. That would also be very interesting!

Best,
RadarCat

---
RadarCat, Webmaster
http://www.os2warplinks.com

Date: 28 Apr, 2005 on 08:24
Wow
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: