Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
Security/2 - useful in a network?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Stuart
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 16 Jul, 2003
1. Security/2 - useful in a network?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I administer a small network (WSeB server, eCS desktop, 50 users, <10 PCs) and curently I simply have the usual LAN logon icon on the sektop. USers arrive at the machine, log themselves in, get their directory, printer and application shares, logoff at the end. They can also mess about with the desktop and get into the C drive - I don't want this. Can I use Security/2 to mimic the standard Windows NT type logon, with a logon dialogue presented at the start and end of each session? Will it allow users to customise their own desktop and not interfere wit anothers? I want all the config information to be held on the server and accessed at logon.

TIA,
Stuart

Date: 09 May, 2005 on 13:51
Pete
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 14 Aug, 2003
2. Re:Security/2 - useful in a network?
Hi Stuart

I do not think there is provision for seperate Desktops in sses - but may be wrong.

For seperate desktops you need either:-

Multidesk http://www.quasarbbs.net/cristiano/mudesk.html, and maybe sses if the 2 packages interact OK,

or

WPSac - Workplace Shell Administration http://www.nbsoftware.de/sw_wpsac_en.htm which may have all the necessary security administration builtin, the readme states:- WPSac - Workplace Shell Access Control is a tool
that restricts access to the workplace shell to
users with a configured user id (comparable with
the WinNT logon). It also enables the administrator
to restrict access to objects inside the workplace
shell of a user. Users may share a workplace shell
or use their own. Also it is able to logon to other
tools or the LAN via the "Single signon feature".

Multdesk requires a reboot to login a new user, not sure about WPSac.

Multidesk and sses are free, not sure of the price of WPSac.

Hope that helps.

Pete

Date: 10 May, 2005 on 23:38
dljone9
Premium member
in user

since: 13 Jan, 2003
3. Re:Security/2 - useful in a network?

Stuart (09 May, 2005 13:51):
I administer a small network (WSeB server, eCS desktop, 50 users, <10 PCs) and curently I simply have the usual LAN logon icon on the sektop. USers arrive at the machine, log themselves in, get their directory, printer and application shares, logoff at the end. They can also mess about with the desktop and get into the C drive - I don't want this. Can I use Security/2 to mimic the standard Windows NT type logon, with a logon dialogue presented at the start and end of each session? Will it allow users to customise their own desktop and not interfere wit anothers? I want all the config information to be held on the server and accessed at logon.

TIA,
Stuart

"Workspace On Demand" would do as you like, however - I do
not know if it is currently "for sale" from IBM...

Date: 11 May, 2005 on 00:39
Security/2 - useful in a network?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: