Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
GIMP 2.2
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Isaac
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.novus-tele.net/~isaacl
since: 23 Jan, 2004
1. GIMP 2.2
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Anyone else tried running GIMP 2.2 yet?
I am trying to use it via HOB X11, instead of XFree86. Until I can sort out exactly what I need, it looks like I need to unzip the entire XFree 4.5 bundle anyways. The bits and pieces of needed stuff are littered throughout the individual ZIP's.

- I get error that it cannot demand load segment for TIFF dll, but just ignore error and it will continue to load okay.
- Every time I try to load image dialog, it says "PNG" not supported. It works anyways.

Other than that, it seems quite a bit slower than 1.2.2 (which I still have installed). Still not liking the way XFree and all the ported *NIX apps dump its directories in non-sensical (to OS/2 guy, wait, no, to any non *NIX, normal person) locations, also don't like GIMP forcing me to put home in C:\home but oh well, what can you do. It's free and it seems to work other than other errors.

If someone could figure out exactly what is needed for to work with HOB, that's great, because XFree86/2 4.5 is taking up a big chunk of disk space.

Date: 07 Aug, 2005 on 21:39
abwillis
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 21 Mar, 2003
2. Re:GIMP 2.2
I have run it, not really anything more than that. I didn't have any of the messages you indicate but I have had a working 4.5 Xfree86/2 for a while now. I did run GIMP in Hob but you will still have to have xfree as Hob does not provide the dll support that is needed (just a method to view on the desktop rather than requiring full screen). It is possible you could attempt to find just those dll's that were needed but renaming the x11r6 directory and placing each dll that it asks for into a directory on the libpath but it would not be worth the effort to get it all set up (at least in my estimation) as you may find you need them all anyway.
Date: 12 Aug, 2005 on 06:18
Christian Hennecke
Premium member
in spoc

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/os2files/
since: 27 Jan, 2001
3. Re:GIMP 2.2

Isaac (07 Aug, 2005 21:39):
Anyone else tried running GIMP 2.2 yet?

Yep, works fine here so far.

I am trying to use it via HOB X11, instead of XFree86. Until I can sort out exactly what I need, it looks like I need to unzip the entire XFree 4.5 bundle anyways. The bits and pieces of needed stuff are littered throughout the individual ZIP's.

Normally, X450lib.zip and X450X11.zip should suffice.

However, the new GTK is able to use the XFree86 4.x new font features with anti-aliasing. You probably need an existing and working font cache structure. I don't know what happens if that does not exist.

- I get error that it cannot demand load segment for TIFF dll, but just ignore error and it will continue to load okay.
- Every time I try to load image dialog, it says "PNG" not supported. It works anyways.

Looks like some version conflict. Try a dupe finder and see if there are more than one version of the TIFF and PNG libraries in your LIBPATH.

Other than that, it seems quite a bit slower than 1.2.2 (which I still have installed).

Well, first of all, it's much bigger than 1.2.2. But it doesn't seem so slow here, and my machine is quite old. Did you try using the pipe mechanism instead of the loopback interface (SET DISPLAY=local/hostname:0 in CONFIG.SYS)? That has sped up things here.

Still not liking the way XFree and all the ported *NIX apps dump its directories in non-sensical (to OS/2 guy, wait, no, to any non *NIX, normal person) locations, also don't like GIMP forcing me to put home in C:\home but oh well, what can you do.

Sorry, but that's bullshit. My home directory resides on my e: drive in e:\home\myuserid style. Works perfectly well. And BTW, if OS/2 were a multi-user system (or if you install Security/2) that's how things have to be done.

Could you please drop the *NIX and just write Unix? You aren't talking about that specific one called UNIX anyway.

Date: 15 Aug, 2005 on 20:22
Isaac
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.novus-tele.net/~isaacl
since: 23 Jan, 2004
4. Re:GIMP 2.2

Christian Hennecke (15 Aug, 2005 20:22):

Sorry, but that's bullshit. My home directory resides on my e: drive in e:\home\myuserid style. Works perfectly well. And BTW, if OS/2 were a multi-user system (or if you install Security/2) that's how things have to be done.

Could you please drop the *NIX and just write Unix? You aren't talking about that specific one called UNIX anyway.

Well, I'm not so much against the \home directory (though I don't recall GIMP ever allowing me to change it during install. I'm sure you can fiddle with it afterwards. It was stuck on C:\home and that was that). I'm mostly complaining about all the _other_ directories. Such as /usr, /etc, and so on, which I'm sure made a whole lot of sense to the founding fathers, but not to me. Obviously doesn't make a whole lot of sense to many others as well, since apparently OS X has now linked them to more sensical names (but having the same problem as us, they still have to keep the originals around for ease of port and compatibility).

And that's all common to AIX, HP-UX, Linux, Irix, Solaris, whatever you wanna call it.

Anyways, moot point, I'm on OS/2. And I'm just glad somebody did GIMP 2.2 for OS/2. Whoever done it did it for free so they can do what they want, no complaints about that!

Date: 17 Aug, 2005 on 06:08
Sebadoh
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.newterrasoftware.com
since: 10 Apr, 2001
5. Re:GIMP 2.2
SET HOME=x:\somewhereyouwantthispoop

Isaac (17 Aug, 2005 06:0:

Christian Hennecke (15 Aug, 2005 20:22):

Well, I'm not so much against the \home directory (though I don't recall GIMP ever allowing me to change it during install. I'm sure you can fiddle with it afterwards. It was stuck on C:\home and that was that). I'm mostly complaining about all the _other_ directories. Such as /usr, /etc, and so on, which I'm sure made a whole lot of sense to the founding fathers, but not to me. Obviously doesn't make a whole lot of sense to many others as well, since apparently OS X has now linked them to more sensical names (but having the same problem as us, they still have to keep the originals around for ease of port and compatibility).

And that's all common to AIX, HP-UX, Linux, Irix, Solaris, whatever you wanna call it.

Anyways, moot point, I'm on OS/2. And I'm just glad somebody did GIMP 2.2 for OS/2. Whoever done it did it for free so they can do what they want, no complaints about that!

Date: 17 Aug, 2005 on 16:07
GIMP 2.2
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: