Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
BeOS in VPC
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://members.home.nl/cwroossien/
since: 04 Feb, 2004
1. BeOS in VPC
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
BeOS is actually running fine in the Virtual PC.
Its open source and its a funny system, easy and straight forwarded, ideal for kids and simple:-) people.
Running it in VPC is not that bad at all, but its not worth it to make a real partition for it, but that's my opinion.
I was surprised its still alive and there is more software for it as I thought, though there are a lot of dead links also.. anyway, its nice to have in VPC.
It can be downloaded from here; http://www.bebits.com/
In fact its the only site you need to find all there is available for BeOS.
Date: 25 Aug, 2005 on 15:47 Attachment: beos.jpg
Ben Dragon
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 15 Apr, 2004
2. Re:BeOS in VPC
Isn't BeOS just an exe?

How did you run it?

Also, I haven't tried BeOS in quite some time. Are there any advantages over OS/2 with regard to multimedia tools etc? I always found OS/2 weak there.

Looks nice BTW... I think I'll re-install VPC and give it a go.

---

Date: 25 Aug, 2005 on 18:28
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://members.home.nl/cwroossien/
since: 04 Feb, 2004
3. Re:BeOS in VPC
last updated at 26 Aug, 2005 01:25 (1 times)
Its not an executable, that was the old personal versions just for evaluation.
Download it from here and make a boot CD out of the 2 images. http://bebits.com/app/3148
(or, like I dit it, mount the boot image as a CD in VPC, boot from it and as soon as it goes searching mount the other image.. its a bit trickey, you have to change images before it reports an error CD not found... but it works..)
And then just install it on a VPC drive, I created an unformatted drive in VPC and formatted it as BeOS format in the installer etc... .. its plain straight forward..

Nope.. the multimedia is certainly not an improvement over eCS... its just plain simple..

Anyway, there is firefox and mozilla for BeOS.. even the dosbox is ported.. but thats not interesting.. there is an eCS version of dosbox.. besides.. runneing a virtual machine inside a virtual machine... ... hmmm

Date: 26 Aug, 2005 on 01:23
A-de
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 27 Aug, 2005
4. Re:BeOS in VPC
last updated at 27 Aug, 2005 16:27 (1 times)

ChrisR (25 Aug, 2005 15:47):
BeOS is actually running fine in the Virtual PC.
Its open source and its a funny system, easy and straight forwarded, ideal for kids and simple:-) people.

I think, it isn´t actually "open sourced", it´s just some sort of freeware. Threre was a, so called, "Personal Edition" that could run on Windows-PCs - that indeed an "exe" in some way. Some people later made it a stand-alone OS (BeOS Max Edition or BeOS Developer Edition). They are modernized versions of BeOS. Should run on VPC, too.

I was surprised its still alive and there is more software for it as I thought, though there are a lot of dead links also.. anyway, its nice to have in VPC.

Some people want to develop new incarnations of BeOS: Zeta by yellowTab.com, and Haiku-OS by Haiku.org

It can be downloaded from here; http://www.bebits.com/
In fact its the only site you need to find all there is available for BeOS.

There you will find the other two - BeOS Max Edition and BeOS Developer Edition - , too.

Have fun with it. I very enjoyed BeOS.

Date: 27 Aug, 2005 on 16:27
Ben Dragon
Premium member
in user

since: 15 Apr, 2004
5. Re:BeOS in VPC
Well, when I get a moment I'm going to give it a try and see what's changed from all those years ago.

VPC is great for that, it's like "taking a trip and you never havin' to leave the farm!"

*flashes the lighter to life*

What exactly, is different with the forked versions of BeOS? Just interface changes? or is it something more substantial?

---

Date: 27 Aug, 2005 on 18:43
BeOS in VPC
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: