Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
OS2 EMULATOR/INTERPRETER
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
DAWhite
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 13 Oct, 2005
1. OS2 EMULATOR/INTERPRETER
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT IF THERE IS AN OS2 EMULATOR OR INTERPRETER AVAILABLE.

I WORK FOR A COMPANY THAT IS CURRENTLY WANTING TO PORT OS2 APPLICATION TO WINDOWS XP. THEY WOULD PERFER NOT TO HAVE TO DO A TOTAL REWRITE.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Date: 13 Oct, 2005 on 17:47
melf
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 11 Apr, 2003
2. Re:OS2 EMULATOR/INTERPRETER
Have you/they thought of upgrading to eComStation 1.2 instead? I don't know if you use that system yourself, but its definitly on its way up. Just today they released a democd, like Knoppix, that you can run on RAM-memory to get a picture of how it looks and feels.Have a look at http://www.ecomstation.com
Date: 13 Oct, 2005 on 21:25
dargndorp
Normal member
in user

since: 05 Sep, 2005
3. Re:OS2 EMULATOR/INTERPRETER
My first suggestion would be to stop SHOUTING.

You can always cough up some dough and get Microsoft Virtual PC.

Date: 13 Oct, 2005 on 22:28
Sebadoh
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.newterrasoftware.com
since: 10 Apr, 2001
4. Re:OS2 EMULATOR/INTERPRETER

DAWhite (13 Oct, 2005 17:47):
I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT IF THERE IS AN OS2 EMULATOR OR INTERPRETER AVAILABLE.

I WORK FOR A COMPANY THAT IS CURRENTLY WANTING TO PORT OS2 APPLICATION TO WINDOWS XP. THEY WOULD PERFER NOT TO HAVE TO DO A TOTAL REWRITE.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Porting from OS/2 to Windows is not difficult, but it would be a total rewrite.. and it is also counter productive, most likely dollar for dollar you are best off sticking with OS/2.

Date: 14 Oct, 2005 on 00:32
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

since: 26 Nov, 2002
5. Re:OS2 EMULATOR/INTERPRETER
Hi,

...what is the OS/2 application "made of"?
Is it rexx, c, c++, pascal, cobol,... java <g> ?

Depending on the programming environment/language used, there might be one or more ways of doing a port to windows with few efforts.

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 14 Oct, 2005 on 10:39
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://members.home.nl/cwroossien/
since: 04 Feb, 2004
6. Re:OS2 EMULATOR/INTERPRETER
Jeah, we have odin and xfree on eCS.
Linux has this wine thing.
Seems only windown can run only windows...

Porting programs to multiple platforms, well, if there would not be a certain company this problem would have been solved a long time ago..

Actually, to write programs for multiple platforms on OS/2 eCS is a piece of cake today.
But one thing you can't port, and that is the look and feel of eCS.

I would be shouting also if I had to go from OS/2 to windows, I can understand your frustration......

Chris.

Date: 14 Oct, 2005 on 18:05
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://members.home.nl/cwroossien/
since: 04 Feb, 2004
7. Re:OS2 EMULATOR/INTERPRETER
Jeah, we have odin and xfree on eCS.
Linux has this wine thing.
Seems only windown can run only windows...

Porting programs to multiple platforms, well, if there would not be a certain company this problem would have been solved a long time ago..

Actually, to write programs for multiple platforms on OS/2 eCS is a piece of cake today.
But one thing you can't port, and that is the look and feel of eCS.

I would be shouting also if I had to go from OS/2 to windows, I can understand your frustration......

Chris.

Date: 14 Oct, 2005 on 18:06
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
8. Re:OS2 EMULATOR/INTERPRETER
I'd say stick with OS/2 or eCS. But... if your company (or boss, or whoever) is stuck on the idea of porting this application to Windows, ScheduPerformance (the developer of the Priority Master application for both OS/2 and Windows - which allowa you to control the priority of applications) does offer a service to help with porting apps from OS/2 to Windows. There is more information at:

http://prioritymaster.com/OS/2to.htm

I've never used the service, so I can't comment on it. But I can say that I've been a registered user of Priority Master for OS/2 for years, and love it.

Date: 14 Oct, 2005 on 18:34
OS2 EMULATOR/INTERPRETER
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: