Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
OpenOffice 2.0
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
craigm
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 03 Jul, 2003
1. OpenOffice 2.0
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Anyone hear any news if Open Office 2.0 will be around on eCS? I would love to have this running on my fav OS!

BTW I love the new eCS Demo CD, I made copies of it already and passing it to friends...gonna work them =)

Date: 14 Oct, 2005 on 13:48
osw
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 05 Apr, 2005
2. Re:OpenOffice 2.0
Hi!
Good question. But looking back at previous versions from innotek... we should not expect excellent future. It will be 2 years late, like usual no native port but innotek smart enginery to run bit modified windose version, poor integrated with wps and because of those "advantages" over other platform versions will be priced about 200 $... enough? But, I'd like to be wrong.

greetings/2

Date: 14 Oct, 2005 on 16:20
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
3. Re:OpenOffice 2.0
OSW, with all due respect, I don't think you're being fair to Innotek. As I recall OO 1.1.4 - the latest version for OS/2 - came out in beta form about a month or so after OO 1.1.4 went Gold on the openoffice.org website. Apparently there was consideration of doing 1.1.5 when it came out (which is - according to Oppenoffice.org - the latest "stable" version), but the decision was made that there weren't enough differences between 1.1.4 and 1.1.5 to justify the time spent to get it to run.

As for 2.0, I hope it will be available. Keep in mind that OO 2.0 is currently considered "beta", although in a "release candidate" stage. True, it will probably be done using Odin libraries without WPS integration, but I'd prefer this as opposed to nothing at all.

As for cost, I'm not sure where the 200 number came from. The current charge has been (in US dollars) $39 for the download version, and $44 to have a CD mailed to you. Or if you really want a "free" copy, you are free to download the source code and try to get it working yourself.

Date: 14 Oct, 2005 on 16:39
osw
Normal member
in user

since: 05 Apr, 2005
4. Re:OpenOffice 2.0

Fahrvenugen (14 Oct, 2005 16:39):
OSW, with all due respect, I don't think you're being fair to Innotek. As I recall OO 1.1.4 - the latest version for OS/2 - came out in beta form about a month or so after OO 1.1.4 went Gold on the openoffice.org website. Apparently there was consideration of doing 1.1.5 when it came out (which is - according to Oppenoffice.org - the latest "stable" version), but the decision was made that there weren't enough differences between 1.1.4 and 1.1.5 to justify the time spent to get it to run.

As for 2.0, I hope it will be available. Keep in mind that OO 2.0 is currently considered "beta", although in a "release candidate" stage. True, it will probably be done using Odin libraries without WPS integration, but I'd prefer this as opposed to nothing at all.

As for cost, I'm not sure where the 200 number came from. The current charge has been (in US dollars) $39 for the download version, and $44 to have a CD mailed to you. Or if you really want a "free" copy, you are free to download the source code and try to get it working yourself.

Yes, I did get price right from ceiling I'm sorry, it was not fair to Innotek. I'm using almost all their soft...

sorry/2

Date: 14 Oct, 2005 on 20:59
HerwigB
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://members.aon.at/herwig.bauernfeind/os2.html
since: 10 Jul, 2004
5. Re:OpenOffice 2.0
Well, at least OpenOffice 1.1.5 runs flawlessly here on OS/2.

---
Best regards,
Herwig B.
Date: 15 Oct, 2005 on 11:13
flywheel
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/flywheel/
since: 29 May, 2001
6. Re:OpenOffice 2.0
OpenOffice 2.0 for eCS sounds great (OpenDocument slowly needs to be supported), just as Java 1.5 for eCS does.
Date: 16 Oct, 2005 on 04:44
craigm
Normal member
in user

since: 03 Jul, 2003
7. Re:OpenOffice 2.0
Good news I read from www.os2.com

An interesting tidbit from this year's Warpstock: Serenity Systems has indicated that they plan to finance an OS/2 port of OpenOffice version 2.0, once it has been officially released. The most likely method for this will be an Odin-based OS/2 Kit from Innotek. For those interested in attendance figures, Andy Willis reports that there were 70 attendees.

YA!

Date: 17 Oct, 2005 on 19:58
flywheel
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/flywheel/
since: 29 May, 2001
8. Re:OpenOffice 2.0
Sounds great - and yes OO.O 2.0 has been released - looking forward to using the OpenDocument formats
Date: 21 Oct, 2005 on 00:35
fbakan
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.tiscalinet.de/fbakan
since: 31 Aug, 2004
9. Re:OpenOffice 2.0
after copying a windows-instlallation to OS/2 you might experiment with
'aros2.exe soffice.bin'
allthough I didn't manage to save something...
Franz
Date: 21 Oct, 2005 on 00:46
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
10. Re:OpenOffice 2.0
Just tried the aros2.exe soffice.bin on the 2.0 install I'm impressed that it comes up and runs. It is extremely slow though, slower then the OO 1.1.4 for OS/2 version. If Innotek does a port (or a wrapper for it), I hope they'd be able to do soemthing to get it running a little quicker. Although I will point out that the OO 1.1.4 for OS/2 does run quicker then installing the Win32 version and running it with aros2.exe.

For saving, I was able to save on to a Fat32 drive, but not HPFS. That's a little wierd.

Earlier I'd tried aros2.exe soffice.exe and could only get the splash screen. This is encouraging to see that it can run... although there are likely a few issues.

Date: 22 Oct, 2005 on 04:50
Shai
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://qdlos.sourceforge.net/fortrantk/
since: 18 Oct, 2005
11. Re:OpenOffice 2.0
Mhh,
I recently read in the presentation of Bart van Leeuwen and Roderick Klein "eComStation - Version 1.2 and Beyond" from Warpstock Europe 2005 (sadly I couldn't attend) that OpenOffice 2.0 for OS/2 will be a native (non-Odin) port with better Printing and WPS support.
To quote the presentation:

[OpenOffice] Version 2.0 will be available 'early 2006'
– Version 2.0 will be native compiled, i.e. not
based on Odin (advantages: WPS integration,
better printing support)
- Requires: “Support Agreement for
OpenOffice.org for eComStation and OS/2”

I think this would be great - I would even consider buying it (and ignore its price which is still too high for a poor student) and finally switch from StarOffice 5 for OS/2 which was a native OS/2 port, too. (Ok, they had a kind of own widget toolkit/window manager and they seemed to just port the graphics primitives.) We would be finally on the same level in wordprocessing things than Linux and Windows again. What do you think, could it be true?
Date: 26 Nov, 2005 on 14:50
OpenOffice 2.0
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: