Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
Flash 7 via OS2MT. Have you noticed?!
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
melf
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 11 Apr, 2003
1. Flash 7 via OS2MT. Have you noticed?!
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Have you noticed that you now have a flash 7 plugin for your browser (mozillafamily)? It has for my part passed in silence. Have you other guys heard of it?? I just installed it via the very nice OS2 Mainlance Tool by Zolt Kadar. I don't know who has made this new plugin, if it is Zolt Kadar himself or... I haven't given it a thourough test of course, but I could just now open a page I haven't been able to open before. This makes me happy!!
Date: 02 Nov, 2005 on 14:55
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
2. Re:Flash 7 via OS2MT. Have you noticed?!
"I don't think it was released. Rather, it escaped despite the best
efforts of its captors.

-=-
Alan" (copied from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ecsapps).
I think I saw it also at the http://www.os2.org . I think it was said to be an 'unofficial release'. There is also mention of it elsewhere in this forum.

---
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2-eCS.org
Director of Communications
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
supporting the past OS/2 user and the future eCS user
http://www.os2ecs.org

Date: 02 Nov, 2005 on 16:23
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
3. Re:Flash 7 via OS2MT. Have you noticed?!
http://www.os2world.com/cgi-bin/ultraboard/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=74&TID=45&SID=aLRThapzypI4zeVB
I found the posting that had it before (link above); in the internet forum.

---
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2-eCS.org
Director of Communications
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
supporting the past OS/2 user and the future eCS user
http://www.os2ecs.org
Date: 02 Nov, 2005 on 16:25
melf
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
4. Re:Flash 7 via OS2MT. Have you noticed?!
Ok, thanks for your info. This has completely passed me by.
Date: 02 Nov, 2005 on 16:46
ShyGuy
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.designrender.com/
since: 25 Feb, 2004
5. Re:Flash 7 via OS2MT. Have you noticed?!
I've been using the flash7 plugin for a while now. It has a memory leak.
bumping up to 512mb RAM and installing the Flash Block extension helped.

Of Course, Macromedia recently released flash 8, so we're back to the catchup game..

Date: 02 Nov, 2005 on 17:40
flywheel
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/flywheel/
since: 29 May, 2001
6. Re:Flash 7 via OS2MT. Have you noticed?!
last updated at 02 Nov, 2005 18:44 (1 times)

Of Course, Macromedia recently released flash 8, so we're back to the catchup game..

Oh - and has Macromedia changed their licence as they considered, making porting of their tools (like the flash plugin) possible/legal ??

Date: 02 Nov, 2005 on 18:44
Pete
Normal member
in user

since: 14 Aug, 2003
7. Re:Flash 7 via OS2MT. Have you noticed?!

melf (02 Nov, 2005 14:55):
Have you noticed that you now have a flash 7 plugin for your browser (mozillafamily)? It has for my part passed in silence. Have you other guys heard of it?? I just installed it via the very nice OS2 Mainlance Tool by Zolt Kadar. I don't know who has made this new plugin, if it is Zolt Kadar himself or... I haven't given it a thourough test of course, but I could just now open a page I haven't been able to open before. This makes me happy!!

Hi

Just for a bit of maybe accurate rumour-mongering:-

Innotek "ported" Flash7 but were unable to release it due to some license restrictions - price mainly if I remember correctly.

After a bit of a clamour about the existence of a working Flash7 for OS/2 Innotek and Macromedia between them explained the "Why Nots" regarding Innotek being unable to release the software.

Very shortly after this what should popup on an obscure website somewhere in Eastern Europe? - No, No prizes for guessing

Wonder how it got there? - and Who put it there?

Not sure how anyone knew it was there, possibly a notification/posting somewhere maybe on os2world.

But it did not stop there because there is a choice of Flash7a(R14) and Flash7b(R19) packages suggesting that more development was already underway when Innotek found out they could not license the software at reasonable cost.

Personally I have found 7a manually upgraded to 7b by the expedient of copying the necessary npswf32.dll file from the later Flash7 (win32) release to be more stable and reliable then the 7b "port".

I also find FlashBlock indispensible for dealing with all the crap websites that use Flash indiscriminately - I'm not keen on having anything downloaded at my system unless I ask for it. Yes, I do enjoy the odd bit of Flash entertainment but insist that it is optional - my choice of whether to play it or not - rather than the choice of some "webmaster" who would usually be lost without their windows website templates

Have Fun

Pete

Date: 02 Nov, 2005 on 20:53
Ben Dragon
Premium member
in user

since: 15 Apr, 2004
8. Re:Flash 7 via OS2MT. Have you noticed?!

melf (02 Nov, 2005 14:55):
I just installed it via the very nice OS2 Mainlance Tool by Zolt Kadar. I don't know who has made this new plugin, if it is Zolt Kadar himself or...

Do you mean the one at http://www.os2mt.tk/ ?

I've never been able to get that link to work. I've tried it various times of day, but all I get is the Firefox page that says "server not found" or the SCache error "unknown host".

---

Date: 02 Nov, 2005 on 21:04
melf
Premium member
in staff

9. Re:Flash 7 via OS2MT. Have you noticed?!

Do you mean the one at http://www.os2mt.tk/ ?

I've never been able to get that link to work. I've tried it various times of day, but all I get is the Firefox page that says "server not found" or the SCache error "unknown host".

Yes thats the one. It's working right now.

Date: 02 Nov, 2005 on 23:21
Ben Dragon
Premium member
in user

10. Re:Flash 7 via OS2MT. Have you noticed?!
Fascinating.

Nothing here and nslookup gives:

"can't find www.os2mt.tk: Non-existent domain"

Anyone know of any good, free DNSs that I can use as an alt?

---

Date: 03 Nov, 2005 on 00:30
melf
Premium member
in staff

11. Re:Flash 7 via OS2MT. Have you noticed?!
You can download OS2MT.zip directly via http://kadzsol.xs4all.nl/os2mt/os2mt.zip
Date: 03 Nov, 2005 on 12:44
kadzsol
Normal member
in user

since: 05 Nov, 2005
12. Re:Flash 7 via OS2MT. Have you noticed?!
>You can download OS2MT.zip directly via http://.../os2mt/os2mt.zip

Wrong, that is only a part of OS2MT. Even if the URL would be correct I would suggest you to stick with http://www.os2mt.tk. There is no guarantee that the structure of the site will not change in the future and such references will become obsolote. If your DNS cannot resolve .tk domains please complain to the manager of the DNS server.

Ben, I have mailed you the correct direct URL to bypass the problem.

Date: 05 Nov, 2005 on 10:43
Ben Dragon
Premium member
in user

13. Re:Flash 7 via OS2MT. Have you noticed?!
Thanks for the link kadzsol. That did the trick.

FYI, I went to the Internic, and looked up www.os2mt.tk just to be sure that my ISP's DNSs weren't at fault and they had no listing for such a Domain.

Surprisingly enough, there was an MX record for mail.
Something strange going on there.

I don't know how everyone/anyone is getting access to that site.

---

Date: 05 Nov, 2005 on 21:37
kadzsol
Normal member
in user

since: 05 Nov, 2005
14. Re:Flash 7 via OS2MT. Have you noticed?!

Ben Dragon (05 Nov, 2005 21:37):
Thanks for the link kadzsol. That did the trick.

FYI, I went to the Internic, and looked up www.os2mt.tk just to be sure that my ISP's DNSs weren't at fault and they had no listing for such a Domain.

Surprisingly enough, there was an MX record for mail.
Something strange going on there.

I don't know how everyone/anyone is getting access to that site.

There is nothing strange about it: http://www.iana.org/root-whois/tk.htm

It must be a fault of your DNS administrator.

Zsolt

Date: 06 Nov, 2005 on 20:25
Ben Dragon
Premium member
in user

15. Re:Flash 7 via OS2MT. Have you noticed?!

kadzsol (06 Nov, 2005 20:25):
It must be a fault of your DNS administrator.

Not possible.

My DNS has nothing whatsoever to do with the Internic.

It's something deeper than that.

---

Date: 07 Nov, 2005 on 02:19
melf
Premium member
in staff

16. Re:Flash 7 via OS2MT. Have you noticed?!

ShyGuy (02 Nov, 2005 17:40):

Well , I've used it for a while now and it really sucks memory. I installed flashblock and it helped a bit. But when you start looking at some bigger flashpart on some site it just runs away(I got lots of RAM but it just sucked away!); you have to know what your looking at. I'm going back to flash 5 but I did a little change I never thought of before, and that is to edit the pluginreg.dat and change the statement "Shockwave Flash 5.0 r67" to "Shockwave Flash 7.0 r67". Now it seems to report that I have flash 7 and I can enter stupid sites that otherwise won't let me in before upgrading.

Date: 08 Nov, 2005 on 09:15
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
17. Re:Flash 7 via OS2MT. Have you noticed?!
Yup, I've run into the same memory difficulty with the Flash 7 plugin, if I just leave it long enough it not only seems to eat up huge amounts of memory, but also eventually freezes my system completely requiring a reboot.

Thanks for the tip on the Flash 5 in the Pluginreg.dat! I'm going to give that a try and see how well it works.

Date: 08 Nov, 2005 on 19:15
Pete
Normal member
in user

since: 14 Aug, 2003
18. Re:Flash 7 via OS2MT. Have you noticed?!

melf (08 Nov, 2005 09:15):

ShyGuy (02 Nov, 2005 17:40):

Well , I've used it for a while now and it really sucks memory. I installed flashblock and it helped a bit. But when you start looking at some bigger flashpart on some site it just runs away(I got lots of RAM but it just sucked away!); you have to know what your looking at. I'm going back to flash 5 but I did a little change I never thought of before, and that is to edit the pluginreg.dat and change the statement "Shockwave Flash 5.0 r67" to "Shockwave Flash 7.0 r67". Now it seems to report that I have flash 7 and I can enter stupid sites that otherwise won't let me in before upgrading.

I think - could be wrong - that you are meant to delete pluginreg.dat whenever you change plugins.

Starting Mozilla/Firefox/Sea Monkey/OtherVariantName is meant to recreate that dat file with the current "population" of the plugins folder.

Regards

Pete

Date: 08 Nov, 2005 on 21:19
melf
Premium member
in staff

19. Re:Flash 7 via OS2MT. Have you noticed?!
I don' know if you misunderstand me or if it is the opposit. To clarify:
After I have reinstalled the flash 5 plugin, and restarted Firefox the pluginreg.dat is updated and if I type "about:plugins" Flash 5 is reported as the actual plugin. When I visit certain pages/sites (eg one of my internetproviders site) they won't let me in. I get a message that I have to upgrade to flash 6. Well, just for testing purposes I changed the caption of my flash5-plugin in pluginreg.dat as described earlier and restarted firefox again. The result seems to be that my flash 5 plugin is reported to other websites as a flash 7-plugin, and suddenly I am able to enter the same earlier closed site.
Date: 09 Nov, 2005 on 08:44
Ben Dragon
Premium member
in user

20. Re:Flash 7 via OS2MT. Have you noticed?!
Quite interesting.

Has anyone tried to set it to Flash 8 to see if you could get into Flash 8 only sites?

---

Date: 12 Nov, 2005 on 02:42
Flash 7 via OS2MT. Have you noticed?!
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 2 3 | Next >
Go to: