Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
Netlabs "Whats up?" Presentation. Project Voyager !!
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Martin
Team member
in admin

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/
since: 10 Dec, 2000
1. Netlabs "Whats up?" Presentation. Project Voyager !!
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Adrian Gschwend from netlabs made a "Whats up?" presentation on WarpStock europe 2005.

Take an look at it and post your comments here !!
ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/voyager/ALL06_netlabs_org.pdf

Too bad I was not on WarpStock to hear this presentation, just looking at the charts can not get me the complete experience of hearing it. It is a interesting presentation and I agree with a lot of the point Adrian presented.

The project Voyager sound very, "Very", interesting and for my point of view is something realistic. Adrian really made a down to earth presentation with some good points about the OS/2 community.

Of course that I disagree with "The world doesn’t need yet another open source OS"". I agree that the world does not need another Linux. I belive that a complete open source OS/2 - eCS (or whatever it can be called) will get us vendor independance and more freedom for the comercial use of OS/2.

Check the presentation an post your comments. This is a really good project that deserves to be read about.

Date: 08 Dec, 2005 on 18:39
paco
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 20 Oct, 2003
2. Re:Netlabs "Whats up?" Presentation. Project Voyager !!
At last a GOOD FUTURE project that will replace "corporate" dependancy of OS/2.
This is from the presentation :
" Todo I
This is just for those of you who are still motivated to do
something now Feel free to pick up any of the topics, in case
you work on it please let me know (ktk@netlabs.org). I would
appreciate a Wiki-Entry about it at http://wiki.netlabs.org
New CMS for netlabs.org (RSS, XML)
Core team definition, rules
netlabs.org developer guidelines
Community building (sync VOICE & remaining user
groups)
PM/WPS research
Kernel research
Attract companies still using OS/2 and talk to them "

This is my opinion :

- We need this project
- An OS/2 unified community is needed for testing and USING IT
THIS SHOULD BE CARRIED WITH ALL NETLABS-MENSYS+SERENITY SYSTEMS .... and all remaining TeamOS/2... in every country .

- There is a need for a PM replace , long term
- There is a need for a kernel replace mid term

- Some parts of the project NEED to be opensource that does means
a free eCOmStation version or free paid programers....

Date: 10 Dec, 2005 on 12:32
QHand
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 02 Sep, 2003
3. Re:Netlabs "Whats up?" Presentation. Project Voyager !!
Agree with poco.
Maybe just like Redhat, there is a free Fedora and a paid Redhat Linux.
Well, it depends on IBM, if IBM releases the source... maybe IBM buy source codes from M$ and let them open. But this is not typical IBM...
Date: 10 Dec, 2005 on 20:59
Martin
Team member
in admin

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/
since: 10 Dec, 2000
4. Re:Netlabs "Whats up?" Presentation. Project Voyager !!
Also, here are some links to the netlabs wiki.

http://wiki.netlabs.org/index.php/Voyager

http://wiki.netlabs.org/index.php/Voyager_FAQ

Date: 11 Dec, 2005 on 03:13
osw
Normal member
in user

since: 05 Apr, 2005
5. Re:Netlabs "Whats up?" Presentation. Project Voyager !!
Hi!

Voyager sounds very promising and realistic to me. For those of you saying "It won't work!" - go and look on osnew.com. There are many news about new oses and distros every day. Sometime there is a bit about esc/os2. Well, not as often as we'd wish, but - i see no reason not to see more infos about os/3 or ecs/3, or whatever will born after community effort, in near future.
So what about osfree? They've choose and even start to develope something like l4 kernel? Why not to choose this new beast as a foundation for new os and relocate some power to them? They are part of community as well. Also I think 64 bits should be target (both - today existing amd/intel extensions and future full bread 64 bit processors), not to mention multicores. Things like usb mp3 players or webcams should work without any magical tricks, same to printers or scanners.
If it's to much to dream - so better wake up and switch to win...
If I got it right all Voyager is about - is to bring os/2 user experience to modern platform - if so: let's make it more powerfull and safe than bsd or darwin
let's make it more intuitive and object oriented than warp ) and let's make it more eyecandyfull than macOSX )))
All this need excellent hardware support.
Well it's huge project.
But realistic.

greetings/3

Date: 11 Dec, 2005 on 17:55
Netlabs "Whats up?" Presentation. Project Voyager !!
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: