Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
SVISTA networking
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
melf
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 11 Apr, 2003
1. SVISTA networking
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hello!
For the first time I've used SVISTA FR1 more thouroghly. I've installed Win2k in it and the drivers following with. I must say it works great, over my expectations! I've installed Office 97 and FlashMX and both is working great, a near normal performance experience. I'm impressed. I' ve tried to connect to the outerworld via win2k, but that is harder. I've read what I've found is to read about it and checked up advices at SVISTA forum, but no connection. I get message inside win2k that I'm connected but no bits i passing in or out. Is there someone reading this who have succeded?

My settings:

MPTS:
lan0: "IBM high rate wireless lan" bound to tcp/ip, netbios over tcp/ip
lan1: "svista virtual driver" bound to tcp/ip

TCP/IP:
lan0: automatic DHCP
lan1: manually 192.168.100.1, subnetmask 255.255.255.000

Inside win2k: 192.168.100.2, subnetmask 255.255.255.000

Greatful for any hint!

Date: 15 Feb, 2006 on 17:34
paco
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 20 Oct, 2003
2. Re:SVISTA networking
What i see here , is that you have a wireless card , but no driver for the
Svista.

I mean , if you only have one netword card installed , you can't use svista virtual driver to act as a wireless driver . You must use the svista driver in combination to one card .

You shoudl install as follows

MPTS :
lan0: "IBM high rate wireless lan" bound SVISTA VIRTUAL PROTOCOL
lan1: " SVISTA VIRTUAL DRIVER" bound to tcp/ip
this way you will use the svista protocol as a SWICHT, if not, only you computer or svista will have network acces , hehehehe
TCP/IP:
lan1: automatic DHCP
Inside win2k: 192.168.100.2, subnetmask 255.255.255.000

but have in consideration dhcp addres can be in a differt range than that inside win2k

Date: 17 Feb, 2006 on 12:27
melf
Premium member
in staff

3. Re:SVISTA networking
Thanks for respons paco. I've never seen the use of the virtual protocol in any official papers, so I will check it out. I shall also look at an article in Os2ezine and try to understand that. It is not very easy for a non-technician, I say. I will post a message here again when/if I succeed.
Date: 17 Feb, 2006 on 16:32
melf
Premium member
in staff

4. Re:SVISTA networking
I couldn't make networking function in the way paco described, but I put a question at the SVISTA forum and got an answer from the SVISTA team. It turned out that there is a very pedagogic and detailed network guide for SVISTA, (that I had no idea of). I bought, like many others I guess, the beta version and then we got the GA release without further costs. The network guide pdf was not uploaded on my Mensys account and I guess that have been the case for many other people. Now it is there, so if you haven't seen it before and need it, take a look. There is also a preconfigured squid-file, yet not uploaded, but I hope they will do that too, that made internet connection very much easyer. (I tried the one at hobbes but for me it was a hopeless task to configure that.) To get the specialsquid now I reqested the evaluation version of SVISTA and there it was, and also the network guide. Well, with the network guide and squid, setting up a connection was very easy.

As I for the moment use Flash, Dreamweaver and Photoshop in a course I'm attending it is very convenient for me to use SVISTA. I can use my favourite OS and then just switch to another virtual desktop, where I have e.g Dreamweaver. I easily look at sites with both Explorer (via Svista) and Firefox(via eCS), and I don't have to reboot and switch to a winpartition. That is great!

Date: 03 Mar, 2006 on 16:07
SVISTA networking
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: