Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
Terrible Press, who is this guy?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
lpino
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 12 Jul, 2003
1. Terrible Press, who is this guy?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Reading an article about VMWARE and Virtual PC, I came across the following paragraph:
"Oddly enough, Virtual PC's Additions package supports the world's worst brain-dead operating system, OS/2, an OS that became DOA in the face of the vastly superior Windows and Windows NT."

Does he has a clue?

The author is John Tränkenschuh and the article is at: http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=474241&rl=1

PS: From the bio page "His work teaching Visual Basic .Net at a local University has helped him earn Microsoft's Most Valuable Professional designation for the third year straight.".

I guess that explains a lot

Date: 19 Jun, 2006 on 17:35
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
2. Re:Terrible Press, who is this guy?
I don't know who he is but he seems rather ignorant when it comes to OS/2. I wonder if he knows about eComStation?

---
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2-eCS.org
Director of Communications
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
supporting the past OS/2 user and the future eCS user
http://www.os2ecs.org
Date: 19 Jun, 2006 on 18:07
flywheel
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/flywheel/
since: 29 May, 2001
3. Re:Terrible Press, who is this guy?
To me it rather seems like he doesn't know much about the life and world outside his own little MS-Window.
Date: 19 Jun, 2006 on 19:34
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Nov, 2002
4. Re:Terrible Press, who is this guy?
Folks,

it doesn't even make sense to waste time thinking about it. What the heck - from his bio, I read

"...and help the Center for Internet Security create security benchmarks for key technologies"

Wow - he seems to be a security professional, well? Okay - I'm too. And as professional, manufacturer-independant consultant (and certified "IT security coordinator") it simply makes me drop off my chair laughing when this "security professional" really dares to write...:

"Many of my presentations discuss home security, where XP and Windows 2000 are the predominant "kings of the hill."

Wuhaha! Yeah. That's what the ranking for security issues tells us - great joke, man, great joke!

And to be honest - yawn - virtualization technology from Microsoft... hmm? Fine. Let's talk about the fact that Virtual PC was not "invented" by Microsoft. It was simply bought from Connectix, because at Redmond they knew they would never be able to cope with the existing competitors.

And what about
"After this one change, installation was much, much snappier and only got better once the Additions for Windows, DOS, and OS/2 were installed."

I think I know what he *wanted* to say, but - harhar - instead this simply reads like:
"OS/2 is shit but if you install the additions for it, the Virtual stuff gets snappier".

That'll leave some newbies puzzled. Well, John, thanks for making clear that OS/2 will increase performance! )

Nah, come on. For the sake of mankind, let's close this thread.

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 21 Jun, 2006 on 11:58
Radek
Premium member
in user

since: 17 Jul, 2003
5. Re:Terrible Press, who is this guy?
I agree with Warpcafe. Let us do not waste time with such "professionals". I am sure that everyone of us has met this kind of "professionals" in everyday life: They usually know much less about anything except winblows than everyone knows about anything including winblows. You can talk weather or women with them but hardly something more.

Let us summarize. Another article written by this kind of "professionals" has been printed somewhere. It is not the first one, it is not the last one. Good. And?

Date: 21 Jun, 2006 on 14:20
Glenn
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.roches-noires.net
since: 19 Sep, 2003
6. Re:Terrible Press, who is this guy?
warpcafe points out that this guy is a "security professionnal". Then it all makes sense ! What would be a security professionnal in an OS/2 world ? An unemployed person... So the message is : use windows and its security holes, you give me a job ! (and on the other hand, I the security professionnal will install OS/2 for my own use.). Logical, isn't it ?
Date: 21 Jun, 2006 on 17:10
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
7. Re:Terrible Press, who is this guy?
There are many aspects of Windows NT / 2000 / XP which help keep people employed... in some ways that's both a strength and weakness of OS/2... the "Set it up, automate it, and forget about it" environment that you can create with an OS/2 system doesn't necessairly lead to continual employment.
Date: 21 Jun, 2006 on 20:33
Terrible Press, who is this guy?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: