Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
Increase page draw speed on Mozilla/Firefox/Seamonkey?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
RobertM
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 16 Aug, 2004
1. Increase page draw speed on Mozilla/Firefox/Seamonkey?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hi All,

I've been noticing on my OS/2 and eCS machines that Mozilla/Seamonkey/Firefox all tend to draw pages (especially ones with a lot of tables) a lot slower than their Windoze counterparts. I dont know if it's specific to the OS/2 ports or if there is a setting/DLL change that will improve this and was hoping someone could tell me what's up.

All the systems are running latest SciTech SNAP drivers (except one ancient Thinkpad that is running an earlier 3.x release). The systems have varying video cards ranging from the 2MB NeoMagic in the Thinkpad to 128MB or greater ATI (9200 & 9250) and nVidia cards (on an Asus A8n series mobo - dont remember which video chipset). All but the Asus board and Thinkpad have dedicated video RAM and are AGP cards (the Asus I dont recall if it's an onboard or not).

The systems are 266MHz (Thinkpad), 1100MHz Compaq w/ ATI 9250, and AMD 3400+ on the Asus board.

Any suggestions, or someone telling me this is just a porting issue, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

Date: 27 Jul, 2006 on 02:31
Sebadoh
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.newterrasoftware.com
since: 10 Apr, 2001
2. Re:Increase page draw speed on Mozilla/Firefox/Seamonkey?
Believe this is just a porting issue, however I've never really noticed any slowdown between the windows and OS/2 systems on my network, however at work, the windows (only system used there) are much faster.. but my network at home slows down alot because I live kinda out in the sticks.

RobertM (27 Jul, 2006 02:31):
Hi All,

I've been noticing on my OS/2 and eCS machines that Mozilla/Seamonkey/Firefox all tend to draw pages (especially ones with a lot of tables) a lot slower than their Windoze counterparts. I dont know if it's specific to the OS/2 ports or if there is a setting/DLL change that will improve this and was hoping someone could tell me what's up.

All the systems are running latest SciTech SNAP drivers (except one ancient Thinkpad that is running an earlier 3.x release). The systems have varying video cards ranging from the 2MB NeoMagic in the Thinkpad to 128MB or greater ATI (9200 & 9250) and nVidia cards (on an Asus A8n series mobo - dont remember which video chipset). All but the Asus board and Thinkpad have dedicated video RAM and are AGP cards (the Asus I dont recall if it's an onboard or not).

The systems are 266MHz (Thinkpad), 1100MHz Compaq w/ ATI 9250, and AMD 3400+ on the Asus board.

Any suggestions, or someone telling me this is just a porting issue, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

Date: 27 Jul, 2006 on 06:29
abwillis
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 21 Mar, 2003
3. Re:Increase page draw speed on Mozilla/Firefox/Seamonkey?
Probably related to:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=258136
Date: 27 Jul, 2006 on 07:01
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

since: 26 Nov, 2002
4. Re:Increase page draw speed on Mozilla/Firefox/Seamonkey?
last updated at 27 Jul, 2006 13:41 (1 times)
Hi folks,

looking at the bugzilla stuff, it seems that this bug is quite "old" and some newer versions were deployed since IIRC. I first assumed that you were using an outdated version of Mozilla, but judging from your list ("seamonkey") I think that you use quite current builds...

There's a Yahoo!Groups gruop named WarpBrowsers
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WarpBrowsers/
...which I went to but failed to run a search on the topic (it tells me "unrecognized characters in search string" although I just entered two words - what a dipshit interface <sigh>) but it might be worth checking there (or posting a plea for help...)

It might also be worth (perhaps as a last way out) to ask Peter Weilbacher (unofficial ports maintainer) directly if he knows something about it... use
mozilla {at} Weilbacher {dot} org
for a mail to him...

HTH
Thomas

Date: 27 Jul, 2006 on 13:39
RobertM
Premium member
in user

5. Re:Increase page draw speed on Mozilla/Firefox/Seamonkey?
Thank you all for your responses...

And yes, I am (mostly) using the current versions:

On the Thinkpad, I have an older Mozilla build and a few month old Seamonkey build.

On this machine (the 1.1GHz Celery chip, ATI 9250 AGP), I have Seamonkey Build 2006062009, BonEcho (latest beta), Latest Firefox 1.5x and experience the same issues.

I connect to my own local server using the same network, a Windoze machine and the OS/2 WSeB 4.52 CP2 PF or eCS 1.2R machines... so there isn't a Internet/network slowdown (nothing else on these networks).

For an example of what I mean, attached is a screenshot. When I select "Reports", it generates the listing on the right part of the screen. On the Warp/eCS machines, it takes about 10 seconds, and you can watch it draw each table cell slow as molasses. On the Windoze machines, it's an unnoticeable fraction of a second to load and show the entire frame.

Thanks all,
Robert

Date: 27 Jul, 2006 on 18:29 Attachment: Captured002.jpg
RobertM
Premium member
in user

6. Re:Increase page draw speed on Mozilla/Firefox/Seamonkey?
last updated at 27 Jul, 2006 18:35 (1 times)
Also, on any version of Mozilla/Firefox/BonEcho/Seamonkey that has Innotek's font antialiasing enabled, during this process, the browser tends to create (and leave) lines across the image. The lines appear to be from it drawing the tablesets (usually a few pixels high), and then re-sizing them to fit the text, then drawing the next table row in the same fashion - this forces the FieldSet (the labelled box around the tables - in the screenshot's case it is labelled "Members Found") to grow larger to accomodate the rest of the table and leave artifacts on the screen.

Dunno why.

We're rolling out a bunch of eCS based server solutions, and our clients so far are impressed with it's speed and responsiveness as a server, but that means we have to log on to their websites/web driven databases from a Windoze machine or it spoils the whole effect as the Mozilla apps take much longer to load the same exact pages on eCS.

And of course, the video artifacts dont help the matter either, but the antialiased fonts do look much better than the standard choppy (even at decent resolution) text (the screenshot was taken on this system set at 1280x1024).

Thanks,
Robert

Date: 27 Jul, 2006 on 18:34
RobertM
Premium member
in user

7. Re:Increase page draw speed on Mozilla/Firefox/Seamonkey?

abwillis (27 Jul, 2006 07:01):
Probably related to:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=258136[/quote]

Hi,

Indeed it seems to be, though the presence (or lack thereof) of a scrolbar(s) seems irrelevant to the issue. As it seems to be formatting as it draws though (draw table cell, resize height and width for character one, resize width for character 2-#, draw next cell and repeat process), it could still be related to that bug maybe (continuously calling a redraw for each character and cell)?

Most of the pages fit in the frameset and require no scrollbars (which are set to auto or none).

Thanks for the input - all of you have just saved me a bunch of reinstalls and DLL removals/installs to try to correct this issue.

Thanks,
Robert

Date: 27 Jul, 2006 on 19:20
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
8. Re:Increase page draw speed on Mozilla/Firefox/Seamonkey?
last updated at 27 Jul, 2006 20:24 (1 times)

RobertM (27 Jul, 2006 18:35):
Also, on any version of Mozilla/Firefox/BonEcho/Seamonkey that has Innotek's font antialiasing enabled, during this process, the browser tends to create (and leave) lines across the image. The lines appear to be from it drawing the tablesets (usually a few pixels high), and then re-sizing them to fit the text, then drawing the next table row in the same fashion - this forces the ...

Just to comment, I've found that while on the one hand the Innotek font driver does produce a nice looking output, I've also found that it slows down any application that is running with it. A while back I became frustrated with some of the slowness of Firefox on OS/2 compared to the same version of Firefox on Windows, and I decided to turn off the Innotek antialiasing font driver. It sped things up a bit, but at the price of the display.

As a comprimise (Because IBM's truetype.dll does such a lousy job rendering truetype fonts), I've installed the freetype/2 dll on my system. Its an older version of freetype and doesn't have the full anti-aliasing stuff that the Innotek driver has, but on the other hand it does a much better job of displaying truetype fonts then IBM's driver, and it allows for Firefox to run a little quicker.

But, Firefox on OS/2 is still slower then its Windows counterpart (at least when I compare it running under Windows 98 ), I'm not sure why this is so.

Incidentlly, the referenced bug on the bugzilla database, I'm not sure I fully believe the "explanation" that is offered there, that the problem is related to OS/2's task scheduler. This is simply because if I load up the "test file" that they have on that site in older copies of Netscape (the old Netscape 2.02, and Communicator 4.61 for OS/2 - both of which I still have on my system), the load time and rendering of that test file is actually a few seconds faster on OS/2 then it is on the same versions of those apps under Windows. But loading that test file under either Seamonkey or Firefox in OS/2, and then loading the same file under the Windows versions of Firefox or Seamonkey, the OS/2 version does suffer a significant performance hit. If the problem was the OS/2 task scheduler, I'd expect to see similar performance hits on the earlier versions of Netscape / Communicator when loading that test file.

Date: 27 Jul, 2006 on 20:20
RobertM
Premium member
in user

9. Re:Increase page draw speed on Mozilla/Firefox/Seamonkey?
Hi Fahrvenugen,

I've disabled the Innotek engine for a couple of the web browsers, though it helps, as you noted, the help isnt much to get eCS/Mozilla to compare in speed with Win/Mozilla.

And yeah, I've had the same experience with NS 4.61 - it's blazingly fast in comparison to newer versions of Mozilla Products on Warp, and faster than them on Windows. If it supported handling frames and stylesheets as well, I'd just make do with that... but since you've brought that up, I'd definitely tend to agree with you that the problem is not related to what they're indicating, or perhaps the problem is that the Mozilla products try to redraw waaay too many times before it's figured out what the page layout should be?

Dunno... but I guess it's not something I can fix. I'm going to email Peter Weilbacher as Thomas suggested and see if he can shed some light on it or knows of a fix in the works... I'll post whatever I hear on this board for everyone's benefit (hoping it's good news).

Thanks again,
Robert

Fahrvenugen (27 Jul, 2006 20:24):

RobertM (27 Jul, 2006 18:35):
Also, on any version of Mozilla/Firefox/BonEcho/Seamonkey that has Innotek's font antialiasing enabled, during this process, the browser tends to create (and leave) lines across the image. The lines appear to be from it drawing the tablesets (usually a few pixels high), and then re-sizing them to fit the text, then drawing the next table row in the same fashion - this forces the ...

Just to comment, I've found that while on the one hand the Innotek font driver does produce a nice looking output, I've also found that it slows down any application that is running with it. A while back I became frustrated with some of the slowness of Firefox on OS/2 compared to the same version of Firefox on Windows, and I decided to turn off the Innotek antialiasing font driver. It sped things up a bit, but at the price of the display.

As a comprimise (Because IBM's truetype.dll does such a lousy job rendering truetype fonts), I've installed the freetype/2 dll on my system. Its an older version of freetype and doesn't have the full anti-aliasing stuff that the Innotek driver has, but on the other hand it does a much better job of displaying truetype fonts then IBM's driver, and it allows for Firefox to run a little quicker.

But, Firefox on OS/2 is still slower then its Windows counterpart (at least when I compare it running under Windows 98 ), I'm not sure why this is so.

Incidentlly, the referenced bug on the bugzilla database, I'm not sure I fully believe the "explanation" that is offered there, that the problem is related to OS/2's task scheduler. This is simply because if I load up the "test file" that they have on that site in older copies of Netscape (the old Netscape 2.02, and Communicator 4.61 for OS/2 - both of which I still have on my system), the load time and rendering of that test file is actually a few seconds faster on OS/2 then it is on the same versions of those apps under Windows. But loading that test file under either Seamonkey or Firefox in OS/2, and then loading the same file under the Windows versions of Firefox or Seamonkey, the OS/2 version does suffer a significant performance hit. If the problem was the OS/2 task scheduler, I'd expect to see similar performance hits on the earlier versions of Netscape / Communicator when loading that test file.

Date: 27 Jul, 2006 on 21:07
RobertM
Premium member
in user

10. Re:Increase page draw speed on Mozilla/Firefox/Seamonkey?
Hey all,

Peter sent me this response...

code:

Robert,

it seems that Andy pointed you to the right bug in the thread already,
there are other similar bugs for different kinds pages.
There isn't much I can add about it. We lack a proper profiler for GCC
code on OS/2, until there is one these bugs are impossible to fix.

Peter

Date: 28 Jul, 2006 on 04:11
Increase page draw speed on Mozilla/Firefox/Seamonkey?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: