Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Applications
Java Virtual Machine 1.5.0.6
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
warprulz
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 23 Nov, 2004
21. Re:Java Virtual Machine 1.5.0.6
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
<snip>

Interesting. It doesn't seem to define very specifically what is "research," but redistribution seems strictly limited to whatever "research" is being done. It does seem that the intent of releasing it for research is to A) educate potential future programmers about Java technology, and B) get interested programmers to do some of the work of improving Java for Sun.

That's how I understand the license.

So, assuming the source that is available is sufficient for the task, porting Java to OS/2 could be research in the sense that it involves studying what it takes to port Java to an unsupported platform.

The results of that research could be in the form of source code and build instructions so it runs on OS/2. The researcher(s) could not distribute that to the public, but they could present it back to Sun, who would be free (and maybe even pleased?) to distribute it in binary form along with the rest of the binary distributions. That would constitute an improvement.

My understanding is that source and build process could be distributed. According to the JDL, we couldn't distribute the binaries for production/productive use without paying Sun royalities. Why couldn't we distribute with the disclaimer the binaries are for research use only and are not suitable for production/productive use? This *might* be a loophole we could use. Reading legal documents bore me to death so I may have misread something.

Also, Sun wouldn't want the task of dealing with a "dead" platform. They also wouldn't want to have to handle yet another platform since they have Windoze, Solaris, and Linux. That is why they, through licensing, allowed Innotek and GoldenCode to do 1.4.

All too easy perhaps. Whoever undertakes the project would need to check with Sun and see if that meets the conditions of the JRL.

And the JIUL and JDL....
Actually, I don't think the JIUL would be at issue. It's just that stupid JDL. Of course, if the funds are available to pay Sun the royalities on the JDL then the JDL would be a non-issue. For these companies, it's all about the $$$$. Pay GoldenCode enough, they'd be happy to do a native 1.5 and 1.6 port. There's just not interest from parties with the deep pockets.

Date: 01 Sep, 2006 on 16:31
Java Virtual Machine 1.5.0.6
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 2 | Next >
Go to: