Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Multimedia
Slow performance with WarpVision
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Nov, 2002
1. Slow performance with WarpVision
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
last updated at 15 Mar, 2003 16:58 (1 times)
Hi,

before again bothering the KIEV folks with that question, I'll post it here, as there might be one or the other fellow user who can give me a hint on what to do...:
I have the latest WarpVision with all the stuff needed and finally (after removing jumpers and doing a firware upgrade and a region set) am able to play a DVD in my Pioneer DVD-Rom 303, but... it works great for quite 3 seconds, then it's getting slower and slower (video runs out of snyc with frames dropping in one per second...). Pausing playback for a second and resuming it will again do great playback for about 3 seconds, then... slowing.. down...

The (relevant parts of) system hardware config is:
- Athlon 800 MHz
- 128 Megs RAM
- Matrox GA-200 w/ 8 Megs RAM and latest Snap
- Symbios 53C875-based SCSI controller
- UW SCSI harddrive
- SCSI-2 DVD ROM drive

The trouble is, that (as always) the same system running Win98SE will show great, flawless, full-synced DVD playback.
Now... I tried with and without WarpOverlay and with different resolutions, priorities and so on... no noticeable change of performance.

What the heck is the cause of the slow performance in Warp? SCSI?
Or to put it that way: I assume it to be SCSI-related - is there anyone out there who's using a SCSI (6x) DVD-ROM drive with WarpVision and everything is fine?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Thomas

Date: 15 Mar, 2003 on 16:57
vagy
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 18 Mar, 2003
2. Re:Slow performance with WarpVision
I've the same SCSI DVD-ROM model and i experience the
same problem. Besides this AND the well known problem
of some(?) Pioneer drives that cant play AudioCD on /2,
the drive seems to work flawlessly. Maybe this has
something to do with the WarpVision itself. Have you tried
it with some ATA DVD-ROM drive? If you do pls post

vagy

Date: 18 Mar, 2003 on 15:55
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

3. Re:Slow performance with WarpVision
Hi,

thanks for the confirmation. Well I might swap the DVD into my wife's PC as she is running Windoze and get myself a IDE DVD drive. Although this is sad, as I actually want to avoid having a mixed setup (SCSI + IDE).
But with the price difference between a SCSI hard disk and an IDE hard disk in mind, I'll change to IDE in the long anyway and keep the SCSI controller for my streamer only (sigh).

I'll let you know if there's anything new...
Greetings (and thanks)
Thomas

Date: 18 Mar, 2003 on 19:53
RolandR
Normal member
in user

since: 27 Nov, 2002
4. Re:Slow performance with WarpVision
Well, I do have the same DVD-drive (Pioneer DVD-303S), an Athlon 500 and 128 MB RAM. With the present WV-version I can watch DVD-movies, but it is not very pleasant: synchronisaton is kept, but frames are dropped, i.e. I do not see smooth movements but rather discrete ones.

Before I attained this state, it was similar to your description. There are several factors influencing WV-performance. 1st of all I recommend to read the following article very carefully: http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0303H/vnewsf4.htm

Then, there are a few things to optimize:

1. Adjust the priority to 1 (one). This is the highest priority and not 4 ! Do this in the WVGUI- configuration menu. This has boosted the performance on my system. You can also try to set the priority of all other processes to 4. Watchcat together with the "nice"-dll (from Hobbes) can adjust the priority for any process.

2. Use Scitech Display Doctor as your video driver. You can use the OEM version released to IBM and available from the eCS website for registered eCS users.

3. Obtain and register Warpoverlay from the Kiev elephant site. This switches hardware avcceleration on but only if you use the Scitech Display doctor. By the way, your the performance of your video card is crucial. I have a Matrox G450.

4. It may also help if you choose as your horizontal frequency a multiple of the frame rate of the DVD. A PAL-compatible DVD has approx. 25Hz framerate, hence 75Hz for your video mode would be advisable.

5. You should have the most recent version of the UDF-filesystem drivers. Presently version 2.01 from July 2002. Loas udf.ifs befor cdfs.ifs!!!

6. There is a utility on Hobbes to activate the framebuffer on your videocard (p6k7mtrr_v008a.zip). You can also give this a try, parallel to using SDD and Warpoverlay.

7. Disable any postprocessing in the configuration menu of WV. Postprocessing consumes only processor power and thus decelerates your processor.

8. Did I forget anything ? Well, may be, use the most recent version of WVGUI resp. WVCLI. The most recent version of WVGUI worked better for me than WVCLI.

Your processor is a bit more powerful than mine, finally, you should get a slightly better result than me.

Date: 20 Mar, 2003 on 23:54
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

5. Re:Slow performance with WarpVision

1st of all I recommend to read the following article very carefully: http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0303H/vnewsf4.htm

I did.

1. Adjust the priority to 1 (one).
I did.

2. Use Scitech Display Doctor as your video driver. You can use the OEM version released to IBM and available from the eCS website for registered eCS users.
I'm registered user of SNAP! which is the successor to SDD, thus shouldn't be any great difference...

3. Obtain and register Warpoverlay from the Kiev elephant site.
As I said, I tried but without success...

4. It may also help if you choose as your horizontal frequency a multiple of the frame rate of the DVD. A PAL-compatible DVD has approx. 25Hz framerate, hence 75Hz for your video mode would be advisable.
Interesting fact... but unfortunately, I'm already running at 75MHz...

5. You should have the most recent version of the UDF-filesystem drivers. Presently version 2.01 from July 2002. Loas udf.ifs befor cdfs.ifs!!!
Latest driver in use. If UDF.IFS wouldn't be loadad prior to CDFS.IFS, I would have some other - bigger - problems...

6. There is a utility on Hobbes to activate the framebuffer on your videocard (p6k7mtrr_v008a.zip). You can also give this a try, parallel to using SDD and Warpoverlay.
AFAIK, p6k7mttr is made for mobo-BIOS'es that don't already have a built-in write combine chache function... but my MoBo has. So is it still of use to load this driver? Did I get something wrong?

7. Disable any postprocessing in the configuration menu of WV. Postprocessing consumes only processor power and thus decelerates your processor.
This is disabled by default - and that's what I tried first. I later tried to see if I can turn "down" processor usage by selecting below-default values for postprocessing, but things went worse so I turned back off.

Your processor is a bit more powerful than mine, finally, you should get a slightly better result than me.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. At least, it kept me thinking of the problem. In the meanwhile I wrote to the KIEV guys and as it seems by their response, they might suspect the DVD disc to be dusty/scratched.... which is not the fact, as it's a brand new one. Unfortunately it's the only DVD I got. I'll have to wait for the weekend to have a friend bring along some DVDs for testing.

Again, Thanks!
Thomas

Date: 21 Mar, 2003 on 00:12
abwillis
Premium member
in user

since: 21 Mar, 2003
6. Re:Slow performance with WarpVision
If you have a recent kernel, the last year or so then in the config.sys put
CLOCKSCALE=4
notice no set in front of it just the line.
Andy
Date: 21 Mar, 2003 on 20:47
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

7. Re:Slow performance with WarpVision

abwillis (Mar 21, 2003 21:47):
If you have a recent kernel, the last year or so then in the config.sys put
CLOCKSCALE=4
notice no set in front of it just the line.
Andy

Hey thanks a lot!
I already had that line, bup - oops - with the "SET" in front...
I'll try to check whether that now improves the playback...

Again, big thanks!
Thomas

Date: 21 Mar, 2003 on 21:22
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

8. Re:Slow performance with WarpVision
Again "oops" !
Without the "SET" in front, I get an error message at bootup stating that this line will be skipped... seems like the "SET" is somehow necessary.
Strange thing... does it work on your system that way? What Warp version are you running then?

Cheers
Thomas

Date: 22 Mar, 2003 on 11:26
RolandR
Normal member
in user

9. Re:Slow performance with WarpVision
You seem to have done everything correctly. Your guess that it depends on the DVD may be correct, I do not know. I have tested it extensively, with good results, with "Lord of the Rings 1".

Another difference is your video card, it is a Matrox G200, which is a bit slower and older than mine (G400).

Date: 25 Mar, 2003 on 19:21
RolandR
Normal member
in user

10. Re:Slow performance with WarpVision
You should also try to select the least ressources consuming audio track, i.e. 5+1 surround sound requires more processing power than plain stereo.
Date: 25 Mar, 2003 on 19:30
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

11. Re:Slow performance with WarpVision
[

RolandR (Mar 25, 2003 20:30):
You should also try to select the least ressources consuming audio track, i.e. 5+1 surround sound requires more processing power than plain stereo.

Oh come on! I'm an OS/2 user!!
Did you really expect me to use such things like 5:1 ??

I am very low-expectational, modest and completety satisfied if something works at all, I dont rely on high-quality sound! This is why - of course - I selected the most simple sound channel by default!

One never knows with multimedia stuff on OS/2: You turn on an option that looks harmless at first sight and - whooom! - something is burning, melting or dissolving inside your machine.
)

Thanks anyway!
Thomas

Date: 25 Mar, 2003 on 21:03
davidfor
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/djfos2
since: 20 Jan, 2003
12. Re:Slow performance with WarpVision

warpcafe (Mar 22, 2003 12:26):
Again "oops" !
Without the "SET" in front, I get an error message at bootup stating that this line will be skipped... seems like the "SET" is somehow necessary.
Strange thing... does it work on your system that way? What Warp version are you running then?

This means that you are using an older kernel. Some time ago (late 2001 I think) this was added to the kernel. And there was a new CLOCK01.SYS to go with it. Both are needed for it to work, but, the newer kernels are needed to recognise the CLOCKSCALE statement in the CONFIG.SYS. The kernels came out on IBM's testcase ftp site. OS2Site has the latest ones at http://www.os2site.com/sw/upgrades/kernal/index.html. Unfotunately, these don't include CLOCK01.SYS anymore as I believe this was added to an MCP build or a fixpacks.

Also, on the matter of the frame buffers/write-combining mentioned earlier, this was added to the Scitech drivers some time ago. I think it was in the later beta versions of SDD, but, it is definitely in SNAP. To see if it is being turned on, look in the GRAPHICS.LOG.

David
Date: 25 Mar, 2003 on 23:15
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

13. Re:Slow performance with WarpVision

davidfor (Mar 26, 2003 00:15):
This means that you are using an older kernel. Some time ago (late 2001 I think) this was added to the kernel. And there was a new CLOCK01.SYS to go with it. Both are needed for it to work, but, the newer kernels are needed to recognise the CLOCKSCALE statement in the CONFIG.SYS. The kernels came out on IBM's testcase ftp site. OS2Site has the latest ones at http://www.os2site.com/sw/upgrades/kernal/index.html. Unfotunately, these don't include CLOCK01.SYS anymore as I believe this was added to an MCP build or a fixpacks.

Hmm... I'm using Warp MCP from off the eCS 1.0 CDs... so I might need to check for updated kernels, right? And for a newer CLOCK01.SYS somwehere... maybe some good soul has it available somewhere too. At least, I'll check at the ftp site of IBM...

Thanks for your support!
Thomas

Date: 26 Mar, 2003 on 11:19
abwillis
Premium member
in user

since: 21 Mar, 2003
14. Re:Slow performance with WarpVision
Get the eCSMT tool from www.ecomstation.com. It will pull up the updates for that are available for eCS. If you install fixpak 3 you will be updated enough with it. or there are kernals available there too.
Andy
Date: 30 Mar, 2003 on 22:48
Slow performance with WarpVision
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: