Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Multimedia
Installing WarpVision, Odin and Win32codecs
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
ely
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 24 Nov, 2003
1. Installing WarpVision, Odin and Win32codecs
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
As I understand it I have to install Odin together with WarpVision to see RealPlayer or WindowsMedia videos. The ReadMe file for Odin says: "You MUST install Odin at least once using WarpIn (unless you know what you're doing). Afterwards you can use the daily build zipfiles to upgrade to a newer version."
But where is the .wpi file for Odin? I have downloaded "odin32bin-20060825-release-xp.ZIP", but that does not contain any Warpin file. So what to do?
The next problem is to install what is called win32codecs. I have got ca. 150 dll's and other files called win32codecs. Where do I put them, or may be there is some pointer to update after Odin is installed?
I appreciate some hints or "how to".
Date: 17 Jan, 2007 on 15:13
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
2. Re:Installing WarpVision, Odin and Win32codecs
http://www.os2warp.org/odin/2005/index.html
Here is a directory with some ODIN .wpi files. It is 2005 but one could install the newer version after installing the .wpi version and over write the older files(?).

ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/odin
The ftp site for ODIN.

---
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2-eCS.org
Director of Communications
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
supporting the past OS/2 user and the future eCS user
http://www.os2ecs.org

Date: 17 Jan, 2007 on 17:08
melf
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 11 Apr, 2003
3. Re:Installing WarpVision, Odin and Win32codecs
1) Install latest *.wpi pack following BWG:s link. Reboot. You'll get a folder on desktop containing, among other objects, the "Odin tool". 2) Open odin tool and press "install zip" and choose the directory for your zip-file from 20060825, which I think is the latest. Well, you're updated. 3) Download ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/wvgui/wincodecs/wincodecs_new.zip 4) Unzip and copy system.ini to X:\ODIN, replace the one that's there. 6) copy all other files to X:\ODIN\SYSTEM32 and use commandline for this, otherwise the two .drv files will not copy. (Standing in directory of files, that is: copy *.* X:\ODIN\SYSTEM32.) 7) Now it should work!

---
/Mikael
Date: 18 Jan, 2007 on 00:02
abwillis
Premium member
in user

since: 21 Mar, 2003
4. Re:Installing WarpVision, Odin and Win32codecs
last updated at 18 Jan, 2007 06:26 (1 times)
One other thing... odin\system32 will need to be in your libpath.
You can either use a script to set either beginlibpath or endlibpath or you can add it to your libpath in config.sys (some people don't like the last option for a number of reasons) but I think the wpi does give you the option to update the config.sys.
Date: 18 Jan, 2007 on 06:25
OriA;
Normal member
in user

since: 20 Nov, 2006
5. Re:Installing WarpVision, Odin and Win32codecs
Little old me is also in this process. I installed Odin from a wpi file of an older version - from 2005, I believe - not long ago, but didn't know how to update it, so I've already gotten one answer from this thread. I installed the windows codecs, and placed system ini where it belongs. I then installed the latest release of WarpVision.

This is where I sit. What do I do now (I primarily want to use WarpVision with FireFox and possibly Seamonkey to view video clips and such?) I currently have a Matrox G450 AGP card, which will at some point (when my computer fixing friend comes over) be replaced by an ATI (actually Sapphire) Radeon 9250. I'm using the latest SciTech video drivers available via eCS - version 3.18, I believe.) I installed the MPC extension for Firefox, but currently have it disabled (I got some advice on configuring it) until I know what to make sure everything is kosher with all the installations. Knowing me, I probably missed something. Do I need WarpOverlay, for example? Which version of Odin should I update to?

Despite having used OS/2 since 2.11, my knowledge doesn't extend far beyond the basics. I have health issues that make concentration and typing difficult, so I greatly appreciate all the help I've gotten, and continue to get, over the years from the OS/2 community. As always, thank you for any help. I have no desire to use Windows, so the OS/2 help I get, and the great folks that continue to produce applications that keep this great operating system going in spite of IBM's idiocy keep me from having to switch to the M$ monopoly.

Speaking of M$, I read a column that said Vista will cost $399, and each copy must be licensed to one computer. If you change a motherboard, that would require purchasing another copy of Vista, apparently. IBM should resurrect OS/2 under the eComStation name, as that OEM OS/2 continues to forge ahead, and update the OS. The WPS still apparently beats the Windows system, and the OS is more secure. so there should be a market, with good advertising .

I wish I remember where I read that column. I believe it was actually a Linux site (no, I don't know Linux, but I wish to learn the basics.) Let me see if I can find the url... found it!

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36653

---
Alan

Nerve Center BBS tncbbs.no-ip.com

Date: 18 Jan, 2007 on 22:01
melf
Premium member
in staff

6. Re:Installing WarpVision, Odin and Win32codecs
Hello Alan!
First: I also read that about Vista and the license to one computer..crazy. If they were not so big I'd say they were digging their own grave.

Odin: I think last update is 20060825.

WarpVision: If SNAPoverlay or warpoverlay supports you videocard you can configure WarpVision for that. I don't have it myself but guess performance is much better. I also use MPC for looking at videos via Firefox and it works well. Streamed media works with various quality, but maybee that is due to the non support of my video card (Just VESA support). Otherwise WarpVision works great even for me!

---
/Mikael

Date: 19 Jan, 2007 on 09:53
ely
Normal member
in user

7. Re:Installing WarpVision, Odin and Win32codecs
Thank you all for the help. The installation went fine, but I still struggle with the video. I should like to see videos in newspapers and TV-programs from TV-stations. but it seems to be difficult.
What happens is that I often get the message that plugins are missing and I think the video normally could be displayed using either RealMedia or WindowsMedia. And those two should be a part of the wincodecs installed with Odin. So why don't I see the video.
I then can configure MediaPlayerConnectivity and point at WarpVision. Then WarpVision opens and sometimes shows some seconds of the video and then close the window. I just saw an intro from a TV-station and when the real program should be shown, the window closed. And while using WarpVision there is now sound.
Sometimes I also get the message "Error start last played file" - and thats all.
If anyone have more hints I would appriciate that.
Date: 21 Jan, 2007 on 22:15
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
8. MPlayer; WV Alternative?
http://www.os2world.com/cgi-bin/news/viewnews.cgi?category=32&id=1169255661
"MPlayer is a movie player which runs on many systems (see the documentation). It plays most MPEG/VOB, AVI, Ogg/OGM, VIVO, ASF/WMA/WMV, QT/MOV/MP4, RealMedia, Matroska, NUT, NuppelVideo, FLI, YUV4MPEG, FILM,
RoQ, PVA files, supported by many native, XAnim, and Win32 DLL codecs. You can watch VideoCD, SVCD, DVD, 3ivx, DivX 3/4/5 and even WMV movies.."

Would this be an alternative to WarpVision?

---
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2-eCS.org
Director of Communications
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
supporting the past OS/2 user and the future eCS user
http://www.os2ecs.org

Date: 21 Jan, 2007 on 22:23
ely
Normal member
in user

9. Re:Installing WarpVision, Odin and Win32codecs
It could be that Mplayer could play the videos, but the problem is that the videos I like to see must be streamed down and shown on the fly. We can't download them due to some property rules. MPlayer seems to be a program started using a command line. And then I don't know. But I have not studied it yet.

Einar Lygre

Date: 21 Jan, 2007 on 23:32
melf
Premium member
in staff

10. Re:Installing WarpVision, Odin and Win32codecs
I also have problems with streamed video as well as streamed audio, with interrupts and so on. I don't know how common that is and what it can depend on.

---
/Mikael
Date: 22 Jan, 2007 on 09:23
Installing WarpVision, Odin and Win32codecs
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: