Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Multimedia
TV-Card Support?!
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
1. TV-Card Support?!
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Anyone having suggestion for a well working TV-Card to be used under OS2 and as well optional also have the possibility of capture video?

//Kim

Date: 11 Mar, 2001 on 17:23
Martin
Team member
in admin

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/
2. Re:TV-Card Support?!
..uhm...

Maybe you can get some info at http://www.os2tv.com.

there are also some TV software for OS/2 with some information at:

http://home.t-online.de/home/stefan.milcke/stwtv_en.htm

I know that the TV-card with the 848 chip (or something like that) works under OS/2, except for the USB ones.

I know that Hauppauge had some tv-card that works under OS/2, but Im not sure about the model.

I wish someone can make work the WinTV USB under OS/2, I really like it.

..martin

Date: 11 Mar, 2001 on 22:44
pipes
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 17 Aug, 2001
3. Re:TV-Card Support?!
I have the Hauppage Win-TV PCI Tuner card (~$50) running on my OS/2 box.

Get the stuff from www.os2tv.com and follow the directions for WCast.

I have noticed that the picture is not as "clean" as my Win2K Pro partition using the same hardware... but it is good enough to watch tv.

Date: 28 Jan, 2003 on 23:11
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
4. Re:TV-Card Support?!
A short period after I posted the original posting I got myself a Hauppauge PVR-board and it works out within OS2 almost ok, except for the sound. Since it uses another sound chip than the other boards in the Hauppauge series. But, main reason for getting it was that it has an onboard mpeg2 hardware encoder. So recording hours of tv or video material doesn't take that "much" space.

/Kim

Date: 29 Jan, 2003 on 09:06
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Nov, 2002
5. Re:TV-Card Support?!
last updated at 09 Feb, 2003 01:53 (1 times)
Hi Kim,

I'm having a Hauppauge WinTV/PCI which is a quite old model - it uses a BT848 chip (newer ones are using the BT878 model). This card is supported by all programs I know for OS/2:
Those that use the Abbotsbury (os2tv.com) driver "wcast.sys" which is..:
- cinema2
- stwtv (don't know if it is still called like this; by Stefan Milcke)
Those that use a different driver:
- tvshow (the russian "os2.kiev.ua" program - which gives me "maphymem error" whenever I try to run it); according to docs my card is supported. Only the program doesn't run.
- T&V Happy Player: This is the program *I use* as it's very confortable, stable and cpu-friendly... here's the link - might give you some info about what cards are supported
http://www.os2.spb.ru/software/projects/happyplayer/index_e.html

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 09 Feb, 2003 on 01:52
Kim
Team member
in staff

6. Re:TV-Card Support?!
All above mentioned programs works fine with the Hauppauge PVR (Personal Video Reoorder) boards, except for the sounds since the board uses another chip for this. Hm... think I got an image somewhere of the board that I could post if someone has the interest to check what chip is used.

/Kim

Date: 10 Feb, 2003 on 19:24
Kim
Team member
in staff

7. Re:TV-Card Support?!
Well, here is a photo I've taken of the board:

I've also added a larger image as a ZIP file; this image will give you the chance to read the info on the board.

/Kim

Date: 10 Feb, 2003 on 20:14 Attachment: h_pvr_large.zip
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

8. Re:TV-Card Support?!

Kim (Feb 10, 2003 20:24):
All above mentioned programs works fine with the Hauppauge PVR (Personal Video Reoorder) boards, except for the sounds since the board uses another chip for this.

Kim,
that kind of surprises me... actually I thought that the "sound chip" on the tv card shouldn't matter as it is controlled by thy card itself and it should be possible to simply hook the cards line-out into the line-in of your sound card... or does the pvr provide an onboard sound chip?

Thanks for clarifying!
Thomas

Date: 11 Feb, 2003 on 10:41
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

9. Re:TV-Card Support?!
Hi Kim, one more question...:

Kim (Jan 29, 2003 10:06):
A short period after I posted the original posting I got myself a Hauppauge PVR-board and it works out within OS2 almost ok, except for the sound. Since it uses another sound chip than the other boards in the Hauppauge series. But, main reason for getting it was that it has an onboard mpeg2 hardware encoder. So recording hours of tv or video material doesn't take that "much" space.
/Kim

Hmm... so it has an onboard encoder chip. But *how* do you capture the stream on your hard disk? Is there an OS/2 program that does it?

Thanks
Thomas

Date: 11 Feb, 2003 on 10:44
Kim
Team member
in staff

10. Re:TV-Card Support?!
Well, currently I'm just using the board within OS2 to preview something on tv. For mpeg encoding and recording I have to use Windows so far since there is no apps supporting this under OS2. And I can understand why; since how many OS2 users actually have this board. I mean where is the limit if for anyone ought to make drivers or proper feature support for this board under OS2. There was a dialog in usenet actually offering a board to whom who might ought to code the proper driver and support for this board. Might be that this offer still stands if we can get enought people to sign up for this board

/Kim

Date: 11 Feb, 2003 on 10:57
Me
Normal member
in user

since: 08 Jan, 2003
11. Re:TV-Card Support?!
The WinTV PCI TV card works well under OS/2 or eCS. There are a number of TV apps available as mentioned in this discussion and most of them do a good job. The BTTV app just started working well with the latest release. That particular app is a port of the Linux BT32 project.

Here are a few things I noticed while playing with my WinTV and OS/2 Multimedia:

The MM/2 Movie Recorder app (swvr.exe) only works when doing single picture capture. It saves a BMP to the D:\MMOS2 directory when activated. If trying to record real-time, the system locks up hard.

The WarpCast video SDK available at www.os2tv.com contains actually two remote controls which work with all TV apps. One remote is called rcon.exe the other is embedded in a DLL and only accessible with the samples included in the SDK.

The SDK also contains a sample webcam app with an ftp program to upload pictures to the internet.

There is a WebCam/2 app on Hobbes that takes snapshots. It takes advantage of MMOS/2, so the app is very small.

One big drawback of all the TV apps that I tested is the rather convoluted way TV channels, input connectors and picture settings are adjusted.

I've dug into the SDK code a bit and wrote a DLL that makes all these functions available to REXX.

Anybody interested in this and other support you would like to see for WinTV, please email me at LPAInfo at att dot net

Date: 12 Feb, 2003 on 17:44
Kim
Team member
in staff

12. Re:TV-Card Support?!
last updated at 12 Feb, 2003 22:50 (1 times)

Me (Feb 12, 2003 18:44):
The WinTV PCI TV card works well under OS/2 or eCS. There are a number of TV apps available as mentioned in this discussion and most of them do a good job. The BTTV app just started working well with the latest release. That particular app is a port of the Linux BT32 project.

BBTV would be the only one I haven't tried yet, all other mentioned applications works fine with the PVR board, except for the audio part. But, I'll give it a try with BTTV and see how it works - can always hope for the best. Since there is fully support under linux for the PVR board, including the audio

/Kim

Date: 12 Feb, 2003 on 22:49
Kim
Team member
in staff

13. Re:TV-Card Support?!
last updated at 20 Feb, 2003 14:55 (1 times)
Good news is that the BBTV-drivers reports the board correct, ie WinTV PVR board. So that's fine. But, closing down BBTV on my system tends to hand or slow down the WPS and I have to use either WatchCat to kill or just plain CAD. Scanning for channels takes loooong time so got tired of waiting after it scanned to 28150.... I'll continue another day and hope for the best.

/Kim

Date: 20 Feb, 2003 on 04:37
TV-Card Support?!
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: