Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / WebSite Information / Comments, Suggestions & Questions
Linux Planet article
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Jeremy Harbinson
Send an email to this member
1. Linux Planet article
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Bit astonished by this article: I tried to install a Linux system about a year ago, and it was not a bundle of laughs. The install prog would not find the network card (a friend, with Linux experience, said the Linux distro was old, but he could fix it), and no matter how hard I tried, I never managed to get LiLo to install (which meant I needed to use the boot-floppy to start the system). Anyway, point is, Linux installers are not exactly a walk in the long grass - the help was there, but not always helpful, if you get my meaning, and things could horribly wrong. And why is that OS/2 users are always classed as somehow psycho? This is particularly irritating; it is as if, in absence of a more reasoned argument, the proposition of "they are weird buggers" is the best they (users of other OSes) can come up with. Frankly, having used OS/2, Win98 and WinNT (and tried to use Linux) for several years, I am still glad to use OS/2 on my home system. It works for me, I do not feel insane because it does. I'll just go off now and slaughter a few virgins......, back soon.
all the best,
Jeremy Harbinson
Date: 10 Aug, 2001 on 01:56
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:Linux Planet article
The article You mention is that an online version? Did it have comments on OS/2? Would be interesting to read actually. Regarding using OS/2, still.... as preferred OS/2 Is quite simple choice; I got the apps I need and more. Okey, I sometimes misses PhotoShop or other heavy graphical tools.... but how often do I use them, might be once or twice every month. Great part is that there are being released more and more nice utilities for OS/2 all the time. I feel that the OS/2 community have grown over that past 24 month, or? I hope this spirit will keep on to exist.

"Living in a virus free enviroment"

//Kim

Date: 10 Aug, 2001 on 09:14
WarpCafé
Send an email to this member
3. Re:Linux Planet article
Well, personally... somebody who chooses to boot from a disk drive which he knows does not exists and then laments about error messages can definetely be defined as "breathtakingly stupid".
You see - okay - one should not judge a book by its cover or an operating system by it's install process... but still Mr.Pwoell found some good point here:
Somebody new to eCS or OS/2 would certainly have problems with this install. There's room for improvement. Yes.
On the other hand it's up to folks like Mr. Powell to get in contact with the makers and tell them about his problems. I can't see the use of criticism on OS/2 or eCS within a *nix discussion group. Are they afraid they will lose members if eCS turns out to be of success? Man... not even "OS/2 partisans" go out and bother people with problems on win2k bugs...
I would not consider this article of any great interest otherwise. Mr. Powell obviously was kinda satisfied with the situation of not being able to install eCS, thus giving him the means and reasons to publish a "pretty bad" review.
The whole thing to me looks like a fish's review on the assembling instructions for bicycles.

Cheers.

Date: 10 Aug, 2001 on 13:48
Linux Planet article
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: