Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / WebSite Information / Comments, Suggestions & Questions
Info updates for the Final Award Poll
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
1. Info updates for the Final Award Poll
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Since of lack of time I haven't had the proper time to include all the proper information within the poll, such as author names and companies. But, this will ofcourse be posted. Some of the applications might be rather unknown for some and very know for others, so if you have any good url with more information to any of the applications; please post it here so we can update the poll with the info!

Thanks in advance!

Date: 01 Jul, 2003 on 22:22
Martin
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/
2. Re:Info updates for the Final Award Poll
Some info I got at hand

PMView author is "Peter Nielsen" - Web page www.pmview.com

DFSee Author is " Jan van Wijk" - Web page http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee.htm

Tame/2 Authors "Klaus Staedtler" and "Goran Ivankovic" - web page http://www.os2world.com/goran/tame.htm

Martin

Date: 02 Jul, 2003 on 04:07
nuke
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://dbsoft.dyndns.org
since: 03 Jul, 2003
3. Re:Info updates for the Final Award Poll
Project Everblue has been developed by a number of people from all over the world. Some of the Major contributors would be:

Antony Curtis (UK)
Sebastian Wittmeier (Germany)
and myself, Brian Smith (USA)

You may just want to list it as from Netlabs.

Thanks.

Brian

Date: 03 Jul, 2003 on 02:35
inept
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
4. Re:Info updates for the Final Award Poll
In the Annual Award nominee list you have

CDRecord/2
(Chris Wohlgemuth, Germany)

Please notice that CDRecord/2 is actively developed by Nick Lepehin <nickk@nm.ru> as a part of his famous CDRTools/2 port http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-search?key=cdrtools
He continuously compiles new versions, fixes bugs, and makes them available from hobbes (new versions come almost weekly). He spends much his efforts and time to support that ports.
At the same time, Chris Wohlgemuth makes only occasional releases.

So please add Nick Lepehin to the nominee list as well. Mention Chris Wohlgemuth alone is VERY UNFAIR.

Date: 03 Jul, 2003 on 10:40
dink
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
5. Re:Info updates for the Final Award Poll
I agree with Inept, Nick Lepehin's version of cdrecord/2 is so much better than Chris W's, and Nick is the only one actively maintaining the package.
Date: 03 Jul, 2003 on 10:47
pw
Normal member
in user

6. Re:Info updates for the Final Award Poll
Hi,

as much as I like your awards ceremony, I have to say that I find it highly questionable that you list the WarpVision project which violates the (L)GPL with their WVGUI in your nominees list!

Peter.

P.S.: For ZeroToaster::MTA should you not list Bernd Hohmann as the author?!

Date: 03 Jul, 2003 on 11:16
dink
Normal member
in user

7. Re:Info updates for the Final Award Poll
WarpVision is the best thing to happen to OS/2 in ages, it definately has my vote!!
Date: 03 Jul, 2003 on 11:42
pw
Normal member
in user

8. Re:Info updates for the Final Award Poll

dink (Jul 03, 2003 12:42):
WarpVision is the best thing to happen to OS/2 in ages, it definately has my vote!!

I didn't say that WV is bad, in fact I very much liked to use it until I discovered that they do not honor the licences of the software they built it on.
But illegitimate software should have no place in OS/2 World award nominess because that would reflect badly on the OS/2 and eCS community!

Date: 03 Jul, 2003 on 11:52
LightElf
Normal member
in user

9. Re:Info updates for the Final Award Poll
Please name GPL project, which is a part of WV...

WV based on the FFMPEG project, which is covered by LGPL.
WV authors actively contribute into FFMPEG (by sending patches and bugfixes). LGPL allow inclusion of covered code into closed-source projects, so where you found any violation?

Date: 03 Jul, 2003 on 14:28
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
10. Re:Info updates for the Final Award Poll
I did not choose the nominations. These were submitted by people who sent them in. The lists of 5 per group were taken from those that were nominated the most. There was a limit of 5 per group. If you dislike any nomination, vote for the one you do.
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2 Warp-ed to the very end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 03 Jul, 2003 on 15:15
pw
Normal member
in user

11. Re:Info updates for the Final Award Poll

LightElf (Jul 03, 2003 15:2:
Please name GPL project, which is a part of WV...

From your own webpage:

"WarpVision uses some code from many different GPL projects, including mplayer (libmpdemux, mp3lib), ffmpeg (extremely fast DivX/MPEG), xine (some stuff for gamma correction), liba52, mpeg2dec (libmpeg2) and Andy Zabolotny's libraries (libdart and libdive)."

Date: 03 Jul, 2003 on 15:27
dink
Normal member
in user

12. Re:Info updates for the Final Award Poll
dear troll, .. I mean, pw:
the wvcli sources (wvgui is this + pm controls) are available via cvs (see http://os2.kiev.ua).
Date: 03 Jul, 2003 on 18:38
pw
Normal member
in user

13. Re:Info updates for the Final Award Poll
Yes dink, I know that _you_ do not care for licenses...

I don't see any mention of the CVS on the webpage, but I knew this and even have successfully compiled WVCLI from those sources.

But WVGUI is still illegitimately using GPL material by not opening the source. And if WVGUI only contains LGPL sources they still have to distribute the diffs to those sources and the LGPL license as a minimum _with WVGUI_.

Date: 03 Jul, 2003 on 19:33
vladest
Normal member
in user

since: 04 Jul, 2003
14. Re:Info updates for the Final Award Poll
.are you usually uses licenses or software? it is software nominants, not licenses
And secondarym wvgui is still uses buggiest gpl thing in wjole world - demuxer from mpl. And I will remove it from wv ASAP
Date: 04 Jul, 2003 on 13:09
pw
Normal member
in user

15. Re:Info updates for the Final Award Poll

vladest (Jul 04, 2003 14:09):
.are you usually uses licenses or software? it is software nominants, not licenses

Vlad, I do not mean that you do not deserve to win because your programs are bad. You have done great work with your own programming (porting and combining the various open source projects) as far as I can assess that!
I just say that by allowing your project to be nominated (even worse if it wins) the OS/2 community outs itself to be a bunch of unlawful people. And I do not like that at all!

But I guess we should take further discussion about your licenses somewhere else, to http://www.os2world.com/cgi-bin/ultraboard/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Headlines&BID=20&SID=57252 or comp.os.os2.apps perhaps?

Date: 04 Jul, 2003 on 15:50
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
16. Re:Info updates for the Final Award Poll
Thanks for continuing the discussion within a new thread!

/Kim

Date: 04 Jul, 2003 on 19:22
Kim
Team member
in staff

17. Re:Info updates for the Final Award Poll

nuke (Jul 03, 2003 03:35):
Project Everblue has been developed by a number of people from all over the world. Some of the Major contributors would be:

Antony Curtis (UK)
Sebastian Wittmeier (Germany)
and myself, Brian Smith (USA)

You may just want to list it as from Netlabs.

Thanks.

Brian

Poll is updated with above names.

Thanks!

/Kim

Date: 04 Jul, 2003 on 20:17
Kim
Team member
in staff

18. Re:Info updates for the Final Award Poll

[b]P.S.: For ZeroToaster::MTA should you not list Bernd Hohmann as the author?!

I've only listed the companies within that category. That that would be enought, but we can get all the names of the coder/authors that would be fine with me to update the poll with full name/s.

/Kim

Date: 04 Jul, 2003 on 20:21
pw
Normal member
in user

19. Re:Info updates for the Final Award Poll

Kim (Jul 04, 2003 21:21):
I've only listed the companies within that category. That that would be enought, but we can get all the names of the coder/authors that would be fine with me to update the poll with full name/s.

That's OK with me and if Bernd does not complain. Otherwise the page will perhaps be a bit overloaded...

Date: 04 Jul, 2003 on 21:34
Info updates for the Final Award Poll
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: