Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / WebSite Information / Comments, Suggestions & Questions
Improve the site?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Rob
Send an email to this member
1. Improve the site?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Somehow we got off on how you want to improve
your site. I take it you are the webmaster(s)? Ok...

The background is too distracting for my personal
tastes. As I say, I like easy-to-read sites. I'm really
against web site ads and advertising. It is too distracting,
wastes web page space, and most importantly, any news
items or reports offered can never be believed as not
being paid for by vendors. I don't know if the ads on
your pages are paid ads or if you just put them up as
a courtousy but if the vendors are paying a fee then
*and this is just my personal opinion* I can't believe
anything you say in your news items or other 'articles'.

I also like to print web pages and when they are
overdone or bogged down in do-dads, stripping,
an abundance of graphics then it takes too long
in the printer. I imagine you guys are trying to fit
as much as you can on your main page to lure your
visitors in so you try to make it like some of our
American magazines that load up the covers with
just about everything you can think of. The idea
is "Open us up! Turn our pages!" but it turns me off
right away. A nice classic cover or front page shows
style and class and it is that desire to please my eye
that keeps me at a particular site.

As for loading - I don't connect to the 'Net any slower
than 50,666k and I keep one OS/2 web site as my 'home
page' so it comes up first. I'm not a 'Net lurker who
likes to wander around from site to site and I do so
when a site loads quickly, has something new as often
as news permits, and doesn't assault my eyes upon
visiting.

I certainly hope you aren't offended by my remarks.
They are nothing more then my personal opinion and
I may not be your average 'Net visitor so please take
my criticisms with agrain of salt.

Rob

Date: 31 Jan, 2001 on 09:49
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:Improve the site?
Once again, no offend taken at all! I asked for feedback and usually negativ feedback is better than positiv (well, that usually also are welcome since that usually can be solved. And yes, you could say that I'm the webmaster and system admin of the server as well.

First of all non of the banners are paid for to show up on the site. Its just a matter of that they have sponsored the site with either for 1) prizes to event such as the OS Award 2) or given us hardware to secure up the site a bit more 3) software to be used to keep the site up and develop it. I'm not a big fan of having bunch of adds on site either. Currently I don't think it can be that much less. And nothing more will be added either. Also if you look all the adverts IS related to companies that have OS2 products. This also our hope of promoting companies.

Yeah, I agree the colour choosen isn't the best one and You're not the only one to pointen that out. But, since i'm, currently the only one handling the html work with this site. I have a limit of how much changes I can handle. Still, if I change the bcolor I have to change it global in entire script used etc. That will first be done when the new layout is ready. Here it would be of interest if people have suggestion of how they want to have the information presented.

But, as said before the entire site will be redone when I get the time if any other would like to help out; that would be great then. But, currently I'm doing couple of other sites so OS2 World.Com is not the only so called community site that i'm working...

How much information can there be squezed into single spoot? Well, lots or nothing at all?! Around 6 month ago most of the information was hidden behind menu and you had to click your around to get to what you looked for. Well, I'm one of thoose who just hate to click around on a site to get where I want to. Thats first of one of the reason why the most information is prestented as it is currently. Also I got a number of e-mails requesting to move some of the informaiton to the main page. That was done together with my own values of how to set up the site.

So there are two values here either you want as much on the front page as you can have or you hide the most and show up a clean page.

So to all I would welcome all ideas of colours to be used and how the layout should look like. Post some urls in here that can viewed that would be great.

And sure agree that current colour is bad.... I rather tired of it myself!

Also, if you have the interest of just being part of the internal staff chat and working with the site. You are most welcome! This would not mean that You will be forced to hack shit loads of html/php/perl or what ever. But, just being able to ask around and get some feedback would help me and the other involved with the site.

//Kim

Date: 31 Jan, 2001 on 11:06
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
3. Re:Improve the site?
last updated at 31 Jan, 2001 11:17 (1 times)
More ideas, please! Open question to You all. Reading a post is okey and posting an answer is even better!
Date: 31 Jan, 2001 on 11:06
Jeroen
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://besse.nl/
since: 31 Jan, 2001
4. Re:Improve the site?
Quoting Kim: "only the some few US users who finds the site a bit slow to load or does that also include european users?"

Well, I'd say it is very slow. Main page takes 12 seconds. For instance os2.org takes only 4...!

People really leave, when things are taking sooo long!

For your info: I am using a modem (56k), and this happens in Europe. Of course using NS461 under OS/2.

Date: 24 Feb, 2001 on 02:03
kimh
Send an email to this member
5. Re:Improve the site?
Yepp! 12 secs is to slow! For me it takes around 5 secs to get the main page. Okey, I'll starting to optimize the existing code as well.

//Kim

Date: 24 Feb, 2001 on 11:14
Improve the site?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: