Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / WebSite Information / Comments, Suggestions & Questions
CDRecord Modifies License; Mini-editorial on the issue
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
1. CDRecord Modifies License; Mini-editorial on the issue
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Post your comments and questions about this article !!!

Check the article here.

Date: 23 Aug, 2004 on 22:06
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Nov, 2002
2. Re:CDRecord Modifies License; Mini-editorial on the issue
last updated at 24 Aug, 2004 09:30 (1 times)
Hi,

I'm just returning from osnews and as far as I have understood, Jörg Schillings change in licensing will not quite affect the OS/2 port:
"Basically, the author of cdrecord modified its license to not allow modifications of his code by distros without doing so in cooperation with the author. "
This affects the linux distros - but on OS/2, we're having a *port* and I guess this makes a difference somehow, because it's the port authors who are responsible for dealing with user requests resulting from theit ports - and the port users in general know about it... whereas the linux distros like SuSE "simply" patch the stuff but users will refer to Jörg Schilling if something's wrong and THIS is what upsets him (dealing with troubles caused by the patches of others).
Anyway - I think Chris Wohlgemuth might be the person in question to ask if the licensing change will affect OS/2 ports, because he's the man who does the port AFAIK...

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 24 Aug, 2004 on 09:27
Sebadoh
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.newterrasoftware.com
since: 10 Apr, 2001
3. Re:CDRecord Modifies License; Mini-editorial on the issue
Acutally I'm using the nickk port because chris's has some issues with my drive, actually I think alot of people are using the nickk port which dispite Chris's claims works very well with his cdrecord classes.. with the exception of his clases being written in VX-Rexx and can't keep up with the speed of my drive sometimes.. lol.. god. wish they were in C.
Date: 27 Aug, 2004 on 17:52
devnul
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 04 Jul, 2003
4. Re:CDRecord Modifies License; Mini-editorial on the issue

Sebadoh (27 Aug, 2004 17:52):
Chris's claims works very well with his cdrecord classes.. with the exception of his clases being written in VX-Rexx and can't keep up with the speed of my drive sometimes.. lol.. god. wish they were in C.

Are they written in VX-ReXX ?

Oh my god, stupid little me always believed he used IBM's Visual Age C compiler for the Classes itself, EMX/GCC for some exe's and Dr.Dialog/ReXX for some cmd's.

Date: 27 Aug, 2004 on 18:19
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

since: 26 Nov, 2002
5. Re:CDRecord Modifies License; Mini-editorial on the issue
Hi folks,

now, this is a very cute and funny story, because it means that Chris suffers from the same "porblems" that Jörg Schilling is trying to get rid of by changing his license:
Chris takes no resposability for any problems that might result from using "other" os/2-ports than the ones he has built his interface around.

I tried both Chris and nickks "versions" of the tools but couldn't find any difference up to now. This might change as I have a new DVD mutliformat writer and a (quite) fast new CDRW writer... but again - up to now (knocking-on-wood) there were no problems with Chris's tools.

But - If ever I need to change the executables behind the GUI, do I need to take care of special arguments/parameters/commands/switches if using nickks ports?

TIA
Thomas

Date: 27 Aug, 2004 on 19:23
devnul
Normal member
in user

since: 04 Jul, 2003
6. Re:CDRecord Modifies License; Mini-editorial on the issue

warpcafe (27 Aug, 2004 19:23):
But - If ever I need to change the executables behind the GUI, do I need to take care of special arguments/parameters/commands/switches if using nickks ports?

Guess why Chris doesn't recommend usage of others than his port(s). Simply exchange cdrdao againts newest (1.1.8) and try to make an DAO audio disk or do a 1:1 copy ... and what about graft-points and other enabled by default switches in the so called enhanced ports. Changing default (well documented) behaviour to something the developer believes is more suitable is one of the best ways to produce incompatibility.

Date: 27 Aug, 2004 on 19:55
CDRecord Modifies License; Mini-editorial on the issue
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: