Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / WebSite Information / Comments, Suggestions & Questions
It's Contest Time!
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
1. It's Contest Time!
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
last updated at 28 Feb, 2001 09:57 (3 times)
Great contest is alway appreciated by the most people, or? So we gave a lot of thoughts what sort of contest that we could set up to attract as many OS/2 users as possible and still make it a challenging. So what did we manage to come up with? Well, nothing... nada! So here is the first competitions and a chance of winning a copy Warp Server for e-Business: Come up with coolest suggestion for a competition to be held at OS2 World.Com!

Update! Just a few updates based on some feedback via e-mail:

1) Yes, the winner will get a copy of WSFeB.

2) This contest will run to the end of the March to give as many people as possible a fair chance to participate.

3) Is there a price for the one who has the highest number of posting in this forum? Tempting.... but no!

4) Why is the price not a copy of eCS? Well, since we don't have that currently it would be hard to give away a copy of eCS. Sorry!

//Kim

Date: 26 Feb, 2001 on 21:20
Swanee
Send an email to this member
2. Re:It's Contest Time!
I'd love to see a well written, thought out and researched article on the effect MS marketing and deals undercut the marketing of OS/2. It should be fact based but where there is smoke we could allow a touch of speculation.

We all have bits and pieces of information but one authoritative document would be something informative for us and at the same time it could document the OS/2 legacy.

It would be a pretty good sized job and maybe far fetched but I am willing to add to the prize fund for this.

Maybe an initial winner can have the WSeB and the most informative non-winner can pick up a little something from us while adding information to the final product.

Date: 27 Feb, 2001 on 00:41
ynot3k
3. Re:It's Contest Time!
Category: Technical:: first OS/2 programmer to provide a driver for a PCMCIA interfaced RW-CDROM.

Category: Artistic:(2 prizes): voted most attractive, and funniest, OS/2 captured desktops, with background image, arrangement of icons, folders, etc; with OS/2 desktop only or OS/2 desktop with PC and background.

Category: Hot OS/2 tools:: Simplest and most elegant small
electronics CAD schematics system for hobbyists, where parts are stored in a simple text form or edited easily from REXX.

Category: Acrobatics:: the one
line of APL2 OS/2 code that
produces the same results as a program coded in an other language, and that would replace
the highest number of lines needed in that other language.

Date: 27 Feb, 2001 on 02:49
ShyGuy
4. Re:It's Contest Time!
heh, Changeling instead of Challenging. Changeling was the green guy in the Teen Titans comic book.

But seriously, how about something like most unique use of OS/2? you know stuff like making an os/2 mp3 player for your car, or using OS/2 to automate your breakfast making robots or something?

Date: 27 Feb, 2001 on 08:12
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
5. Re:It's Contest Time!
Ups, okey a type... taken care of... very bad typo also

//Kim

Date: 27 Feb, 2001 on 13:40
Kresa
6. Re:It's Contest Time!
What about finding out how to solve OS/2's future...

I mean there has to be a way....Please...

Date: 27 Feb, 2001 on 20:50
lcatinaud
7. Re:It's Contest Time!
Hi all...

Some other ideas :
- The best OS/2 font
- The best port of a DVD player (a port of videolan ? go to www.videolan.org...if it exists on linux and be, why not on OS/2 ??)
- The best Xworkplace widget
- The best OS/2 generic icon collection (for OS/2, info, Programs, etc...)
- The best port of a windows app/game with odin
- The best port on a linux app (hehe... under the OS/2 PM...)
- The best OS/2 game
- The most complete .dat file in order to install DOS parameters for applications
- The ugliest and most unuseful OS/2 app
- The most original instalation of os/2 (ie : port on a PDA, on a car cd player, on a washing machine, on a coffe machine, on a vacuum cleaner, or whatever you want...)

Date: 28 Feb, 2001 on 09:36
Kancept
8. Re:It's Contest Time!
Hows about a well written document on the various versions of OS/2? I came back to OS/2 and we had Warp 4 Warp 4 server, server advanced, advanced SMP, WSeB. I was thrown way off. Warp 4 server is actually Warp 3 plus LAN server 4? C'mon! A nice document for a newbie or one just wondering would be great. A feature list, kernel base (warp3, warp 4, etc.), highs, lows, compatibility, fixpacks, fixpak pitfalls, etc. And nice big comparison chart...yeah. That's the ticket.
Date: 01 Mar, 2001 on 18:03
OS2Sam
9. Re:It's Contest Time!
How about a contest for the artistic types.

1. eCS looks like it needs some nice wall paper.
2. An eCS specific sound scheme.
3. New set of eCS Icons.

Thanks,
Sam

Date: 03 Mar, 2001 on 16:10
Richard
10. Re:It's Contest Time!
1. I really liked the "Object Viewer" concept in Object Desktop.
Could someone come up with a Netscape plug-in to view the contents of any type of file without having the associated app?

2. Another thing I'd like to see is an Internet enabled update advisor that would tell you when there is a fix or update available for the OS, installed apps and device drivers and give an indication of how other users have rated the new version.

3. My wife seems to think that there should be a utility to shut down the pc at dinnertime.

Date: 04 Mar, 2001 on 15:05
Computer Nut
11. Re:It's Contest Time!
Have a contest for most interesting/innovative use of OS/2.

This will show OS/2 users and non-users what the OS is capable of and will encourage people to try using OS/2 in ways not thought of before.

A slightly different twist on this would be a contest to find the interesting/innovative/unknown use of OS/2 that is currently in production. Such as finding out that the local television station uses it for teleprompting or that a grocery store chain uses it for their cash registers. It would neat to find out all the places OS/2 is used but no one knows it because it never breaks. People are amazed when I tell them that most Interac/ATM machines use OS/2.

Thats my 2cents.

Date: 04 Mar, 2001 on 18:31
Jeroen
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://besse.nl/
since: 31 Jan, 2001
12. Re:It's Contest Time!
OS/2 Multimedia needs some updates, who can write the best port of codecs and the like, so we can play all media that can be played with the Windows Media Player?
Date: 05 Mar, 2001 on 11:45
Christian Hennecke
Premium member
in spoc

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/os2files/
since: 27 Jan, 2001
13. Re:It's Contest Time!

lcatinaud (28 Feb, 2001 09:36):

- The most original instalation of os/2 (ie : port on a PDA, on a car cd player, on a washing machine, on a coffe machine, on a vacuum cleaner, or whatever you want...)

Rumour has it that the US Army uses OS/2 in Tomahawk missiles. You know, something like this: "General, by using FP#15 with the kernel postfix w40223 we were able to increase targeting accuracy by 10%." Scary.

Date: 06 Mar, 2001 on 15:23
Christian Hennecke
Premium member
in spoc

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/os2files/
since: 27 Jan, 2001
14. Re:It's Contest Time!
Hi Kim!

What about a contest for people on the comp.os.os2.* groups? The winner is the person who is able to keep him/herself from engaging in flame wars the longest. Maybe this would help to reduce the noise there.

Otherwise I can think of contests for the following:

- New audio or video codecs as plug-ins for MMOS2, so every MMOS2 application can use them (this IS doable for audio, too).
- A GUI IDE for gcc, maybe with kind of a Visual Builder (a *really* large project, but with a nice side effect).
- Convincing ISVs to release their abandoned packages for free or even as OpenSource (the winner is who is able to get us the best or most needed application).
- The best new contribution to XWorkplace (like code for XWorkplace to implement the functionality of Object Desktop's archive viewers).

Date: 06 Mar, 2001 on 15:55
lcatinaud
15. Re:It's Contest Time!
Well... Another idea :

I'm tired with all these dos applications that I can't launch from PM. There's no way to make all dos apps work (especially games...) if OS/2 is installed on a HPFS partition (and who does find advantages to install it on a FAT drive ?).
So there may be a price for people developing the best tool to launch ANY dos app with os/2 PM (could be a fast bochs/2... Well I don't know if this program works, last time I tried it, I felt asleep before the dos could boot... But it also could be a tool allowing to hibernate on a HPFS installation... Any other idea welcome !)

Laurent

Date: 07 Mar, 2001 on 17:55
LanJan
16. Re:It's Contest Time!
Hi there.
Good Idea.

One of the proposals I saw, regardet eComStation!
I think I would go for that too.
1. eCS Logo
2. eCS Sound theme
3. eCS Icons
4. eCS (WPS) theme
and finally
a SMASHING way to market this product. (hehe)

Greetings from Norway
Jan Magne

Date: 19 Mar, 2001 on 10:15
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
17. Re:It's Contest Time!
How about a contest on ways to promote OS/2? Promote it to computer magazines. Promote it to computer manufactureres. On ways to promote it so it will continue and increase in the future.
Date: 27 Mar, 2001 on 17:51
Brian
18. Re:It's Contest Time!
How about a prize for the funniest "Great Escape" story of how people escaped from the land of the monopoly to OS/2. Some of the things that I lived through in the last decade seem pretty ridiculous now that I am free and safe using only OS/2 for everything.
Date: 30 Mar, 2001 on 00:29
laurent
19. Re:It's Contest Time!
Hi, it's me again...

What about a mascot for Ecomstation ?

Date: 30 Mar, 2001 on 23:39
Fr.Ed
20. Re:It's Contest Time!
I'd like to suggest a contest to implement smooth scrolling
so that it's a part of the OS, rather than
isolated programs or games. The criteria could
be not only how well it scrolls, but also
on the largest number of screen modes or video
cards, or the least amount of memory that it
can run on.
Date: 31 Mar, 2001 on 18:04
It's Contest Time!
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 2 | Next >
Go to: