Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / WebSite Information / Comments, Suggestions & Questions
OS2 World Poll: Do you need software for backup?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Isaac
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.novus-tele.net/~isaacl
since: 23 Jan, 2004
21. Re:OS2 World Poll: Do you need software for backup?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
last updated at 27 Sep, 2006 09:16 (1 times)
You need backup, but you don't need backup software anymore.
Here's what I mean:

I did a quick search on the web

Tape vs HardDrive
Cost: 40GB Sony $20 vs 80GB $40 (Newegg)
Backup: Special software vs xcopy or DFSee to image the whole drive
Restore: Special software vs xcopy or just physically replace drive
Limitations: 2GB file, EA? vs none (same filesystem limits as your system)

For most people, I don't see much advantage to anything other than a straight copy. (CD-R, too small, DVD-R still not big enough).

Buy a drive, image your whole system over with DFSee or whatever. Go keep it in a vault somewhere. Buy a 2nd drive for local backup, it's about the same cost as your tapes (and you didn't have to buy a tape drive or get drivers for it).
For recovery, for system drive is dead simple, just plug the new drive in, so this is much faster than any tape. For data recover, just use regular xcopy/copy. I'll bet ATA-6/SATA or even USB 2.0 aren't exactly slouches. (It sure doesn't take me that long to image my entire 40GB drive from a notebook).

I'm pretty sure the company I work for doesn't even use tape backups any more (they were giving away the old tapes...). We just have stacks of hard drives.

Date: 27 Sep, 2006 on 09:14
Mike Forester
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Sep, 2006
22. Re:OS2 World Poll: Do you need software for backup?

Isaac (27 Sep, 2006 09:16):
I'll bet ATA-6/SATA or even USB 2.0 aren't exactly slouches. (It sure doesn't take me that long to image my entire 40GB drive from a notebook).

That may be fine for you, Isaac, but I have a bit more than 40GB to worry about.

---
Mike Forester <forester {at} panix {dot} com>
---------------------------------------------
-> Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Date: 27 Sep, 2006 on 22:51
Smedles
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://smedley.info/os2ports.html
since: 12 Jul, 2003
23. Re:OS2 World Poll: Do you need software for backup?
Hi,

Fahrvenugen (26 Sep, 2006 16:15):

Smedles (26 Sep, 2006 05:33):

The current build of Perl for OS/2 uses EMX - so it will definitely have a problem with files > 2gb.....

Forgive me for not being as familiar with compilers as I'd like to be, so this question may seem out of place to anyone 'in the know', but... would the difficulty with files > 2 GB still exist if perl was built with the newer GCC 3.3.5 / Libc0.6.1 instead of EMX?

No - however Perl contains lots of EMX specific hacks, and I also believe it needs better select() functionality than we currently have in libc. Full select() support is scheduled for libc 0.7 AFAIK and will help with LOTS of apps.

Cheers,

Paul.

Date: 28 Sep, 2006 on 05:24
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 10 Aug, 2004
24. Re:OS2 World Poll: Do you need software for backup?
Thanks for the info Paul!
Date: 28 Sep, 2006 on 17:29
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
25. Re:OS2 World Poll: Do you need software for backup?
last updated at 28 Sep, 2006 20:42 (2 times)

Mike Forester (26 Sep, 2006 02:21):
  • PC-BaX v3.20 -- This is the one I use, although overall its design is poor. With tweaks to the config it can operate an AIT drive at full speed. It can also mangle its own tape metadata, though I've learned how to repair that. Uses 1K block size.
  • When it comes to PC-Bax, as far as I understand, there isn't any limit on how large the volumes are; the only limit itself is that it can't handle files (single file that it process) larger than 3GB. So as far from reading around here I think PC-Bax is then the best software available for OS2, still available, but with limited support. But, it works and works well.

Also, what is really interesting with PC-Bax, is that it's plugin based for new features.

Date: 28 Sep, 2006 on 20:39
    Isaac
    Normal member
    in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.novus-tele.net/~isaacl
    since: 23 Jan, 2004
    26. Re:OS2 World Poll: Do you need software for backup?
    last updated at 29 Sep, 2006 09:07 (2 times)

Mike Forester (27 Sep, 2006 22:51):

Isaac (27 Sep, 2006 09:16):
    I'll bet ATA-6/SATA or even USB 2.0 aren't exactly slouches. (It sure doesn't take me that long to image my entire 40GB drive from a notebook).

That may be fine for you, Isaac, but I have a bit more than 40GB to worry about.

That was just an example. The more you have to backup, the more it swings in hard drive favour. I just picked that because somebody mentioned a specific model of Sony tape drives and associated media. I know tapes aren't that cheap, not on the level of CD-R, that's for sure! (Just check out tapeonline.com, they all hover around the $20/40GB mark).

Do you maybe have 1TB worth of stuff? How many tapes will that be? At 40GB each? That's 25 tapes at $20 or about $500. (Yes, I know you can do compression, but you can do the same for hard drive, so let's compare raw data capacity).

You can get a 500GB drive for less than $200, 2 of them will be much less than the tapes. I saw $161 at NewEgg or only $322 for 1 TB worth of backup. If you need multiple backups, the gap only grows. The best I saw for tape was a 500GB SAIT tape for ~$200 (and that's not including the cost of your tape drive).

Best thing is, drives can be one-for-one. No matter how big a drive you have to backup, there has to be another drive you can get that's exactly that size.

Speedwise, the drives are going to be hard to beat, because the tape drive is going to use similar interfaces, and that's not counting you having to be there to swap tapes (unless you fork out more $$$ for some auto tape-loader).

Date: 29 Sep, 2006 on 08:59
    obiwan
    Normal member
    in user

since: 30 Aug, 2006
    27. Re:OS2 World Poll: Do you need software for backup?
    AIX has a cool utility that creates a bootable DVD that will do an automatic restore of your whole system - spanning multiple DVD's as needed. I wonder if this was ever ported to Warp Server?

Even if not, from the other comments on this thread it would seem such a utility could be assembled from DFSee and BootAble, with a simple user interface.

Date: 29 Sep, 2006 on 09:57
    Smedles
    Premium member
    in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://smedley.info/os2ports.html
    28. Re:OS2 World Poll: Do you need software for backup?

Smedles (28 Sep, 2006 05:24):
    Hi,

The current build of Perl for OS/2 uses EMX - so it will definitely have a problem with files > 2gb.....

Forgive me for not being as familiar with compilers as I'd like to be, so this question may seem out of place to anyone 'in the know', but... would the difficulty with files > 2 GB still exist if perl was built with the newer GCC 3.3.5 / Libc0.6.1 instead of EMX?

No - however Perl contains lots of EMX specific hacks, and I also believe it needs better select() functionality than we currently have in libc. Full select() support is scheduled for libc 0.7 AFAIK and will help with LOTS of apps.

OK I have Perl 5.8.8 mostly built here with libc - of course built doesn't necessarily mean it will work. Will post more on this topic in the next day or so when I've had time to test/debug.

Date: 30 Sep, 2006 on 04:32
    Smedles
    Premium member
    in user

29. Re:OS2 World Poll: Do you need software for backup?

Smedles (30 Sep, 2006 04:32):

Hi,

OK I have Perl 5.8.8 mostly built here with libc - of course built doesn't necessarily mean it will work. Will post more on this topic in the next day or so when I've had time to test/debug.

OK I got Perl 5.8.8 built with libc....

Initial results of 'make test' are:
    Failed 31 test scripts out of 919, 96.63% okay.

Not sure how this compares to an EMX built Perl...

Still testing locally before I package up a release - but files >2gb should be supported.....

Cheers,

Paul.

Date: 30 Sep, 2006 on 17:08
    Smedles
    Premium member
    in user

30. Re:OS2 World Poll: Do you need software for backup?

Smedles (30 Sep, 2006 17:0:

Smedles (30 Sep, 2006 04:32):

Hi,

OK I got Perl 5.8.8 built with libc....

Initial results of 'make test' are:
    Failed 31 test scripts out of 919, 96.63% okay.

Not sure how this compares to an EMX built Perl...

Still testing locally before I package up a release - but files >2gb should be supported.....

Initial build is uploading now to http://download.smedley.info/perl-5.8.8-os2-r1.zip if anyone is interested in testing.

1/10/06 19:13 9,235,343 0 a--- perl-5.8.8-os2-r1.zip

Date: 01 Oct, 2006 on 11:45
    OS2 World Poll: Do you need software for backup?
    Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
    All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 2 | Next >
    Go to: