Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Networking
Network Card
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
craigm
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 03 Jul, 2003
1. Network Card
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I have a 3Com card in my computer at the moment and no matter what I do eCS will not work with it. Anyone have some none 3Com network card suggestions? I would like a nice Network card so I can use road runner and be as easy as posibble.

Thanks

Date: 03 Jul, 2003 on 20:53
Jan
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 01 Jul, 2003
2. Re:Network Card
Hi,

unfortunately you did not mention which 3Com-NIC you are using. But
the solution is very easy - just go to their (3Com) Website and look after their
driver support. Even when OS/2 is not listed under the supported systems
there are appropriate drivers for almost all their cards (NDIS2).

Hope that helps ...

Jan

Date: 04 Jul, 2003 on 01:39
craigm
Normal member
in user

3. Re:Network Card
Ok I'll look into that today...

Anyone have a different brand they recommend...would like it PCI and 10/100. Besides that would like it not the most expensive card in the world...I just want something simple and fast to get up on the next....my eCS machine will be my primary web surfing machine

Date: 14 Jul, 2003 on 15:55
dink
Premium member
in user

4. Re:Network Card
Don't get a new card just yet, the 3com NIC's seem to work really good with OS/2, but the default drivers for my card (3c905b) that come with OS/2 don't work, the updates from www.3com.com will fix the problem though.
If your card really is defective, I'd recommend getting a LinkSys LNE100tx which are available at pretty much any computer shop for around $20usd
Date: 15 Jul, 2003 on 01:49
WarpCraft
Normal member
in user

since: 15 Jul, 2003
5. Re:Network Card
Why not just try the following:

The Network Interface Card Pak (NICPak) has been updated (7/11/2003). This is a collection of various NIC drivers and a tool for detecting and installing them.

http://pws.prserv.net/mckinnis/nicpak/

Also, the cheapest reliable NIC's are usually those based on the Realtek chipsets. I have seen them selling for $5 each, or less!!!

Date: 15 Jul, 2003 on 06:35
eCSNL
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/rwklein
since: 03 Dec, 2002
6. Re:Network Card

craigm (Jul 03, 2003 21:53):
I have a 3Com card in my computer at the moment and no matter what I do eCS will not work with it. Anyone have some none 3Com network card suggestions? I would like a nice Network card so I can use road runner and be as easy as posibble.

Thanks

What network card ar you using and which version of eCS ?

Date: 15 Jul, 2003 on 13:59
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
7. Re:Network Card
There is a list of network cards that are compatible with OS/2-eCS at http://www.os2warp.be (OS/2-eCS hardware compatible list site).
BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2 Warp-ed to the very end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 16 Jul, 2003 on 18:18
craigm
Normal member
in user

8. Re:Network Card
Ok...sorry it's taken so long to get with you all again...this is really getting to me since I want this machine to be my main machine for anything I can do with windows.

I have two problems now...

I still have a problem with my network card and now my new sound card is not working.

I will explain it as in depth as I can.

My computer:

Pent 3 1.0 Ghz
Motherboard is Asus CUV4X-D revision 1016
640 ram
AGP: Matrox G400 MAX
PCI 1 (top PCI slot): 3Com Etherlink XL 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C905B-TX)
PCI 2 (under PCI 1): Promise Card (IDE Controller)
PCI 3 : Monster Card (3DFX) 8 meg card
PCI 4 : Monster Card (3DFX) 8 meg card (the two are linked together)
PCI 5 : Hercules Fortissiom III (read it works with OS/2 in OS/2 Ezine...but its not working at all with the recommend drivers)

Ok...the story of what I have done and doing to it.

Everything works on eCS 1.1 except two things...the sound card...and the network card. I have tried removing everything except the network card (left the G400 in of course) and the same with the sound card. Both still don’t work. So I know they are not conflicting. I have made sure to have the newest drivers for the sound card (The Crystal OS/2 v3.11) and the 3Com from their site. Still nothing is working.

I got mad and decided to put all the hardware back in the computer and install XP.

EVERYTHING WORKED...grrrrrr

I know the hardware works so now its an ECS problem.

When I just install the sound card and install the drivers, it installs fine from what I see. It asks me to reboot and I get no sound. I've done this a few times and nothing. I wanted this sound card since it supports win 3.1 and dos...sigh.

The 3Com is a bigger problem. I install it on install and it finds the card fine. After it reboots though I get two errors:

Error one that config gets an error on:

Try using slotenable driver keyword in protocol.ini

Error two:

That it cannot find file C:\ibmcom\macs\el90x.os2

I'm not sure what the first error is about, but I know for a fact the newest el90x.os2 is installed on my computer and I have looked in that file.

So, any ideas guys...your my last hope before I have to give up on eCS and I really, really don’t want that.

Craig

Date: 03 Aug, 2003 on 16:12
craigm
Normal member
in user

9. Re:Network Card
Ok...sorry it's taken so long to get with you all again...this is really getting to me since I want this machine to be my main machine for anything I can do with windows.

I have two problems now...

I still have a problem with my network card and now my new sound card is not working.

I will explain it as in depth as I can.

My computer:

Pent 3 1.0 Ghz
Motherboard is Asus CUV4X-D revision 1016
640 ram
AGP: Matrox G400 MAX
PCI 1 (top PCI slot): 3Com Etherlink XL 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C905B-TX)
PCI 2 (under PCI 1): Promise Card (IDE Controller)
PCI 3 : Monster Card (3DFX) 8 meg card
PCI 4 : Monster Card (3DFX) 8 meg card (the two are linked together)
PCI 5 : Hercules Fortissiom III (read it works with OS/2 in OS/2 Ezine...but its not working at all with the recommend drivers)

Ok...the story of what I have done and doing to it.

Everything works on eCS 1.1 except two things...the sound card...and the network card. I have tried removing everything except the network card (left the G400 in of course) and the same with the sound card. Both still don’t work. So I know they are not conflicting. I have made sure to have the newest drivers for the sound card (The Crystal OS/2 v3.11) and the 3Com from their site. Still nothing is working.

I got mad and decided to put all the hardware back in the computer and install XP.

EVERYTHING WORKED...grrrrrr

I know the hardware works so now its an ECS problem.

When I just install the sound card and install the drivers, it installs fine from what I see. It asks me to reboot and I get no sound. I've done this a few times and nothing. I wanted this sound card since it supports win 3.1 and dos...sigh.

The 3Com is a bigger problem. I install it on install and it finds the card fine. After it reboots though I get two errors:

Error one that config gets an error on:

Try using slotenable driver keyword in protocol.ini

Error two:

That it cannot find file C:\ibmcom\macs\el90x.os2

I'm not sure what the first error is about, but I know for a fact the newest el90x.os2 is installed on my computer and I have looked in that file.

So, any ideas guys...your my last hope before I have to give up on eCS and I really, really don’t want that.

Craig

Date: 03 Aug, 2003 on 16:13
craigm
Normal member
in user

10. Re:Network Card
sorry for second post
Date: 03 Aug, 2003 on 16:16
Network Card
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: