Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Networking
LAN 3COM 920 in Dell Latitude
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
vico
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.manchegox.org
since: 07 Aug, 2003
1. LAN 3COM 920 in Dell Latitude
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hello!

I have a Notebook Dell Latitude with Lan integrated 3COM 920. Where is the driver for OS/2?

In SuSE Linux load the driver (lsmod) 3c59x...

Thank You!

Date: 07 Aug, 2003 on 19:19
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
2. Re:LAN 3COM 920 in Dell Latitude
http://www7.software.ibm.com/2bcprod.nsf/WebCat?OpenView
Have you checked the IBM OS/2 online driver pak?

http://www.os2warp.be
Have you checked the OS/2 hardware compatibility list?
(IIRC - they are adding a notebook section [they need
feedback on notebook computers and OS/2]).

http://www.os2world.com/drmartinus/notebook2 site
(IIRC on the URL) Have you checked here (it has not
been updated for awhile but still good for older note-
bookcomputers - of which I have three, bought cheap).

BigWarpGuy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS/2 Warp-ed to the very end.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Date: 07 Aug, 2003 on 19:42
Michaelhz
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 09 Aug, 2003
3. Re:LAN 3COM 920 in Dell Latitude
.. as far as i know, there is no dirver for the 920. The linux-driver can be ported but is under special license (porting allowed only for open source os's).

regards

Date: 09 Aug, 2003 on 15:44
eCSNL
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.wanadoo.nl/rwklein
since: 03 Dec, 2002
4. Re:LAN 3COM 920 in Dell Latitude

Michaelhz (09 Aug, 2003 16:44):
.. as far as i know, there is no dirver for the 920. The linux-driver can be ported but is under special license (porting allowed only for open source os's).

regards

You can use the 3com 3c90x driver (3c905 driver). Get driver version 5.2.4.

Roderick Klein
Mensys

Date: 10 Aug, 2003 on 02:08
FrMike
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://frmike.com
since: 17 Aug, 2003
5. Re:LAN 3COM 920 in Dell Latitude

eCSNL (10 Aug, 2003 03:0:

You can use the 3com 3c90x driver (3c905 driver). Get driver version 5.2.4.

Roderick Klein
Mensys

Alas, I have a 3Com 3C3NAC1556B Mini PCI Ethernet board in a Thinkpad T20 which the 3c905driver does not recognize. Indeed, I've not found ANY 3Com OS/2driver which will recognize it.

Yes, I've got the latest version of the 3c905 driver (v5.2.4 of EL90X.OS2, dated 6/29/2001). Here is the message I get:

3Com Etherlink PCI OS/2 NDIS driver v5.2.4
ERROR: Network adapter not found or not responding.
ERROR: Initialization failure. Driver will not be installed.
Press any key to continue...

The thing is that both of Windows 2000 (the preloaded OS) and RedHat Linux v8 both recognize and use this NIC with no problem.

I wonderif there may be a problem with the speed of the processor.. The driver is not recent, and the processor is a 700MHz Pentium III. Actually, this setup should not have been bleeding-edge when the driver was updated. That leaves the possibility that there is a conflict somewhere, maybe with the OS/2 kernel or with some eCS component or driver.

To try things with eCS out of the picture, I set up one partition with MCP1. Again, no dice. I suppose I could try installing Warp 4 on it, but that's a real pain since I can have only one of the CD-ROM or the floppy in at a time.

What do I do next? I did have occasion to use the kernel debugger three years ago or so; I guess I could try that again (and figure it out again). I suppose I could look at the Linux driver (available at ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/3c59x.c) and maybe even try to understand why the GPL would not let me post it to Hobbes.

Thank you for your help!

Date: 17 Aug, 2003 on 23:10
abwillis
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 21 Mar, 2003
6. Re:LAN 3COM 920 in Dell Latitude
This is the card (3Com 3C3NAC1556B) I have in my Dell and I have not found a driver that works for it in OS/2. I downloaded the source for the Linux driver but don't know enough to do anything with it. I tried the genmac driver and it lit up the lights but didn't actually work unfortunately.
Andy
Date: 20 Aug, 2003 on 18:54
FrMike
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://frmike.com
7. Re:LAN 3COM 920 in Dell Latitude

abwillis (20 Aug, 2003 19:54):
This is the card (3Com 3C3NAC1556B) I have in my Dell and I have not found a driver that works for it in OS/2.

I see that I have company in my misery. I have undertaken to disassemble the EL90X.OS2 driver in the hopes that the problem won't be too hard to find. (It may come down to something as easy as inserting an the PCI device-identification code for the 3CN3AC1556B into the driver.)
I hope to have an answer soon.
Date: 21 Aug, 2003 on 20:17
FrMike
Normal member
in user

8. Re:LAN 3COM 920 in Dell Latitude

FrMike (21 Aug, 2003 21:17):
I have undertaken to disassemble the EL90X.OS2 driver in the hopes that the problem won't be too hard to find. (It may come down to something as easy as inserting an the PCI device-identification code for the 3CN3AC1556B into the driver.)

Yes, I've got an answer.

I have more to do to test whether everything will keep working, but my disassembly has revealed so far that the driver suffers from a coding error that never got fixed.
I traced the execution of the INIT handler up to the point where it scans the PCI bus in search of a 3Com NIC. When it runs across a device with a vendor ID of 10B7h (the vendor ID for 3Com), it checks to see if the board's device ID is in the list of device ID's that the driver can handle. When I compared the entries on this list with the entries contained in the source code of the Linux driver, I saw that one entry, 9056h, is not listed in the Linux driver. Well, lo and behold, the PCI device ID for the 3C1556B NIC is 6056h. I decided that it would have been easy to make a coding error. The other device ID's that the driver understands all begin with the hex digit 9. So, it would appear the programmer just typed a 9 instead of a 6.
I patched that one byte of EL90X.OS2 and tried it out. Voila! The message you are reading passed through that very driver on its way to your screen!
Is this the right solution? I still need to try things out. After all, I got this to work just a little while ago. It seems, for example, that the driver doesn't know how to wake up after a suspend.

If you want to try it out yourself, here's what to do.
1. Open a command prompt and move to the directory with all the NIC drivers:

cd \ibmcom\macs

2. Verify that the EL90X.OS2 driver is present. Note also whether there are any backups:

dir el90x*

3. Be sure you have the correct version of EL90X.OS2. The date should be June 29, 2001, and the file size should be 52559 bytes.

4. (Optional, but recommended) Save a copy of the file as a backup. For example:

copy el90x.os2 el90x.os2.orig

5. Invoke the OS/2 PATCH command:

patch el90x.os2

6. At the "Enter the hexadecimal offset of patch" prompt, enter the offset:

c52c

7. Verify that you see a line that begins
0000C52C 90 75 03 EB 52 90 81 F9 0A
(I won't worry you with all 16 bytes.) Note that the cursor is under the first 9.

8. Type the digit 6. Note that the first byte is now 60. Hit ENTER.

9. Type "N" at the "Do you want to continue patching" prompt. Type "Y" at the "Do you want these patches applied" prompt.

10. Start the Adapters and Protocols setup tool. You can go through a bunch of folders starting from the System Setup folder in order to find it, or you can cut to the chase and start MPTS.EXE from the nice command prompt:

mpts

11. Be sure that you have the correct driver selected. The adapter is called "3Com Fast Etherlink/Etherlink XL Family OS/2".

12. Make changes as needed and reboot.

I hope this works out for you.

Date: 03 Sep, 2003 on 07:43
vico
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.manchegox.org
since: 07 Aug, 2003
9. Re:LAN 3COM 920 in Dell Latitude
Hello again!

Yesterday, download the file 3C90X2.EXE the 3COM Web pages.

Install the driver NDIS2\OS2\EL90X.OS2 (DATE:01-06-29).

Reboot and voila! Is found!!

In the last position in the CONFIG.SYS:
DEVICE=C:\IBMCOM\MACS\EL90X.OS2

Thank you very much to every body!

Date: 03 Sep, 2003 on 11:04
abwillis
Premium member
in user

10. Re:LAN 3COM 920 in Dell Latitude

FrMike (03 Sep, 2003 08:43):

I traced the execution of the INIT handler up to the point where it scans the PCI bus in search of a 3Com NIC. When it runs across a device with a vendor ID of 10B7h (the vendor ID for 3Com), it checks to see if the board's device ID is in the list of device ID's that the driver can handle. When I compared the entries on this list with the entries contained in the source code of the Linux driver, I saw that one entry, 9056h, is not listed in the Linux driver. Well, lo and behold, the PCI device ID for the 3C1556B NIC is 6056h. I decided that it would have been easy to make a coding error. The other device ID's that the driver understands all begin with the hex digit 9. So, it would appear the programmer just typed a 9 instead of a 6.

Have you tried the genmac driver? It has 6056 as one of the entries. It hasn't worked for me but it would be good to test it on other machines.
Andy

Date: 03 Sep, 2003 on 15:34
abwillis
Premium member
in user

11. Re:LAN 3COM 920 in Dell Latitude
Unfortunately patching didn't work for me. Gave me an error the card wasn't installed or wasn't responding. At first I thought it was due to having turned off the card in bios so I turned it back on but same error. May be an irq conflict with my USB I guess.
Andy
Date: 03 Sep, 2003 on 16:07
abwillis
Premium member
in user

12. Re:LAN 3COM 920 in Dell Latitude
Ok my card appears it may be a 6055 instead of a 6056. Do you know what I would need to patch to make it try to use it?
The genmac driver finds my card as 6055 instead of 6056 but it conflicts with my usb and knocks out my keyboard and mouse but seems that it would work if the bios would allow me to disable the usb.
Andy
Date: 03 Sep, 2003 on 16:53
abwillis
Premium member
in user

13. Re:LAN 3COM 920 in Dell Latitude
One more question
what are you using to disassemble?
Andy
Date: 03 Sep, 2003 on 17:17
FrMike
Normal member
in user

14. Re:LAN 3COM 920 in Dell Latitude

abwillis (03 Sep, 2003 17:07):
Unfortunately patching didn't work for me. Gave me an error the card wasn't installed or wasn't responding. At first I thought it was due to having turned off the card in bios so I turned it back on but same error. May be an irq conflict with my USB I guess.
Andy

This Thinkpad where I was having the problem has USB on it, so that doesn't necessarily make USB the problem. (I'm using that machine right now. Yes, the message you're reading went through the formerly nonresponsive NIC.)

Be sure that your NIC is showing up on the PCI bus scan and check out its device ID. You need a PCI scanner for this. You might have one or two of these already on your hard disk: maybe the one that comes from Chuck McKinnis' NICPAK page or the one in the \ecs\system\SIOeCS directory on an eCS v1.1 system. The scanner in the SIOeCS directory is a little bit easier to use.

There are several other PCI scanners available. In any case, look for a vendor ID of 10B7 (for 3Com Corporation) and a device which has a class of "Ethernet Network". If no such device shows up, no wonder the driver can't find it. Now note the device ID. If you've got a 3c1556B or (evidently) any of its variants, the device ID is 6056.

Are you sure that your NIC works correctly? Does it work right with other OS's?

I'll probably keep up my disassembly of the driver. Who knows? I might find what's hanging things up.

Date: 03 Sep, 2003 on 18:10
abwillis
Premium member
in user

15. Re:LAN 3COM 920 in Dell Latitude
Vendor 10B7h 3COM Corp, Networking Division
Device 6055h 3C556 10/100 Mini PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

It shows in pci as shown above. It is 6055 instead of 6056 as the genmac driver found it. I am certain the genmac driver problem is related to usb because usb quits working when I install genmac (I am guessing it has problems sharing the IRQ). In this case if I can patch the el90X driver to read 6055 it might work (depending on how close 6055 and 6056 are).
Andy

Date: 03 Sep, 2003 on 18:23
FrMike
Normal member
in user

16. Re:LAN 3COM 920 in Dell Latitude

abwillis (03 Sep, 2003 19:23):
Vendor 10B7h 3COM Corp, Networking Division
Device 6055h 3C556 10/100 Mini PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
In this case if I can patch the el90X driver to read 6055 it might work (depending on how close 6055 and 6056 are).
Andy

When I look through the list of supported adapters in the Linux 3c59x driver, device ID of 6055h sure enough shows up as "3c556 Laptop Tornado". Yes, it's a 3c556.

The whole topic of 3Com's model numbers is awfully confusing to me. If these NIC's are in the 556 series, why is it that the 90x is the one that is supposed to handle them? Consider that the Linux driver comes from a source file called 3c59x.c.

Go ahead and try patching the EL90X.OS2 driver to match the device ID of your board. At step 6 of my instructions, where you enter the patch address, use the address C52B, the address before C52C. Remember that Intel processors are little-endian: the least significant byte comes first. The first two bytes shown on the line of PATCH output are this device ID.

So, on an unmodified EL90X.OS2 driver, patch will show this line:

0000C52B    56 90 75 03 EB 52 90 81 F9 0A 90 75 03 EB 49 90    V.u..R.....u..I.

You would want to be sure that those first two bytes have the value

55 60

Try this and see if it works. I'll keep investigating.

Regarding the disassembler, it is an old version of IDA. IDA Pro is the current product of Data Rescue (www.datarescue.com); it looks really neat, but, boy is it expensive. The old version still does a lot of things well for my purposes.

Date: 03 Sep, 2003 on 22:23
abwillis
Premium member
in user

17. Re:LAN 3COM 920 in Dell Latitude
No go. Gives me an error that I need a newer version of the driver for this adapter.
Andy
Date: 04 Sep, 2003 on 19:09
FrMike
Normal member
in user

18. Re:LAN 3COM 920 in Dell Latitude

abwillis (04 Sep, 2003 20:09):
No go. Gives me an error that I need a newer version of the driver for this adapter.
Andy

Ouch!

I wish I could come up with a good answer. It could have something to do with the fact that this is a tornado-class NIC. I want to continue with my disassembly with the driver to the point of having a good source file for the assembler. I have two main motivations:

1. Allow the driver to handle a greater selection of the 3Com NICS.

2. Allow the NIC to wake successfully after a suspend.

As far as this second issue goes, I note that the Linux driver also does not automatically awaken the NIC after a suspend; the Linux driver does, at least, give the user the chance to stop and restart the NIC manually. There are OS/2 drivers which do manage to wake up.

Ever onward.

Date: 04 Sep, 2003 on 22:08
Henk
Normal member
in user

since: 25 Feb, 2003
19. Re:LAN 3COM 920 in Dell Latitude
On the OS/2 DeviceDriver list I saw sometime ago this announcement...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
on behalf of Willibald Meyer <mywi*at*isndpm*dot*de> I'd like to
announce the limited availability of "General Mac-Driver (16/32Bit) for
OS/2". It handles Resource Manager and APM just fine and (currently)
supports the following NICs:

Chip PCI-ID
---------------------------
SIS 900 (0900)
nForce2 MCP-T (0066) (using the Linux nvnetlib.o module)
nForce MCP-T (01C3) (using the Linux nvnetlib.o module)
NS-DP83820 Gigabit
3Com 3C90xC (9200)
3Com 3C90xC Mini-PCI (5055)
3Com 3C90xC Mini-PCI (6055)
3Com 3C90xC Mini-PCI (6056)

I am happily using this driver for quite some time now on a 3Com 3C905C
and a nForce2 MCP-T.

Willibald is asking for people to test the driver on other hardware (in
particular SiS 900, it's tested on ECS K7S5A mobos only so far).
Suggestions are welcome.

Drop me a note if you are interested in the driver archive and I'll
send it to you. Feedback may go to the OS/2 PDD mailing list or
straight to Willibald - *DON'T* send it to me!

Enjoy!

Ciao,

Dani
("Daniela Engert" <*dani*at*ngrt*dot*de*)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope that this will help some of you, now or in the future ....

With kind regards,

Henk/2

Date: 05 Sep, 2003 on 01:16
abwillis
Premium member
in user

20. Re:LAN 3COM 920 in Dell Latitude
That is the genmac driver I referenced.
I submitted my bug report on it a couple of times as I have not received acknowledgement and am not sure if it was received or not. When it is installed it knocks my usb mouse and keyboard out. It gives me a green light and the orange light flashes once but no go otherwise.
Andy
Date: 05 Sep, 2003 on 03:42
LAN 3COM 920 in Dell Latitude
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: