Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Networking
PCI Network Cards and OS/2?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
1. PCI Network Cards and OS/2?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Does anyone have a recomendation for PCI network cards that work with OS/2? Does anyone have a recomendation for network hubs that work with OS/2?
OS/2 Warp-ed to the very end.
Date: 25 May, 2001 on 19:16
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:PCI Network Cards and OS/2?

tommylee (25 May, 2001 19:16):
Does anyone have a recomendation for PCI network cards that work with OS/2? Does anyone have a recomendation for network hubs that work with OS/2?

I've used both D-Link and 3Com cards, but would suggest that you choose the 3Com cards such as Fast EtherLink XL card. But most of the 3Com cards works fine.

All hubs should work fine. If you are connected via xDSL or ISDN try to get a BroadBand connector with Hub. Reason is that You get rather nice features along such as simple firewall, DHCP-server among other. I'm currently using ISDN-connection together with a D-Link 206 (NetGear has exactly the same box, just a slightly higher price) and it works fine. Getting ADSL during the next 2-3 weeks so I plan to upgrade to either 3Com or US Robotics ADSL-broadband hubs.

//Kim

Date: 27 May, 2001 on 20:53
BigWarpGuy
Premium member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://home.comcast.net/~tomleem
since: 12 Jan, 2001
3. Re:PCI Network Cards and OS/2?
I was thinking of using the network cards with broadband (dsl) and a homenetwork. DSL is available in my area but not to my phone line (odd but true). I am assembling another computer to use as a 'server' (a future thing but I am getting 'parts' together for it). The information that you gave will be helpful.
Date: 30 May, 2001 on 22:02
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
4. Re:PCI Network Cards and OS/2?
last updated at 31 May, 2001 00:14 (1 times)
Some more info then, something to think about. The good thing about ADSL or SDSL is that in most cases is that you get a fixed IP-address. So how is this used best then? Well, if you don't have any plans of setting up a public server just set up the xDSL-modem and connect this to a smart hub that gives you some security, such as simple firewall, Dynamic IP handling (DHCP) and Network Address Translation (NAT). By doing so all your other system would request an address from the smart hub. Well, you could also use 192.168.x.x IP-serie if You would like to use fixed IP in your net and then let the smart hub take care of the address translation from Your private IP-series to a public address, ie the one and only that your smart hub is using. Another way that would be more or interest if you would like to have public web server, ftp or whatever is that You set up your public server with two networkcards (NIC) and connect the xDSL-modem directly to NIC1 and that would then have a public IP and NIC2 could then use a 192.168.x.x IP. Your system would then have to be set up as an router and with NAT-function. Best solution would be to get more than one public IP address, one for the smart hub and one for the server, the rest of the computers could then use 192.168.x.x IP (reserved IP-range to be used for internal network only). A great RedBook from IBM if you would like to read more about TCP/IP would be TCP/IP Tutorial and Technical Overview (GG24-3376-05) another great book is TCP/IP Implementation in an OS/2 Warp Enviroment (SG24-4730-00) and finally also to be mentioned IP Network Design Guide (SG24-2580-01).

Lots of reading, but You'll find the books either for download or order at http://www.redbooks.ibm.com

//Kim

Date: 31 May, 2001 on 00:13
pipes
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 17 Aug, 2001
5. Re:PCI Network Cards and OS/2?
I've heard that 3COM cards are faster in the OS/2 environment more so than the Windows environment, but that was years ago. I would imagine it would be the same. I've gotten several no-name NICs to work fine. I got a DSL/Cable Router for broadband, which I will plan on getting in two months or so. I got a 10mb 8 port hub to test with 2 client PCs.

I will see as it goes. I got NT 4 on a separate partition so SBC won't complain, I will be going the DSL route first.

-Peter
Date: 17 Aug, 2001 on 23:51
PCI Network Cards and OS/2?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: