Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Networking
Two NICs on OS/2
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Jazuli
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 09 Dec, 2003
1. Two NICs on OS/2
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Could some one please help me. I have two NICs and requires to connect to to IP Networks. One card has IP add 192.1680.0.254 and the other 173.1.199.34. I could ping its self without a problem. But I cannot ping its respective networks such as 192.168.0.12 and 173.1.199.229. Please could some one tell me how to do this. I am desperately awaiting response,
Regards,
Date: 09 Dec, 2003 on 12:25
paco
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 20 Oct, 2003
2. Re:Two NICs on OS/2
I do not know what the problem can be ,
but it seems a problem os subnet mask
send me an email at fsignes@ctv.es and i will
try to help you

Good luck, Francesc SIgnes

Date: 11 Dec, 2003 on 19:45
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

since: 26 Nov, 2002
3. Re:Two NICs on OS/2

paco (11 Dec, 2003 20:45):
...but it seems a problem os subnet mask...

Paco is right.
Usually, you would go by configuring TCP/IP settings for the NICs by running either "tcpcfg" or "tcpcfg2" (depending on your version of OS/2|eCS) but you can also take a look into "setup.cmd" in your MPTN directory (usually \mptn\bin\setup.cmd).

You should have two lines NOT REMmed like
ifconfig lan0 aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig lan1 vvv.xxx.yyy.zzz netmask 255.255.255.0

there might be some "hopcount" or other parameters as wel, but the important thing is that the netmask should be 255.255.255.0 so you can reach the machines in aaa.bbb.ccc and vvv.xxx.yyy ...

Hope this helps. If not, Paco will surely point you to the important things (if he didn't do so already).

Greetings - keeping fingers crossed
Thomas

Date: 02 Jan, 2004 on 16:23
Jazuli
Normal member
in user

since: 09 Dec, 2003
4. Re:Two NICs on OS/2
Thank you guys, but I still do not have a clue. One segment works but not the other. I have even change to NICs. But one comes up (always the lan0) but other does not ping its network.

Any clue guys,

Date: 13 Jan, 2004 on 14:08
eskot
Normal member
in user

since: 13 Jan, 2004
5. Re:Two NICs on OS/2
What are Your routing commands?
Do You have routers in both networks?
In [x:]\mptn\bin\setup.cmd You issue the route commands
and You should have an entry for both of Your networks.
If You do not have routers, use the NIC addresses.
You may have a default route command but in the wrong network/NIC.

HTH
EskoT

Date: 13 Jan, 2004 on 19:25
dgclark
Normal member
in user

since: 18 Jan, 2004
6. Re:Two NICs on OS/2
I have 2 NIC cards installed on my WSeB machine, and am using InJoy firewall/pppoe to connect to a DSL network and enable all machines on my local lan to share the connection. Once card connects to the DSL modem, one card connects to my LAN. Somethings I discovered:

1) I use two Intel Pro NIC cards. I first tried mixing cards from two different manufacturers but could not get it to work. I don't know it that means that it is impossible, or that I was not smart enough to figure out how.

2) (sorry to suggest this) - do you have TCP/IP enabled for both cards?

3) For the Intel cards - I had to put the driver in the CONFIG.SYS file twice, once for each card. I had to put the address for each card as part of the driver line. I suspect you have to put the driver in CONFIG.SYS twice for all cards.

4) There is some weird error in how the TCP/IP setup reads the setup.cmd file. This effected me when setting MTU at the end of the line.

I wrote an article that appeared in OS2eZine a few months ago about setting up inJoy. While it is oriented to InJoy I think I described getting the two NIC card setup to work also. If you can't find the article, or it doesn't help, let me know.

Douglas Clark
Date: 18 Jan, 2004 on 04:49
WarpedOS2
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.stechgroup.ca
since: 13 Mar, 2003
7. Re:Two NICs on OS/2
Hi

with two NICS in an TCPIP network you will have one default route and the other nic will have to have a network route. You must choose which is which. It has no network performance impact on which is the default route or not at least none that I have encountered. If you just want to access either of you networks, then just two network routes will work as well. But if one network gives you access to the internet..or whatever then put the routers IP address in for the default route on that particular subnet.

that should do it.

Sincerely

Vaughn

Date: 18 Jan, 2004 on 20:47
icebear
Premium member
in user

since: 17 Jun, 2001
8. Re: You may test your two NICs on OS/2 ...
... without InJoy and its firewall features !?

It all may work and Injoy's setting may block it ??

If everthing works well ...
... go ahead and set your firewall then !!!

Date: 18 Jan, 2004 on 21:57
HarryWho
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.niclan.homeip.net
since: 24 Apr, 2004
9. Re:Two NICs on OS/2
last updated at 28 Jul, 2004 14:25 (1 times)
Perhaps a bit late in joining this thread - but I have two network cards on a WSEB computer lan0 192.168.1.10 & lan1 192.168.6.10.

The heck I could not get the routing right! So, I ran 'routed.exe' on the the OS2 box and enabled RIP on my ADSL 'Billion 5100w" [it's set up in bridged mode'] and all works wonderfuly well..

My ADSL modem plugs directly into lan0 and the network via a hub plugs into lan1

BTW, of the the 2 NIC's one is a generic RelTek 8139 whilst the other is a 3com both PCI cards.

Date: 28 Jul, 2004 on 14:22
Two NICs on OS/2
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: