Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Networking
Connect To PC on Another Subnet
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Josh
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 11 Dec, 2003
1. Connect To PC on Another Subnet
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
We have a OS/2 Warp 3.0. It is on the 72 subnet (XXX.XXX.72.226 is the IP). We used to have an NT4 Server on IP Address XXX.XXX.72.79. The OS/2 PC create a mapped network drive to a share on this server using the "net use..." command at the command prompt. This worked without problems for a few years.

Just recently, we replaced this server with one running windows2003 server. The new server was moved to a different location and a different subnet: XXX.XXX.64.238. I am now unable to map a drive to this server from the OS/2 machine.

On the OS/2 machine, I am able to ping the new server by IP address AND hostname. I can map a drive to a Win NT4 PC on the 72 subnet. I can map a drive to a Windows 2000 server PC on the 72 subnet. But I can not map to the server on the 64 subnet.

Is it even possible to map to a PC on another subnet? If so, what might I be missing? I'd like to resolve this without having to put the new server on the 72 subnet.

Thanks,
Josh Breitbach
jpbreitb@rockwellcollins.com

Date: 11 Dec, 2003 on 17:07
jabesse
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://rblcheck.besse.nl/
since: 05 Jun, 2003
2. Re:Connect To PC on Another Subnet
Have you tried toe connect to the server while it is on the same subnet? EG: are the server and the client configured so they can connect? It might not be an subnet-issue...

However, if it is a subnet issue, you could help the OS/2 client to find the server, by:
- create c:\ibmcom\rfcnames.lst with the netbios name and ip-address of the server. See MPTS .inf files for the right syntax. There are some issues, but don't know them all anymore. One was something with the case of the netbios name: afaik it should be in CAPS.
- in c:\ibmcom\protocol.ini, under [tcpbeui], make sure that 'namesfile' is larger than the number of entries in rfcnames.lst

Best regarts,
Jeroen Besse

Date: 11 Dec, 2003 on 18:13
LM
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 03 Jun, 2005
3. Re:Connect To PC on Another Subnet
hi guys,

i'm having the same problem, and i'm pretty sure it's a subnet issue, as the box can map to shares on the server fine when on the same subnet.

i'm trying to work through Jeroen's suggestion, but can't seem to find the MPTS.inf files. i can only seem to find MPTS app, icon and help file in the IBMCOM directory. Is there anywhere else it would be stored.

Also, can OS2 use DNS to translate server names when mapping a drive? i know DNS is working as i can ping to the correct server using hostname. And for some silly reason it doesn't like using ip addresses when mapping to shares.

Thanks in advance,
Simon

Date: 03 Jun, 2005 on 05:21
Connect To PC on Another Subnet
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: