Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Networking
Remote Access of OS2 from W2K laptop
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Will
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 02 Feb, 2004
1. Remote Access of OS2 from W2K laptop
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I need to access our Intermec server (OS2) to perform a reboot every Sunday night...otherwise, I have to drive 30 minutes to perform a 2min. reboot. Does anybody know of any software that will enable me to remote access my OS2 server from a W2K laptop? Thanks a Million!
Date: 02 Feb, 2004 on 20:57
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:Remote Access of OS2 from W2K laptop
last updated at 02 Feb, 2004 21:56 (1 times)
Well, I have used both IBMs Desktop On Call or NetOp solutions.

Both works really great, the good thing about IBM Desktop On Call is that there is no need for client software to login. DOC is a services that you set up on the server and you will be able to login from where ever you are and have access to connection internet.

/Kim

Date: 02 Feb, 2004 on 21:03
davidfor
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/djfos2
since: 20 Jan, 2003
3. Re:Remote Access of OS2 from W2K laptop
There is also a VNC server under development. It's at http://os2.in.ru/download/eros2/pmvnc-pre3.zip . I haven't tried it, but, have seen some good reports.

Other ways include:
- Using a scheduler and a shutdown program to do it automatically
- Telnet or similar
- If it runs a web-server, getting that to run a command like shutdown isn't very hard. Security is the biggest issue.

And for my curiosity, what's an "Intermec server"? I helped write a system that used Intermec handheld scanners a few years ago, but, I don't remember seeing anything OS/2 related from them. Is it the same company, or something completely different?

David
Date: 02 Feb, 2004 on 22:55
Will
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
4. Re:Remote Access of OS2 from W2K laptop
last updated at 04 Feb, 2004 19:00 (2 times)
Hi David,
Our Intermec OS2 server runs DCS 300 v1.6 software that connects our Intermec products to our LAN. The DCS300 software collects RF data from our Intermec hardware and sends it down the pipe to our Warehouse Management Server where the data is then updated.
Also...Thanks for your help in resolving my remote access issue. We are currently looking into the scheduler as an answer to this dilemma. Thanks, Will
Date: 04 Feb, 2004 on 18:49
Will
Normal member
in user

5. Re:Remote Access of OS2 from W2K laptop
Hi Kim,
Thanks so much for taking the time to assist me on my Remote Access problems with OS2. The IBM Desktop On Call worked out great. The weekends are mine again (well, at least for now) Thanks again...you're the Best! Resp, Will
Date: 04 Feb, 2004 on 18:56
Remote Access of OS2 from W2K laptop
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: