Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Networking
rdesktop for os/2... success, anyone?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Nov, 2002
1. rdesktop for os/2... success, anyone?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hi folks,

I'm trying to get rdesktop to run, but with no success so far.
- They say you need xfree86. I have it. Installed and functional.
- They say you need OpenSSL for OS/2. I have it. I can't tell if it's functional or not, because the doc is not quite as helpful as I expected and I doubt that I have all prerequisites the way it expects them to be... although I seem to have done everything that is stated in the docs...

So... is there anyone out there who has a working copy of rdesktop to access a WinXP client running remote desktop login?
BTW: The XP client is configured okay... for Win clients running msrdpcli (the mstsc.exe) at least...

Thanks for any help!
Thomas

Date: 29 Apr, 2004 on 18:04
lonewarp
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 30 Apr, 2004
2. Not yet; was: rdesktop for os/2... success, anyone?
I also need rdesktop to run, but had no success so far.
Unfortunately, I believe I am still stuck with XFree86. Which version do you use?
I tried 4.4.0 on my ThinkPad T30, but am not sure that everything in configered right (followed the tutorial at os2voice): I can't set the X11SHELL to anything else than cmd.exe.
If I try the Public Domain Korn Shell, XFree86/OS2 always crashes as it claims the file/path doesn't exist (used the / in the SET command as per recommendation - but \ gave the same result).

This is my first contact with XFree86/OS2, thus if it seems advisable I have absolutely no problem in switching to version 3.3.6.

Thanks,
Wolf-Jobst

Date: 30 Apr, 2004 on 04:40
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

3. Re:Not yet; was: rdesktop for os/2... success, anyone?
last updated at 30 Apr, 2004 08:54 (1 times)
Wolf-Jobst,

I had a lot of problems too in getting Xfree86 running.
I can't tell the exact version I have, as I'm not in the office today. I know it's the 3.x not the 4.x, but wIll check it on Monday and tell you.
But the most important things as far as I remember were:
1) Download the stuff from the netlabs ftp server
2) Download the "patches" from the netlabs ftp server (not found elsewhere) - it won't run without them!
3) Follow instructions by Christian Hennecke, available here at os2world ( http://www.os2world.com/os2files )

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 30 Apr, 2004 on 08:52
lonewarp
Normal member
in user

4. Re:rdesktop for os/2... success, anyone?
Getting closer...
XFree 4.4.0 is now running. Yes, I followed Christian instructions, but exchanging cmd.exe for ksh.exe wasn't that easy.
Got a hint on Usenet, though, and changed the xinit call in startx.cmd from /c parameter to -c. Now it works...

The rdesktop is another issue but next week I get closer access to the server I'd like to use and then I will know more (hopefully).

Thanks and and best regards,
Wolf

Date: 30 Apr, 2004 on 12:21
abwillis
Premium member
in user

since: 21 Mar, 2003
5. Re:rdesktop for os/2... success, anyone?
I use rdesktop on a daily basis. Which version are you using? I have xfree86 4.4.0 and it works well with it but I ussually use it with hoblink.
Andy
Date: 06 May, 2004 on 20:29
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

6. Re:rdesktop for os/2... success, anyone?
last updated at 07 May, 2004 09:22 (1 times)

abwillis (06 May, 2004 20:29):
I use rdesktop on a daily basis. Which version are you using? I have xfree86 4.4.0 and it works well with it but I ussually use it with hoblink.
Andy

Andy,

thanks for the information. I'm using a 3.x version of XFree86 (but as on every Friday, I'm working from home and don't have XFree installed here - so I can't tell the exact vesion).
Maybe someone simply forgot to mention that rdesktop requires a SPECIFIC version of Xfree? Anyway - could you post/attach the relevant part of your config.sys, the rdesktop and OpenSSL config files? That way, I might check if there's something wrong with my setup.
Does rdesktop require any other prerequisites? Something like special parameters, a running XFree connection to somewhere instead of "installed" only?

Thanks a lot!
Thomas

Date: 07 May, 2004 on 09:21
lonewarp
Normal member
in user

7. Re:rdesktop for os/2... success, anyone?

abwillis (06 May, 2004 20:29):
Andy

Andy,

This sounds most interesting.
I succeeded in the meantime in getting rdesktop to run on XFree86/OS2, version 4.4.0 in our LAN.
However, I also just installed Hoblink for OS/2 (the one from the eCS Application Pack).
Is that the one you are referring to? If so, I would like to see whether I could get that solution working, too.

Thanks, Wolf

Date: 09 May, 2004 on 06:06
abwillis
Premium member
in user

since: 21 Mar, 2003
8. Re:rdesktop for os/2... success, anyone?
First , yes I am referring to Hoblink from eCS. Secondly, if you are using rdesktop 1.3 then it may require xfree 4.4 as that is what I built it on and haven't tested it with 3.x and though I think it should work I honestly couldn't say. If you are using the older rdesktp2 (1.1) that is on hobbes then I think it was built using xfree 3.x. Here is what I have in config.sys:
REM SET for xfree86
SET TERM=ansi
SET termcap=e:/compilers/emx/etc/termcap.dat
SET user=abwillis
SET USERNAME=abwillis
SET logname=abwillis
SET X11ROOT=e:
REM SET this is faster for xfree SET display=:0
SET display=andy3:0.0
SET xserver=e:/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86.exe
SET EMXOPT=-h120
SET HOME=E:\usr\abwillis
SET GTK_CONFIG=e:/usr/X11R6/bin/gtk12-config
REM set end for xfree86
As well I have xfree and emx in path/libpath.
I downloaded openssl from hobbes and I am fairly certain it is the 0.9.7a that is there currently.
Here is the script i launch it with:
call rdesktop -u andywill -d BLDUSFS -n license2 -g 1200x1024 -T 105 -N 172.210.241.105
I have used rdesktop 1.1, 1.2, and finally ported 1.3.1. 1.1 has an advantage running in Hoblink, it repaints much better if it gets covered by another applicaiton or minimized, etc. 1.2 connected better to my Terninal Server and I ported 1.3.1 and because it has the ability to copy and paste (requires xclipboard2pm) to/from the desktop. Hobbes has the first and the last while Jacco's website has the first and the second. In all, if 1.1 didn't fail to connect so often I would probably use it due to the repaint issue as that is worse than not being able to copy and paste between TS and OS/2 (repaint issue is only when used with Hoblink and if you do somehting that forces a repaint on the terminal screen it cleans up).
As to use with Hoblink, if you have it working with xfree and you have Hoblink useable then it should be nothing more than running it.
Andy
Date: 09 May, 2004 on 07:37
rdesktop for os/2... success, anyone?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: