Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Networking
DHCP / DNS question...
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Nov, 2002
1. DHCP / DNS question...
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hi folks,

we're running a DSL router with integrated modem (Zyxel) at our office. It has an integrated DHCP server and assigns IP numbers from the defined pool to the workstations. The problem now is, that we're having trouble to access shares on DHCP-assigned machines by using the machine NAMES.
While the DHCP table of the router lists everything okay, we cannot ping a LAN workstation by its name: The router looks up the "internet DNS" server and gets back with nothing found.
Example:
Workstations "ws1" and "ws2" are listed with their IP adresses in the routers DHCP table. If I enter "ping ws1" on ws2, the router does not check its DHCP table but looks up the hostname via internet and (of course) cannot find it.

Question:
How to solve this problem? We can't use the "hosts" file along with "use_hosts_first", because actually we don't know the IP adress that might have been assigned to a workstation... so we can't write the ip-adress down... do we need DDNS for that? If so: How to set it up?
Do we have to use specific naming rules for the domain/hostnames?

TIA
Thomas

Date: 31 May, 2004 on 14:09
devnul
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 04 Jul, 2003
2. Re:DHCP / DNS question...
IMHO best solution would be to limit DHCP range (e.g. use from 192.168.0.100 -192.168.0.254 instead the whole range starting from 192.168.0.1) then assing to every fixed workstation a unique IP-Adress out of the excluded range (don't forget to add DNS Servers and default gateway too). The you can use the hosts list and notebooks( which may be used in different lan's or from visitors who are allowed to attach their notebooks to your lan/internet access) get an IP adress from DHCP. Your boot time on Worksations benefits too and using fixed address is quite often in mixed environments (e.g. with printservers, printers with own networkcard and RIP's - e.g. the fiery's, mac's, win, other os ...) the first choice to avoid troubles.

Using DDNS is definitely a stupid idea, or do you want to establish everytime you connect to a machine inside you LAN a WAN connection first ?

As Zyxel has excellent documentation (several hundred pages and has usually a bunch of features, your router should be capable to do such and you should be too after reading the documentation.

Date: 31 May, 2004 on 15:25
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

3. Re:DHCP / DNS question...

devnul (31 May, 2004 15:25):
IMHO best solution would be...

Thanks - that's a good idea (we already thought of that as a workaround-option). But...
is there no other way of getting it done while using "full DHCP" functionality from the router? I mean: The router already has a table of IP/hostname. Isn't it possible somehow to make the router act as a "LAN first" DNS server by using "special" settings in TCP/IP config of the workstattions? Or is it possible to run a DNS on another local machine - a linux server for example?
And to go for the full solution: How is this to be solved the "real" way in TCP/IP? Actually, we need nothing else but a "local" DNS server that looks up its own table first before relaying to the internet-DNS given by the ISP...

TIA
Thomas

Date: 31 May, 2004 on 21:50
devnul
Normal member
in user

since: 04 Jul, 2003
4. Re:DHCP / DNS question...
How many Workstations do you have ? Setting up a DNS Server might be (unless you are using primarily W2K clients, which always wan't to connect to an DNS Server during boot and so establish a WAN connection. No, no simple solution available) like shooting with canons on sparrots. And as I've told you, using DHCP in mixed environments may be the cause of weird problems. As using fixed IP-Adresses for not walking around workstations/network-printers/network-devices has no drawback I can't see any reason why not to take it's advantages.
Date: 31 May, 2004 on 22:44
Trident
Normal member
in user

since: 18 May, 2004
5. Re:DHCP / DNS question...
I just setup a wireless network in my home, using a USRobotics routher
with DHCP..
after running into the same problems you discribed, I talked
to one of the guys on the os/2 chat room..
here's what I did..
after setting up the MPTS, I then setup the TCP config
I just clicked on DHCP.. nothing else was necassary...
on the server side just make sure that you IP numbers are
in the network ie: 192.168..xxx.xxx... ..or what ever set your using.
Best
Date: 01 Jun, 2004 on 05:51
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

6. Re:DHCP / DNS question...

Trident (01 Jun, 2004 05:51):
after setting up the MPTS, I then setup the TCP config
I just clicked on DHCP.. nothing else was necassary...
on the server side just make sure that you IP numbers are
in the network ie: 192.168..xxx.xxx... ..or what ever set your using.
Best

Yes, but... "just clicking DHCP in the tcp config" is how to set up the DHCP client on the workstation... that's not the question... how does your network know the ip of a workstation that you access by name? Is that resolved without the need for (internet-based) DNS? Then maybe the function set of your router differs from that of our ZyXel. Anyway thanks!

Thomas

Date: 01 Jun, 2004 on 10:34
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

7. Re:DHCP / DNS question...

devnul (31 May, 2004 22:44):
How many Workstations do you have ? Setting up a DNS Server might be (unless you are using primarily W2K clients, which always wan't to connect to an DNS Server during boot and so establish a WAN connection. No, no simple solution available) like shooting with canons on sparrots. And as I've told you, using DHCP in mixed environments may be the cause of weird problems. As using fixed IP-Adresses for not walking around workstations/network-printers/network-devices has no drawback I can't see any reason why not to take it's advantages.

Devnul,

First: Thanks a lot for your help!
Second: We have almost a dozen of machines running here ranging from win95,98,2000 and XP to Suse Linux 8, an RS/6000 with AIX 5 and oracle, OS/2 Warp 3 and 4 with apache + MySQL and eCS of course. In addition, we have quite another half dozen of machines (from time to time) with different configurations from clients that we either reconfigure, repair and/or set up.
You see... I want to understand *how* that DNS/DHCP stuff works in detail and in "pure theory": The question is not whether it's useful or not, applicable or not or whether it's shooting on sparrows with cannons... I just want to understand how it actually works.
But thanks a lot for your suggestion with having fixed IPs for the machines that are not "moving". We'll do it that way with appropriate IP ranges in the router. Thanks!

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 01 Jun, 2004 on 10:47
Roland
Normal member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.hydrografix.com
since: 02 Jan, 2001
8. Re:DHCP / DNS question...
May be you have to setup a DNS server in your environment. In our office we use the DHCP/DNS features of Warp Server for eBusiness, but I think the TCPIP software for DHCP/DNS is solitary available. You can consult this redbook which was very helpful to me:

http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/sg245280.html?Open

In my opinion the DNS server is a bit slow but ist works.

Date: 01 Jun, 2004 on 18:23
DHCP / DNS question...
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: