Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Networking
Forcing 3com- Fast/XL to 10MB mode
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
mdot
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 17 Jun, 2004
1. Forcing 3com- Fast/XL to 10MB mode
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Does anyone know how to force a 3com Fast EtherLink card into 10MB mode on OS/2. I have a unique situation and I need to force the driver into 10MB Half/Duplex mode. due to some cable problems only Half Duplex will work. 10MB FDX or higher will not negotiate with my hub. I can see the text based initialization file I need to edit but I don't know what statement to add SPEED = 10 or something like that. I thought I remember doing this back in the early 90's but I don't remember how.
Date: 17 Jun, 2004 on 18:59
davidfor
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/djfos2
since: 20 Jan, 2003
2. Re:Forcing 3com- Fast/XL to 10MB mode
I assume you are talking about editing PROTOCOL.INI. While you can do this, you can also use the MPTS configuration tool to do it. This should be in the System Setup folder with a name like "Adapters and Protocols". Using the configure option, you can select your adapter, and edit it's settings. The advantage of doing it this way, is that the dialogs should help you work out what setting is needed. Also, the setting can be different for different adapters. All the ones I've used have different ways of setting the speed and the mode.

If you don't want to use MPTS, look for a NIF file in IBMCOM\MACS for your adapter. This is what is read by MPTS to configure your adapter, and you should be able to find the settings needed from it.

---
David

Date: 18 Jun, 2004 on 01:49
Jet7Eleven
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 18 Jun, 2004
3. Re:Forcing 3com- Fast/XL to 10MB mode

mdot (17 Jun, 2004 18:59):
Does anyone know how to force a 3com Fast EtherLink card into 10MB mode on OS/2.

AFAIK there is no switch for the OS/2 NDIS driver for the media speed. But you can try to use the DOS configuration/diagnostics program for the card (available on the driver disk you can download from 3Com) to set the media speed via the cards EEPROM. Haven't tried it myself, I must admit

Date: 18 Jun, 2004 on 06:49
Forcing 3com- Fast/XL to 10MB mode
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: