Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Networking
Networking Warp v4 to NT4 Server
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
~Von
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 30 Jun, 2003
1. Networking Warp v4 to NT4 Server
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I recently started playing around again with OS/2 v4 (fixpack 14 or 15) and read that netbeui was needed to connect to Win XP. I added Netbeui to my XP Pro box and can connect fine. The XP box shows up in File and Print Client Resource Browser, and I can connect to the XP box from a command prompt with net use k: \\boxname\share.

Next I tried to get OS/2 to connect to my nt4 Server. I added the netbeui protcol to the nt box and it can ping the OS/2 box. When working from the os/2 box, I can ping the nt4 server, however, it does not show up in file and print client resource browser. when I try from a command prompt to "net use" to connect, I get an error that I need to provide the correct user and password.

"net use help" provides the syntax below. i tried a bunch of different combos but could not connect.

My network does not have a domain, rather it is simply a workgroup called "mshome". The only account on the nt server machine besides the admin acount has no password.

FYI the share on the nt server is open to everyone with full access and I have tried both ntfs and fat shares with the same results.

Could someone pls tell me the exact line to enter to connect given my setup. Or, suggest what I may be doing wrong.

Many thanks!

[C:\]net use help
The syntax of this command is:

NET USE [device | \\machineID\netname]
NET USE device \\machineID\netname [password] [/COMM]
NET USE device alias [password] [/COMM] [/DOMAIN:name]
NET USE {device | \\machineID\netname} /DELETE

Date: 15 Aug, 2004 on 23:32
cyberspittle
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 09 Dec, 2002
2. Re:Networking Warp v4 to NT4 Server
Be sure to have lmhosts announce turned on your NT 4 Server. the default is off. It should be on a networking properties. Also be sure to google NT 4 and OS/2 networks.
Date: 16 Aug, 2004 on 07:57
~Von
Normal member
in user

since: 30 Jun, 2003
3. Re:Networking Warp v4 to NT4 Server
Thank you for the reply. I got the boxes to connect by doing the following from the nt server box:
Control Panel, Network, Services Tab, Server listing, and checked "Make Browser Broadcasts to LAN Manager 2.x CLients". With that checked, the box showed up in File and Print CLient Resource Browser.
Date: 17 Aug, 2004 on 08:36
Networking Warp v4 to NT4 Server
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: