Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Networking
DSL to ISDN fallback solution...?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Nov, 2002
1. DSL to ISDN fallback solution...?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hi guys,

a customer of ours used to work with a DOS-based application and product catalogs on CD-ROM. Now they moved to an internet-based solution of the product supplier. As a matter of fact, they now heavily rely on a working internet connection...
They now have a DSL flatline but sometimes - you know - DSL is down for a lot of prossible reasons... anyway: The customer still has ISDN available - that's why I am in search for a solution that allows the LAN machines to get their internet connection via ISDN if the DSL line is down.

They have a DSL broadband router with integrated DSL modem (Zyxel model, dhcp enabled) which supports up to 4 machines plugged in directly. Currently, 3 machines are connected. So much for the DSL.

We can set up an additional machine for the ISDN connection with automatic dial on request... but how to configure the actual "fallback" logic?
Can this be done by simply specifying 2 gateways in the appropriate order (eventually turning off the dhcp stuff if required) or do we need some kind of script(s) that control the connection state and eventually set/change the default route? (I found some approaches like that being discussed in unix/linux forums - but hey... really?)

I would prefer to keep it as low-level as possible, that's to say "tcp/ip-based only" solution first, then software-controlled solution, then (last option): Get a different DSL/router with modem and integrated ISDN fallback.

But there MUST be a way of doing it without the need for a hardware-based fallback, right?
Although not the preferred solution, I would also appreciate if someone tells me how to set up IDSNPM to run both connection types and handle the fallback internally.

Thanks for any suggestions / hints / tips...
Greetings
Thomas

Date: 17 Aug, 2004 on 10:07
Kim
Team member
in staff

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.haverblad.se
since: 10 Dec, 2000
2. Re:DSL to ISDN fallback solution...?
Some of xDSL equitment has an option to connect either modem or isdn modems to be used as failover or extra connection when the normal dsl line is down. Could this be the case with the Zyxel modem/switch/router you're using?
Date: 17 Aug, 2004 on 11:59
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
3. Re:DSL to ISDN fallback solution...?

Kim (17 Aug, 2004 11:59):
Some of xDSL equitment has an option to connect either modem or isdn modems to be used as failover or extra connection when the normal dsl line is down. Could this be the case with the Zyxel modem/switch/router you're using?

Kim,

no, the model in question has not got such option - this is why I said that we could change the hardware if all other solutions fail... but I don't want to go for that already in the beginning. My aim is to provide a software-based (or settings-based) solution running on the "spare machine" that we are planning to set up as primary domain server.
Up to now, they have a peer-only network and we want them to get a real dedicated server with shares and logon verification...
That way, we could use the machine as a "gateway server" that handles the fallback machanism in addition.

Thanks, greetings
Thomas

Date: 17 Aug, 2004 on 12:14
icebear
Premium member
in user

since: 17 Jun, 2001
4. Re: DSL to ISDN fallback solution...?
Hi Warpcafe
SMC may have exactly what you are looking for:
http://www.smc-europe.com/english/index.html

The specific model you need to check is:
ADSL Barricadeâ„¢ g SMC7804WBRB

Just read and learn under ... more

Good luck !

Date: 19 Aug, 2004 on 10:20
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

5. Re:DSL to ISDN fallback solution...?
Hi folks,

thanks for the suggestions, but... ,) ... I am trying to find a software-based solution.
We have another machine that we could set up as the "gateway" machine. I know thta linux people get this things done with cron scripts that check for availability of a connection and (if not) simply do a
- route delete default
- route add default ....
if the DSL connection is down and do the same way back if the DSL connection seems to be back again.

I could even use ISDNPM with handling both "adapters" but I don't know if ISDNPM is able of doing a fallback machanism.

Or to put it that way:
Can I set up two devices (lan0, lanx) and have a routing table or something similar that always tries to go for the first connection and -if this fails- uses the second connection?
Or:
Can I trick something based upon DNS?

Thanks for any (further) suggestions!
Greetings
Thomas

Date: 19 Aug, 2004 on 12:30
DSL to ISDN fallback solution...?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: