Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Networking
IPX and NFS under eComStation 1.1
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Toby
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 03 Apr, 2004
1. IPX and NFS under eComStation 1.1
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Hi!

Two Days ago I managed to get my PC working over TCP/IP and Netbios over TCP/IP.
The next step I would like to do is to get IPX and NFS working on my eCS 1.1 PC!

1. IPX
I know that you can install IPX during the installation of eCS, but it didn't worked on my PC.
The Installation of eCS always failed by trying to install IPX.
I also know that you can install IPX afterwards with MPTS.
This works good until MPTS has to change the Config.sys.(I had no problems installing TCP with MPTS!)

Therefore my question is:
Which settings have to be standing inside the config.sys as well as inside the ibmlan.ini to get IPX working.
I think the commands for IPX are right inside the protocol.ini, but I'm not that sure.
The best would be if someone could also post the commands for IPX inside the protocol.ini.

2. NFS
I know that you can use NFS with OS/2.
How it could be used was described in the voice newsletter 02/2003
But it was not described how to install the NFS Service.

They only said that it can be installed during the installation of eCS(but I didn't find any setting allowing this!) or by copying it from another PC.
The problem is now, that I don't know anyone of my friends who is using eCS with installed NFS and I also don't want to install eCS from scratch only to get NFS running!!

Therefore my second question is:
Would it be possible that someone could give me copy of his NFS Service and describe me how to install this service.

Thanks

Toby

PS:
Just in case if someone knows:
Is it possible to use Internet Connection Sharing from Windows by inserting the Windows PC IP in the OS/2 Standartgateway?

Date: 31 Jan, 2005 on 19:04
davidfor
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/djfos2
since: 20 Jan, 2003
2. Re:IPX and NFS under eComStation 1.1

Toby (31 Jan, 2005 19:04):
PS:
Just in case if someone knows:
Is it possible to use Internet Connection Sharing from Windows by inserting the Windows PC IP in the OS/2 Standartgateway?

Sorry, don't know anything about IPX and NFS. But, the answer to this is yes. I do it the other way round (OS/2 runs InJoy, Windows machines connect through it), but, setting the gateway on the internal machines is what is needed.

---
David

Date: 01 Feb, 2005 on 01:58
LewisR
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.2rosenthals.com
since: 16 Aug, 2003
3. Re:IPX and NFS under eComStation 1.1
Briefly:

To use IPX, you need to specify the frame type (see the options in MPTS). Usually, this will be 802.2, but it could be 802.3, Ethernet II, or Ethernet SNAP. If you do not bind the proper frame type to the interface, it simply will not work. Unlike other systems (namely, Windows), OS/2 does not have an "auto" frame type option. You'll need to find out what frame type is running on your network by asking the system administrator (Novell NetWare has defaulted to 802.2 since NetWare 4, though some networks continue to use - ill advised, I might add - 802.3 frames).

Nothing needs to go into IBMLAN.INI to enable IPX. The protocol.ini entries which need to be addressed are listed clearly in MPTS:

[odi2ndi_nif]

DriverName = odi2ndi$
Bindings = CISCOPCM_nif,E100BEO2_nif
NETADDRESS = "I00409641DC06",
TOKEN-RING = "no","no"
TOKEN-RING_SNAP = "no","no"
ETHERNET_802.3 = "no","no"
ETHERNET_802.2 = "yes","yes"
ETHERNET_II = "no","no"
ETHERNET_SNAP = "no","no"
TRACE = 0x0

(Two cards in my wife's machine, from which I'm posting this; the NETADDRESS parameter is usually optional, but if you find that you have trouble binding the protocol, try setting this parameter.)

NFS is probably already installed on your system. Look for a line in CONFIG.SYS similar to:

IFS=C:\IBMLAN\NETPROG\NETWKSTA.200 /I:C:\IBMLAN /N

That's NFS (version 2; for version 3, you'll need to use SAMBA: check out the NetDrive SAMBA plugin). I don't recall offhand exactly where I installed NFS on these boxes now, as it goes back some time.

Good luck!

PS - Yes, you may certainly use Wintendo ICS by specifying the address as your default gateway (router). Be sure that your own IP address is on the same network, though. The Win box simply runs as a (rather poor) router. You'd be better off picking up a LinkSys BEFSR41 4-port broadband router for $40 or so, IMHO.

---
Lewis
--------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA
Rosenthal & Rosenthal

Date: 02 Feb, 2005 on 06:38
LewisR
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.2rosenthals.com
since: 16 Aug, 2003
4. Re:IPX and NFS under eComStation 1.1
Oops... Re: NFS - I meant to say, look for:

IFS=C:\MPTN\bin\nfs300.ifs

in CONFIG.SYS.

Mea culpa.

---
Lewis
--------------------------
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA
Rosenthal & Rosenthal

Date: 02 Feb, 2005 on 06:41
Toby
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
5. Re:IPX and NFS under eComStation 1.1
last updated at 03 Feb, 2005 20:31 (2 times)
Hi, LewisR

Thanks for telling me how to configure IPX!

But there are still Problems:

1.IPX

As I mentioned above MPTS has an error if it wants to change the config.sys for the IPX Settings.
Therefore it would be nice if you could also post the commands which have to stand in the CONFIG.SYS for the use of IPX. (And of course also for the IBM Netware Requester Support)

You said that IPX wouldn't need commands inside ibmlan.ini,
but I also need to install IBM Netware Requester Support in order to get IPX working.
Don't you also need any settings inside the ibmlan.ini if you install the IBM Netware Requester Support?

2. NFS
As I searched the config.sys for the IFS Statement you mentioned above (IFS=C:\MPTN\bin\nfs300.ifs)
and the the Harddisk (with *NFS.*),
I couldn't find any commands or files which had something to do with the NFS Protocoll,
execpt only one file which had a link to IBM.
But this Website only explained how to configure NFS and not how to install it.

Therefore I would like to ask you if you could be so kind to zip the NFS files and post them here.

Toby

PS:
When you post these files could you please, also describe in which folder the files will have to go!!

Thanks!

Date: 03 Feb, 2005 on 20:28
Toby
Normal member
in user

6. Re:IPX and NFS under eComStation 1.1
Hi, LewisR

I finished the installation of the IPX Protocoll, but NFS is still a problem! As I found out by searching the internet, the only file I would need to get NFS working is really the nfs300.ifs which is located in C:\MPTN\bin.

I would really like to get NFS working, because I´ve got two linux computers which don´t have samba, but NFS configured and I don´t really like Netdrive, because I think that it is really much more easier to configure it by using the build in TCP/IP configuration tool!!

Toby

Thanks!

Date: 27 Mar, 2005 on 14:31
ddelcol
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/rdbms
since: 17 Oct, 2002
7. Re:IPX and NFS under eComStation 1.1

Toby (27 Mar, 2005 14:31):
Hi, LewisR

I finished the installation of the IPX Protocoll, but NFS is still a problem! As I found out by searching the internet, the only file I would need to get NFS working is really the nfs300.ifs which is located in C:\MPTN\bin.

I would really like to get NFS working, because I´ve got two linux computers which don´t have samba, but NFS configured and I don´t really like Netdrive, because I think that it is really much more easier to configure it by using the build in TCP/IP configuration tool!!

Toby

Thanks!

Look at TCP/IP Implementation in an OS/2 Warp Environment Chapter 15 Remote File Systems or "sg244730.pdf" Redbook from IBM's site www.ibm.com/redbooks .

Cheers

Date: 27 Mar, 2005 on 21:09
Toby
Normal member
in user

8. Re:IPX and NFS under eComStation 1.1
Hi, ddelcol

Thank you!
But I already know how to use the nfs protocoll under OS/2, but my problem is that I don´t own the mentioned file nfs300.ifs!!

Toby

Date: 28 Mar, 2005 on 14:20
eCSRD
Normal member
in user

since: 29 Mar, 2005
9. Re:IPX and NFS under eComStation 1.1
Hey !
Install fixpack UN02334.zip + WR08708.zip
(from IBM or from ecomstation).
nfs300.ifs is in the fixpack

---
Best regards (in french : Tres cordialement or A+)
eCSRD
Date: 29 Mar, 2005 on 12:51
Toby
Normal member
in user

10. Re:IPX and NFS under eComStation 1.1
last updated at 29 Mar, 2005 15:54 (1 times)
Hi, eCSRD

That are the information which I needed!!
I hope that the files are´nt that big, because I am still using a 56KB Modem connection.

Toby

Date: 29 Mar, 2005 on 15:53
IPX and NFS under eComStation 1.1
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: