Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Networking
Internet and file sharing?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://members.home.nl/cwroossien/
since: 04 Feb, 2004
1. Internet and file sharing?
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I have a problem;
I got an extra PC and put an extra netcard in my PC so I would like to do file sharing and go on the internet with my client..
When I boot in win milennium all works fine so the client should be configured good..
But in eCS I can't even ping to 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2
My configuration is as follows ;

3COM fast etherlink ----> Internet
0 - IBM TCP/IP

Inotec Virtual Switch
0 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS
2 - IBM OS/2 NETBIOS OVER TCP/IP
1 - IBM TCP/IP

Intell 2104x --------> client
0 - inotec virtual switch protocol

setup.cmd ;

route -fh
arp -f
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0
dhcpstrt -i lan0
ifconfig lan1 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast metric metric 1 mtu 1500 metric mtu 1500 metric mtu 1500
REM ifconfig lan2
REM ifconfig lan3
REM ifconfig lan4
REM ifconfig lan5
REM ifconfig lan6
REM ifconfig lan7
REM ifconfig sl0
route add -net 192.168.0.0 192.168.0.1 -netmask 255.255.255.0 -hopcount 1
ipgate on

Before I go (endless) experimenting.. maybe someone can give me some hints??

Date: 27 Feb, 2005 on 01:19
FrMike
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://frmike.com
since: 17 Aug, 2003
2. Re:Internet and file sharing?
Chris,

Could you clarify some things? It looks like this one machine has two NIC's in it. The one you have set up as interface 0, the 3Com, might be connected to a DSL or ISDN modem while the NIC on interface 1, the Intel one, must be connected to the LAN. I can guess these things by the fact that you are using DHCP on interface 0 but fixed IP addresses on interface 1. The reason I guess that you are not using a cable modem is that you can connect straight through without that infernal PPPoE. Now, if you ARE using a cable modem or are talking through your telco using PPPoE, you've got several more configuration problems than those you're already aware of.

In any event, it appears that you might intend to use this machine as a gateway between your LAN and the internet. Be aware that the sharing of the internet connection isn't going to work unless you add on some software that does network address translation for the other hosts on your LAN.

Now we come to the things I can't quite guess. 1. When you set up Windows ME, were you running it on this same machine using this two-interface setup? Were you using static addresses (192.168.0.x) with ME, as you are using with eCS?

2. Your \mptn\bin\setup.cmd file looks a little confused. That "broadcast metric metric 1 mtu 1500 metric mtu 1500 metric mtu 1500" is absolutely broken; it means that interface 1 is not being configured. How were you editing this whole business? Did you remember to do what Innotek says to do before you fiddle with MPTS? If you forget to disable the Innotek pseudo-NIC, bad things are supposed to happen. The chewing up of lines in setup.cmd might be one of these bad things. That line probably ought to be
ifconfig lan1 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 metric 1
with nothing else. (The default MTU for Ethernet is already 1500.)

3. This is so obvious it's dumb, but, believe me, you can feel *really* dumb for overlooking it. Are you sure those other machines on the network are working and talking on the LAN?

4. Which do the other machines on your LAN use to share files: straight NetBIOS or NetBIOS over TCP/IP? Obviously, if you are using the latter, you won't get file sharing until the TCP/IP works. If you are using vanilla NetBIOS (the sane choice for small networks), you ought to be able to connect to the other machines. Are you able to do this?

It is definitely a Bad Sign that this machine cannot ping itself. My guess is that your TCP/IP problem lies in that funky ifconfig lan1 statement. Also, I would lose that route add net statement: it is superfluous (that's what your're already getting by the netmask 255.255.255.0 in the ifconfig lan1 statement).

The first thing I'd try is go to a command prompt and type
ifconfig lan1 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 metric 1
and then hit <enter>, then I'd try that ping. If your LAN doesn't magically start working, you've got other problems. (One of the shimmering beauties of OS/2 is that you can change your IP configuration on the fly. You just can't do that on 95, 98, or ME. You can even change the MTU the same way; on Windows, changing the MTU is a real PITA, even in 2000 or XP.)

So--try this little change and let us know what happened.

Date: 01 Mar, 2005 on 05:55
ChrisR
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://members.home.nl/cwroossien/
since: 04 Feb, 2004
3. Re:Internet and file sharing?
I'm on a cable modem.. the internet is no problem..

1- yes, I use the same IP ect as in ME

2 - I'm getting old.. .. just completely overlooked it.. well I was concentrating on the first part of this line..

3 - (blush).. and yes.. they are talking..

4 - only TCP/IP and M$ filesharing.. because I could not ping. I did not do any thing else yet

[ Be aware that the sharing of the internet connection isn't going to work unless you add on some software that does network address translation for the other hosts on your LAN. ]
So.. routing does not work ?

Anyway, I can ping now, since I took this error off my setup.cmd.. so now there is something to talk to..
Thanks for pointing my nose is this silly thing...

Grts Chris..

Date: 03 Mar, 2005 on 00:28
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 10 Aug, 2004
4. Re:Internet and file sharing?

ChrisR (03 Mar, 2005 00:2:

[ Be aware that the sharing of the internet connection isn't going to work unless you add on some software that does network address translation for the other hosts on your LAN. ]
So.. routing does not work ?

Hi,

For what you're trying to do, the routing in Warp won't do it natively. If you had enough *real* IP address assigned from your cable company, you could use the routing in Warp to share the connection. But since you probably only have the one single IP address, you'll need some type of Network Address Translation software such as Injoy Firewall:

http://www.fx.dk/firewall/index.html

You're probably thinking that WinME does this natively, so why can't warp? Well, to answer that question - WinME wouldn't have had sharing either, but Microsoft decided back in the Windows 98 development days to buy out one of the many new companies offering internet sharing software. They then took that stand alone product off the market and "integrated" it into Windows 98 (and all future versions).

Hope this helps.

Date: 03 Mar, 2005 on 03:14
FrMike
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://frmike.com
since: 17 Aug, 2003
5. Re:Internet and file sharing?
(This reiterates what Fahrvenugen says about IP-address assignments and Network Address Translation but also outlines some further suggestions.)

Routing on your LAN ought to work fine--it's working now, after all. You could even do something cute like putting Apache on your new machine and setting up a little web site on your own intranet. (Or instead of Apache you could use Web/2 or GoServe, both of which let you do server-side scripting with REXX!)

The problem you'd have is routing to the internet. The point of having two interfaces on the gateway machine is to allow it to filter out some of the badness on the internet from the less-protected hosts on your LAN (especially if some are Windoze machines). Sure, setting up the IPGATE ON will let your machine act like a router, but the problem is that only the machine connected directly to the cable modem is assigned a public IP address. The other hosts have only private IP addresses. These addresses do fine for routing on a LAN, but packets with private IP addresses would literally get lost on the global internet. In your setup, all the machines would have to have public addresses in order for the internet-connection sharing to work. This is not a good solution: not only would this negate any possibility of filtering packets, it would mean that your internet provider would charge you a lot more than you're paying for a single IP address.

The solution is a nifty little animal called Network Address Translation (NAT). NAT software, which runs on the gateway machine, modifies the headers of inbound and outbound packets to make it appear that they are all coming from and going to a single IP address.

EComstation 1.1 and later comes with Internet Assistant, which, among other things, does Network Address Translation. I've read a lot of reports of people having problems setting it up, though. While I myself have used all of the packages I mention in this note, Internet Assistant is the only one that's never worked for me. Yet it might work for you--I was trying to apply it to complicated setup. Since it comes with eCS, you might want to give it a try.

InJoy Firewall is a great industrial-strength product that does NAT and has advanced firewall functions. It's hardly free, but it's very capable. I got it way back at version 1.4, when it was cheaper.

What I use nowadays for new installations is a solution that's nice and cheap and flexible: dedicated routers. I don't mean the super-duper high-capacity ones that are part of the internet backbone, but the widely available consumer ones. They might be called cable-modem routers; some of them are also wireless access points. They have the same basic setup as what your gateway machine would need: two ethernet interfaces plus NAT/firewall software. The port that plugs into the cable modem or DSL modem can handle whatever funky login or special protocol that you might need to talk with your provider. You seem to be have the good luck of having to a straight ethernet connection, so this feature is not of so much interest to you. What you might value more is that these boxes also have some firewall function. This protection is above and beyond the protection you get just from using NAT.

These little boxes also incorporate DHCP servers. This lets you add hosts that use dynamically assigned IP addresses if you want. But you don't *have* to use dynamic IP addresses. You can even have a mixed static/dynamic setup.

If you use Internet Assistant or Injoy Firewall or some similar package that runs on your gateway computer, you should stick with the setup you have already outlined: two interfaces, one for the LAN, one for the internet. On the other hand, if you go with the router box, you can take advantage of the fact that it is also a switch, so that both of your computers plug directly into it. On the machine you're setting up, it's the second NIC (LAN1, the Intel one) that gets plugged into the router. The first interface (LAN0) doesn't get used. Leave it in the machine, though, unless you want to go through another round of MPTS and configuration-file tweaking.

You can probably even reuse the same two ethernet cables you're using now. Right now, I'd suppose you have connected the two computers directly using a crossover cable. Cables between a computer and a hub or switch should be straight-through cables, but most switches nowadays can work either way.

I hope this clarifies things a bit.

Date: 03 Mar, 2005 on 07:47
Internet and file sharing?
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: