Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Networking
Installing drivers
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
zizban
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 24 Feb, 2005
1. Installing drivers
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I have a Realtek NIC card and I found drivers for it, but it doesn't have an .exe or an installer. How do I install them?
Date: 03 Mar, 2005 on 00:49
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 10 Aug, 2004
2. Re:Installing drivers
Hi,

A few questions:

1. Do you already have MPTS installed?
2. Do you already have TCP/IP installed?

Assuming the answers are yes to both, then you can get your Realtek driver installed.

The first step is to unzip the driver for your NIC into its own directory on the hard drive.

Then start up MPTS - open up a command prompt and type: MPTS

You'll be able to go into "Configure LAN adapter and protocols" from there. Click on the "Other Adapters" option, and type in the path to your driver, hit OK.

It will copy over the files, and your adapter should now appear (see cautionary note below) somewhere on the list of network adapters that you can add to your setup. Add the network adapter and then add the needed protocol (tcp/ip usually, maybe also netbios and / or netbios over tcpip)

Cautionary note: Due to a bug in some of the older versions of MPTS, sometimes the network card won't appear in the list of available cards after the first time you use the "add other adapter". If this happens then repeat the process of adding the adapter - it generally shows up on the second attempt. As far as I know, IBM fixed this problem in newer versions, but earlier ones (including the MPTS included in the base Warp 3 connect and the base Warp 4 release) you had to "add" the card twice. I do not believe this is a problem on any release of eComStation.

Another comment on the Realtek cards in particular - I've used quite a few of these cards over the years, and find them to work very well under Warp. However if it is a RealTek 8029AS based card, there is a newer (better) driver on Hobbes that fixes some longstanding bugs. For other cards, the drivers on the RealTek site seem to work

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloads1-1.aspx?lineid=1

Once your card is installed. run the TCP/IP setup and you should be able to configure your card.

Hope this helps.

Date: 03 Mar, 2005 on 02:57
zizban
Normal member
in user

3. Re:Installing drivers
Its a Realtek 8139D it seems and I found drivers for it. I installed them in MTPS but it doesn't show on the list. I tried again and it gave an error about the file being in use but its still not on the list.
Date: 03 Mar, 2005 on 18:24
Martin
Team member
in admin

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.os2world.com/
since: 10 Dec, 2000
4. Re:Installing drivers
Which OS/2 version are you using ??
Which fixpack ?
Did you installed a MPTS or TCP/IP fix/updated ?

FYI

This site is very good for NIC Driver.
http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=nicpak

Date: 03 Mar, 2005 on 20:53
zizban
Normal member
in user

5. Re:Installing drivers
Well, I got the nic card to show up under MPTS. Upon reboot, after the OS/2 Warp graphic it gives me a screen full of meaningless text starting with C000005
DOSCALL1.DLL

Then all sorts of letters and numbers that mean nothing to me. It hung like that for hours before I reinstalled the OS.

I installed fixpack 15; I'll search for other fixpacks after the I get the system up nd running again.

Date: 03 Mar, 2005 on 22:52
zizban
Normal member
in user

6. Re:Installing drivers
last updated at 04 Mar, 2005 02:20 (1 times)
Using that link above I got my Realtek card working, I think. I can ping my router. I need to get an irc client and test the connection.
Date: 04 Mar, 2005 on 01:23
zizban
Normal member
in user

7. Re:Installing drivers
I can't connect to the outside world. I cannot wait for my eComstation cds.
Date: 04 Mar, 2005 on 02:21
zizban
Normal member
in user

8. Re:Installing drivers
My network problems are over. I found this tutorial which is awesome, in case anyone needs it:
http://www.deltasys.org/tcpip.html

Thanks all!

Date: 04 Mar, 2005 on 03:12
Fahrvenugen
Premium member
in user

since: 10 Aug, 2004
9. Re:Installing drivers
last updated at 04 Mar, 2005 07:18 (2 times)
Glad it is working for you! That error you got sounds like you had a buggy driver, but obviously you got it to work. Hope you enjoy OS/2!
Date: 04 Mar, 2005 on 07:15
Installing drivers
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: