Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Networking
Connect to W2K share drive via TCP/IP
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Learner
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 05 Mar, 2005
1. Connect to W2K share drive via TCP/IP
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I am a learner for OS/2 and my company has a OS/2 ver 4 machine connecting to the network by both TCP/IP and Netbeui.

The TCP/IP connection is for the OS/2 to receive files from AS400 where the Netbeui is for the OS/2 to send the result files to a NT server share drive after process.

We are going to phase out all NT server and don't want to maintain Netbeui anymore. Is it possible for me to use TCP/IP to connect to W2K server and map a drive? If yes, what is the required step?

Appreciate for your help.

Date: 05 Mar, 2005 on 04:42
sunlover
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 18 Feb, 2005
2. Re:Connect to W2K share drive via TCP/IP

Learner (05 Mar, 2005 04:42):
We are going to phase out all NT server and don't want to maintain Netbeui anymore. Is it possible for me to use TCP/IP to connect to W2K server and map a drive? If yes, what is the required step?

Hi Learner

If you need to connect to W2K server then you may want to try NetDrive for OS/2 with Samba plugin.

NetDrive: http://www.blueprintsoftwareworks.com/netdrive
Samba plugin: ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/samba/ndpsmb-3.0.9-b7.zip

Installaton of both packages is well documented.

When you'll mount the W2K share (using NetDrive Control Panel) select smbfs resource type and the in resource properties specify:
Workgroup: leave blank
Server: IP address of the W2K machine
Share: leave it blank or specify name of share to be mounted, for example if full path to share is \\W2KSERVER\DATA, then specify DATA as share name.
User,Password are required if the server requires it, otherwise leave blank
Master:: select 'server' and type IP address of W2K machine in the next field
Memory buffer, Logfile, Loglevel: leave as is.

Hope this helps.

It is also possible to use OS/2 NetBIOS over TCPIP protocol. It can be configured in OS/2 System/System Setup/MPTS. But AFAIK there are problems with connecting to W2K or XP shares. I did not use it, so can't tell what to do.

Date: 05 Mar, 2005 on 16:00
Learner
Normal member
in user

since: 05 Mar, 2005
3. Re:Connect to W2K share drive via TCP/IP
Thanks very much sunlover.

However, my company is very conservative and third party software is not allowed to install on production machine.

The other way you mentioned using OS/2 NetBIOS over TCPIP protocol may be a good choice to us. Do you know where can I find more information? As I am not familiar with OS2 I need steps by steps procedures.

Thanks!

Date: 06 Mar, 2005 on 04:57
sunlover
Normal member
in user

since: 18 Feb, 2005
4. Re:Connect to W2K share drive via TCP/IP

Learner (06 Mar, 2005 04:57):
The other way you mentioned using OS/2 NetBIOS over TCPIP protocol may be a good choice to us. Do you know where can I find more information? As I am not familiar with OS2 I need steps by steps procedures.

I'm sorry but I can't tell what exactly would be necessary.

In general you should use MPTS configuration program (in System Setup folder).
There you can choose NetBIOS over TCPIP protocol.
There is documentation C:\IBMCOM\mptscfg.inf
To open it use 'view C:\IBMCOM\mptscfg.inf' command.

Date: 06 Mar, 2005 on 15:45
Connect to W2K share drive via TCP/IP
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: