Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Networking
obtain IP address automatically
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Bobber
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 28 Sep, 2004
1. obtain IP address automatically
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I am using eCS 1.2. My ISP is via Wireless broadband and I am connected to the inet with their Hawking wireless bridge modem. All works well. I am adding a Linksys broadband router. How and where do I set up eCS to obtain an IP address automatically? My IP is static at 65.121.99.247.

My windoze partition works well with the new router but here again, I don't use that partition much A-tall.

Date: 15 Apr, 2005 on 08:34
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Nov, 2002
2. Re:obtain IP address automatically
last updated at 15 Apr, 2005 12:18 (1 times)
HI,

there's serevral ways to do so. Actually, I would just modify the cmd file that runs the ip setup but as I don't know how different the tcp/ip-stuff of ecs1.2 is compared to the 1.1 I have here, I suggest you'ld better run tcp/ip setup (run "tcpfg2" if that still exists in ecs1.2) and set up the "lan interface 0" to "automatic with dhcp".
This will set up the lan interface to use dhcp (dynmic ip) always.

Perhaps ecs1.2 has a new and nice icon somewhere to setup tcp/ip or the entire network stuff... just take a look around in the system configuration folder...

If you just want to give a try without modifying your setup, you can do so by running the following command in a command-line window:
dhcpstrt -i lan0 -d 20
...which tries to obtain an ip dynamically for Interface (-i) LAN0 by using a delay (-d) of 20 seconds. That means, that if there is no response within 20 seconds, it will quit showing an appropriate error message and return to the command prompt (while in the background continuing to retrieve an IP).
The configuration achieved by this command is valid for your entire machine until you re-configure or re-boot.

If the command completes after just a few seconds, without any error message... you're likely to have a working dhcp! To check if it *really* works, run
ping www.os2world.com
for example. This will tell you if
- your NIC was assigned an IP
- the routing table (default route to router) is okay
- the DNS information (supplied by the router) is okay

Hope this helps.
Greetings
Thomas

Date: 15 Apr, 2005 on 12:12
Bobber
Normal member
in user

3. Re:obtain IP address automatically
Thanks Much Thomas!!

The "dhcpstrt -i lan0 20" run from the command-line works nicely.

I am running eCS 1.25. I am able to hook all 3 machines to my LinkSys router and use the inet by using the command line you supplied. I am still trying to use the setup in eCS to obtain the same results but haven't found the right combo yet. That end result will come with time and is not a Major problem for me.

You saved the day for me.

Date: 16 Apr, 2005 on 03:42
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

since: 26 Nov, 2002
4. Re:obtain IP address automatically

Bobber (16 Apr, 2005 03:42):
I am still trying to use the setup in eCS to obtain the same results but haven't found the right combo yet.

Bobber,

unless someone else comes up with a "detailed" description on how to do it on ecs1.2 I'll simply describe how to do it on ecs1.1 - hopefully, the differences aren't too big:
Basically, you just need to run the TCP/IP configuration dialog. There's two ways of starting it...

Method 1)
In a comman-window, run "tcpcfg2" (without the quotes of course).

Method 2)
Open system configuration folder, then "Network" and "TCP/IP".
There should be "notebook" icon named "tcp/ip configuration"
Double-click it

This should bring up the TCP/IP setup and configuration dialog. On the left part of the first tab, you'll see lan interfaces 0 to 7 and the loopback interface. Make sure interface 0 is selected, then take a look on th right part (note: I'm running a german eCS so exact wording might differ from what I translate it to);
The checkbox "activate interface" should be checked.
Next, there's a group of two options with corresponding items to each.
In your case, I expect the lower option button "manually" to be selected along with your static ip adress and the netmask (255.255.255.0). Now simply select the upper option button instead ("automatic with dhcp"). The corresponding 2 checkboxes "use previous dhcp configuration on restart" and "use ddns too" don't need to be checked - especially don't check "use ddns" (unless you run a ddns server on some machine in your LAN).
That's all - click "OK" then confirm the changes.

What this stuff actually does is changing your tcp/ip setup command file which is called by config.sys. In eCS1.1 it's "\mptn\bin\setup.cmd".
When using static ip, this file should contain a line starting with:
ifconfig lan0 ...
If you have DHCP (dynamic ip) the above line will be REMmed (to disable that line):
rem ifconfig lan0 ...
And an additional line is added - you know this one:
dhcpstrt -i lan0

Note that the default "timeout" for dhcpstrt is 30 seconds (if no "-d nn" parameter is specified) so you're free to edit the file and specifiy a different timeout.

Actually, you can also simply edit the command file to contain a rem-med line for static ip and add the dhcpstrt command. Done.
But I wanted to show you where that setup stuff is.

Greetings (and keeping fingers crossed)
Thomas

Now your tcp/ip setup command file should contain "dhcpstrt......" instead of "ifconfig lan0...."

Date: 16 Apr, 2005 on 10:34
Bobber
Normal member
in user

5. Re:obtain IP address automatically
Thomas,

eCS 1.1 and 1.25 appear to be the same for the setup. I used tcpcfg2 and followed your instructions. A tab "Routing" is the 2nd tab (immediately following the "Network" tab)and I filled it in as:

Route type - Net
Destination Address - 65.121.99.247
Router - 65.121.99.225
Metric Count - 1
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.224

A tab "Host Names" is the 3rd tab and I filled it in as:

Name Server Address - 65.121.99.5

The 65.121.99.5 is my DNS Server as provided by my ISP. Additionally, 65.121.99.6 was provided but I did not use it for this exercise.

I don't know if I filled in everything with what is "correct" but, all 3 computers now access my Linksys router immediately without the command line exercise.

Have I done all correctly? Your help and patience is appreciated.

Date: 16 Apr, 2005 on 17:50
obtain IP address automatically
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: