Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Networking
Flow Control
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
Bobber
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 28 Sep, 2004
1. Flow Control
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
I am using eCS 1.2. My ISP is via Wireless broadband and I am connected to the inet with their Hawking wireless bridge modem and a Linksys broadband router. During bootup the monitor displays Flow Control: Transmit:Disabled, Receive:Disabled directly following the line Link Configuration: Auto Negotiation Enabled.

Can someone explain to me what Flow Control is AND what do I need to do to enable same?

Date: 19 Apr, 2005 on 18:19
RosinCore
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this memberhttp://www.canconweb.net
since: 20 Aug, 2002
2. Re:Flow Control
Flow control is what commincations devices use to talk back and forth (simplified version).
So basically, if your computer wants to talk to the wireless network, the computer could tell the network that it is free to accept data... and the network can tell the computer when it is free to accept data.
There are other carrier signals they can set as well, ie: busy, clear to send, clear to transmit etc...

The general rule of thumb is: if it is working, then dont change it.

General flow (for serial (RS232 etc) are Xon/Xoff, Software or Hardware. I'm not sure what protocols they use in wireless tho...

Hope that helps...

Date: 19 Apr, 2005 on 22:24
Bobber
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 28 Sep, 2004
3. Re:Flow Control
Thanks RosinCore,

Certainly does help and thanks for the clarification.

Date: 20 Apr, 2005 on 02:38
Flow Control
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: