Home | Gallery | Forum | Services | Webmail | Archive | Links | Contact Us | About Us
OS2 World.Com Forum
OS2 World.Com Online Discussion Forum.
Index / OS/2 - General / Networking
tcpip and peer not binding to nic
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
juharr
Normal member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 28 Apr, 2005
1. tcpip and peer not binding to nic
Reply to this topic with quote Modify your message
Installing ecs12 on a newly built system. basic dfi miniatx mb w/integrated via nic. ect. did a couple test installs w/ecs11 while waiting for 12. got everything working - nic, sound, usb, video - if a little cludgy. I had peer and tcpip working. now installed ecs12 on a clean partition and I cant even ping myself. it is like the stack has not been started. peer is dead as well. the nic driver loads and sees the chip, the nic talks to the router ( or seems to by the lights).

I open the tcpip configbook and I see the routes ect I put in, but netstat -r says ' no routes' . ping reports 'no route to host' even to localhost. when i boot w/ lan0 set to auto/dhcp and nothing plugged in i do NOT get an error - so either it thinks it is getting a tcpip address from an imaginary server, or tcpip is not running. maybe.

when i set it to manual still dead. for peer, the requester will not start errors out as 'network failed'

so i go back and reinstall ecs11 on a test partition cause it worked before, right? so there must be some problem with the ecs12 install.... ha ha, now the ecs11 install does the same thing... what the h*** .....?

did i blow the nic somehow?? but even with no nic i should be able to hit the loopback interface, right?

driver problem?? but i am using the same driver i used before, the one that nicpak recommends. local corruption of driver?? maybe, did fresh download and sneakernet over, still no go. at my wits end w/this.

done evrything I can think of to try, any fresh ideas, help out there???

tia
Justin harrison
juharr@verizon.net

later....

ok so i did some digging and reading. for some reason setup.cmd was not running. when i run it I am able to ping localhost, so the loopback is now working. the issue seems to be some conflict that is preventing protocol.ini from properly binding to the nic. lantran.log says ' multiple adapters trying to use same interupt..' but i have only the one adapter and driver installed... hhhmmmmmm
any more ideas?
justin

Date: 28 Apr, 2005 on 05:24
warpcafe
Premium member
in user

View this member's profileSearch all posts from this memberSend an email to this member
since: 26 Nov, 2002
2. Re:tcpip and peer not binding to nic
Justin,

what I can imagine as a cause by what you described is that your protocol.ini, ibmlan.ini and config.sys stuff doesn't match anymore due to something that corrupted them.
I can't tell for the cause. What I would suggest is:
- run mpts
- remove everything
- save; exit; do NOT reboot
- delete \ibmlan\ibmlan.ini
- delete \ibmcom\protocol.ini
- delete NIC device driver calls from config.sys
- reboot and ignore all errors
- run mpts again and set up as required (nic, protocols)
- save; exit; reboot

Note that this is a quite "rude" way and I can't tell if that solves the problem. Personally, I would go for checking the
files ibmlan.ini, protocol ini and config.sys manually, but this is quite time-comsuming if I explain and tell you what to check for... or: Zip the files and attach them here, I'll take a look.

If you zip them, this is what I need:
\ibmlan\ibmlan.ini
\ibmcom\protocol.ini
\mptn\bin\setup.cmd
\config.sys
\ibmlan\lantran.log

Greetings
Thomas

Date: 28 Apr, 2005 on 11:53
juharr
Normal member
in user

3. Re:tcpip and peer not binding to nic
just wiped partition and did fresh install - same symptoms sigh..... here are the files. I don't mind rtfm. but i've been looking for some practical applied tcpip reading. everything seems to be divided between ' open this dialog and push this button' or 'netbind the slipper to nic behind the stack when its tuesday' and not much in between....;-]

hmmm having trouble attaching the zip file. ok if i email to you?

Date: 29 Apr, 2005 on 04:32
juharr
Normal member
in user

4. Re:tcpip and peer not binding to nic
I got it..... a resource conflict w/USB.... to much stuff trying to grab int11.
thanks thanks thanks.
/justin
Date: 29 Apr, 2005 on 05:08
tcpip and peer not binding to nic
Post a new topic Reply to this Topic Printable Version of this Topic Forward this Topic to your Friend Topic Commands (for administrator or moderators only)
All times are CET+1. < Prev. | P. 1 | Next >
Go to: